OVERVIEW
cpu - QX6700
cooler - Tuniq Tower
gfx - bfg 8800 gtx
ram - corsair dominator 6400 2x 1GB sticks
drive 1 - 74gb raptor
drive 2 - 320gb seagate
----------------------------
When i turn the PC on i get a FF error displaying on the motherboard little LED display.

The PC also has started turning itself off after.... 30 seconds maby...

If i hold delete and go into the setup, select "system monitor2 i can see all the system spec, watching the CPU temp climb. it went to 90 then the pc turned off, ill leave it off now (dont want to try again yet, been at it all damn day). but is this WHY its turning off? whats up? is it broken?

when i installed it i barly touched it :confused: , droped it into place, wacked a bit of cpu thermal paste on the top then put the cooler on, attachec the fan onto the mobo an thats about it...

Soldato
FF on my mobo, dont know anyone elses is Normal Operation, thats what mine says now.

It went to 90c then went off? :eek:

I wouldnt have let it get that high, the cooler or paste isnt done correctly, thats way to high.

Reseat the HSF.

Soldato
Exactly how much thermal paste did you put on?? You're supposed to apply a pea sized blob in the centre of the CPU... Might also help if you tell us what your motherboard is ;)

Soldato
PilotTait said:
errr, i think i must have put to much paste on, a lot, what kind of stuff can i clean it with?

motherboard is evga nforce 680

t31os - whats HSF?

Heatsink/Fan Unit :)

If you have medical wipes, you can clean it with them because they contain alcohol then run around it with a cotton bud then a quick wipe with a different medical wipe to get any fibres left by the cotton bud off. Then put a pea sized blob of paste in the centre of the die and apply the heatsink. Simple :)

Associate
OP
thanks guys, ill give it a go tomorrow, been at it since 8am this morning, getting [No swearing - Minstadave] of with it now lol.

ill be back with more questions tomorrow no doubt ;)

Associate
PilotTait said:
thanks guys, ill give it a go tomorrow, been at it since 8am this morning, getting [Thank you for warning him but don't quote the sweary - Minstadave] of with it now lol.

ill be back with more questions tomorrow no doubt ;)

You might want to remove the bad language before the mods get you and throw you in the sin bin ! :eek:

Associate
Hi,

FF on an Asus board means it has reached the end of the boot sequence and all is well.

Your Heatsink is not properly in contact with your CPU. It might be sitting at a slight angle. Remove the clips and 'wiggle' the heatsink gently on the cpu to seat it, then fix the clips in place. Wiggle it again to make sure it feels properly seated.

The CPU has an inbuilt thermal protection, which kicks in and throttles the CPU to prevent damage.

Hope this helps.

[J]

Associate
OP
working now guys, after 2 hours of tinkering its coming up stable at about... 30C, now considering iv only ever seen temps of the CPU before when it went from 60 to 90 then turn off im guesing 30c is good...

Soldato
PilotTait said:
working now guys, after 2 hours of tinkering its coming up stable at about... 30C, now considering iv only ever seen temps of the CPU before when it went from 60 to 90 then turn off im guesing 30c is good...

Definately an improvement..... ;)

Associate
OP
thefishdude said:
and thought you were leaving this till tomorrow :D

couldnt resist lol

thanks for all the help! couldnt of done it without OCUK forum chaps ;)

only have a few other problems... well.... aint really problems, more "questions"

1) my RAM is running at the default timings and need to change this.... err.... how? :p

2) pc is running with 2 hard drives, drive1: 74gb raptor, drive2: 320gb seagate barracuda.
when i go into "my computer" it will only show up as one large drive, so... how do i alter this and what option am i looking to change it TO?

other than that its running pretty smoothly... installed battlefield2 last night before i went to bed just to test it and going from a really bad system that could only play on low settings and it was laggy, this beast can play it on full everything and at a high resolution as if it was running on low settings! can feel the power.

money well spent :)

Soldato
1.) In the BIOS, should be under the 'advanced' page or something along those lines :cool:

2.) Shouldn't be appearing as one drive unless you set RAID up but I don't see how that is possible with two completley different drives. My guess would be that you can see the raptor but not the Seagate. Anyway, easily solved- go to Start > Run > type 'diskmgmt.msc' > OK > Find the seagate drive in the list > Right-click > Format :) Make sure you do a full format though, none of this quick rubbish ;)

Associate
OP
oh, one little thing,

sometimes when i turn it on i get a C1 error code (memory as far as im aware), after poking about inside pushing the memory about i can turn it on and that will go away, but anoying though.... any ideas? motherboard update maby?

evga nForce 680...

Associate
OP
Trigger said:
1.) In the BIOS, should be under the 'advanced' page or something along those lines :cool:

2.) Shouldn't be appearing as one drive unless you set RAID up but I don't see how that is possible with two completley different drives. My guess would be that you can see the raptor but not the Seagate. Anyway, easily solved- go to Start > Run > type 'diskmgmt.msc' > OK > Find the seagate drive in the list > Right-click > Format :) Make sure you do a full format though, none of this quick rubbish ;)

ok ill give that a go, before i do, in "my computer" its showing up like:

used space: 6.65gb
free space: 291gb

hows that work lol, 74+320=394 not 298....
just a bit worried incase if i format the seagate the way you said i will lose some windows if its stored over both drives...

Back
Top Bottom