• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

To QUAD or not to QUAD, that is the question

Permabanned
I am about to buy my first intel since the MMX days! I have always been an AMD lover but it seems that i have to fall into the Dark-Side! :eek: :mad:
Any wahys!

I dont know if i should go for the QX6700 or X6800, look at it this way!
Both are sat there! both a free, without taking both what should i do? My gut feeling is the Quadie...

Permabanned
QUAD. no question. Its the newer tech chip. The 6800 is just a waste of dosh.

How do you get a sponsor to pay for your stuff? I want free stuff :D

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Depends if you are going to be using anything that will utilize all four cores.

Of course, if they were free, I'd take the quad, sell it, buy a E6600, clock it, pocket the extra cash ;)

Permabanned
OP
My place of work are my current sponsor! it has taken me close to a year to have them Budge! i wont get all my gear for a kiss! have to buy aswell.

Ill PM you...

The idea of selling and pocketness is a good un! but nah, not going to happen :(
I thought as much! the QX6800 could be on the cards then :)

Soldato
Hxc said:
Depends if you are going to be using anything that will utilize all four cores.

Of course, if they were free, I'd take the quad, sell it, buy a E6600, clock it, pocket the extra cash ;)

agreed, much better investment! quad is very unlikely to be needed by the vast majority of people on this forum! hell c2d is way more than most people need including myself!

Associate
Go for quad, although it is not true quad core, the newer games will benefit more from it than a conroe.

Also your e-penis will gain a good few inches.

Associate
dbappa said:
Intels current Quad core is two Conroes slapped together, thus not a true quad core built from scratch.

a native single die design wouldnt improve performance all that much on current architecture anyway. I've heard about a 3% performance gain. Point is, the QX6700 is a very good processor, read the reviews to find out for yourself :)

Soldato
M!!cook said:
My Needs for this RIG is wowfactor and benchmarking, i am i semi-pro gamer (well a crap one really), i do the odd bit of photoshop, i am sure i will find a new hobby to use the power!

So your after e-penis then, in that case, get the quad core, way better product to boast about, problem is, very few games are multithreaded but that is very soon to change. :)

Permabanned
OP
Please forgive me one and all! i am just a tad bit dwunk! and i can not be bothers to think correctly!
Will i have an Average e-willy or a rocco style super-c0k! lol

Nooooooo,.... i mean erm? poooo what was it....
ohh yea. Ill still be able to play windows pinball on it yea? 2142 etc will still run fine! just not take up the cores! ??
xxxx :o

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the same boat as M!!cook - well, I've got the dosh for either X6800 or QX6700 but i'm neither a semi-pro gamer or drunk ( for now ).

There are loads of threads kicking about about these two CPU's. Everytime I read a positive 'Go Quad' there's a 'Nah, stick to quicker Dual'. I read a positive article in PC gamer about how Valve are going to start programming a hybrid Course and Fine coded versions next year through steam. So I think 'Right, Quad it is!'. Then I pick up Custom PC mag and there article is No, go Dual for now.

The thing is, I won't have £600+ to blow on CPU every year. If games and Apps for Quad core are years off, I'll go Dual. IF it's next year, I'll take the slower Quad now for a bit of 'Future proofing' ( before the nay-sayers start, I know there is no such thing as 'Future-proofing' in the PC upgrade world).

Either will be a massive boost for me. Seriousley; I'm running a non-hyperthreaded P4 2.8Ghz with a 6800 ( rivatuned ) and about 1.5Gig of PC2700 Ram. To really make people cry - it's a Dell Dimmension 4600. I did buy it 3 years ago and have added stuff to it over the years.

*Sounds of People in the forums making sounds of disgust whilst making crosses with their index fingers*

I had to start somewhere. It runs my beloved BF2 at Med. settings but other games (BF2142 DoD:Source etc lag badly)

So now I have requisite funds for a good system. I'm thinking:

BFG 8800GTX ( why pay an extra £30-£50 for others? )
EVGA 680I Mobo
1000w Enermax Galaxy PSU ( I might SLI another 8800GTX someday )
4GB of Geil PC6400 C4 Ram ( I heard in another thread Vista might be RAM hungry with it's spangly Aero interface )
150GB Western Digital 10,000rpm Raptor HD.
I've got a Antec P180B case sat here now with a Artic Cooling freezer pro 7 on top of it. Santa gave me a X-FI Extreme Gamer sound card ( He used my Switch card - through Gibbo of course! )

Yes, I have been saving for quite a while.

The final piece is, of course, the CPU - hence my Question/Semi-rant.
I'm sure there are more people like M!!cook and me who need to get as much feedback on this issue - So please keep posting on this thread people!

Longest bump ever.........

Last edited:
Suspended
Unless you're doing serious heavy CPU multi-tasking, don't bother. I'm talking server use, or 3D rendering ie 3D Studio Max. A dual core CPU is more than suitable for most people.

From another poster doing light work he hasen't noticed the difference in dual core. I can instantly because I encode and play games at the same time.

Buy a penis pump instead.

Associate
I'll be running:

A game at really high settings.
Teamspeak or Ventriilo.
Teamspeak overlay.
Admin server managment application
MSN

So the X6800 will handle that at ease?

I would buy a Penis pump, but they don't seem to make them to fit over my already ample 12".........

Back
Top Bottom