• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stay or Go...

Associate
Afternoon all,
After reading all the lastest posts I'd be right in thinking that as im upgrading I from a 939 3700+ that I am as well to move away from AMD's AM2 dual core and go str8 to Conroe. Although I favour AMD it doesnt seem that there are many advantages in going down the AM2 road especially as it doesnt seem that there will be any major upgrades to compete with intel.
Question is:
Should I stay or should I go....!!??
Mark

Man of Honour
There is absolutley no point inbuilding a new rig based around AMD's AM2 socket right now. Conroe is miles ahead and is the way to go for the foreseeable future. It's also no more expensive than AM2 dual core processors either yet Conroe leaves them in it's dust.

Permabanned
Markatomic said:
Afternoon all,
After reading all the lastest posts I'd be right in thinking that as im upgrading I from a 939 3700+ that I am as well to move away from AMD's AM2 dual core and go str8 to Conroe. Although I favour AMD it doesnt seem that there are many advantages in going down the AM2 road especially as it doesnt seem that there will be any major upgrades to compete with intel.
Question is:
Should I stay or should I go....!!??
Mark

depends on how you shop, if your a best bang for buck shopper youl go straight to conroe. If your an ethical and loyal shopper you wont touch Intel with a 400 foot barge pole, not even if the tip of said pole had been blessed by god himself.

AM2 at present doesnt offer anything over sckt 939, but people are forgetting 939 is still a powerful and very stable platform with CPU`s widely available for it at most places, just not OCUK as they have obviously decided they dont need the business... in any case AM2+ is where we will finally start to see some larger improvements and hopefully a performance levelling with late AM2+ and AM3, (all of which will run on an AM2 socket)

alternatively you can pick up an X2 4400+ 939 brand new for £110 or an opteron 170 939 for £115 brand new, and clock the hell out of them. saves a full upgrade, keeps you ahead of the curve for the next 12 months.

Last edited:
Associate
locutus12 said:
depends on how you shop, if your a best bang for buck shopper youl go straight to conroe. If your an ethical and loyal shopper you wont touch Intel with a 400 foot barge pole, not even if the tip of said pole had been blessed by god himself.

AM2 at present doesnt offer anything over sckt 939, but people are forgetting 939 is still a powerful and very stable platform with CPU`s widely available for it at most places, just not OCUK as they have obviously decided they dont need the business... in any case AM2+ is where we will finally start to see some larger improvements and hopefully a performance levelling with late AM2+ and AM3, (all of which will run on an AM2 socket)

alternatively you can pick up an X2 4400+ 939 brand new for £110 or an opteron 170 939 for £115 brand new, and clock the hell out of them. saves a full upgrade, keeps you ahead of the curve for the next 12 months.

Any x2 4400+ or 4800+ are going being priced high, I have seen a 4800 go for £350 retail due to lack of stock, I have had 2 x 4400+, 2 x 4600 & 1 x 4800+ their all quality cpu's but who would spend £350 on a processor where something can be bought £100 cheaper and kkkiiiiiiillllllllllllllll Iiiiiiiiiitttttttttt.

Permabanned
dark4orz said:
Any x2 4400+ or 4800+ are going being priced high, I have seen a 4800 go for £350 retail due to lack of stock, I have had 2 x 4400+, 2 x 4600 & 1 x 4800+ their all quality cpu's but who would spend £350 on a processor where something can be bought £100 cheaper and kkkiiiiiiillllllllllllllll Iiiiiiiiiitttttttttt.

simple you wouldnt, and you wouldnt have to, i just bought myself a brand new opteron 170 for £115. there plenty of stock around, just not on OCUK.

Soldato
locutus12 said:
simple you wouldnt, and you wouldnt have to, i just bought myself a brand new opteron 170 for £115. there plenty of stock around, just not on OCUK.
They seem to clock well ATM a lot hitting 3Ghz on low volts .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom