My local boxing day hunt

Associate
Well, i know these are a little late, but i have only just had time to process them. what a way to spend your new years eve post processing 20 gigs of your images. My own fault for letting them all pile up i suppose :eek:

Anyway here are a selection of the images i took on what was an extremely cold day.

comments and critique always welcome.

Associate
some pictures of birds or dogs or even some of your friends would be nice .not a bunch of people that like to go out and hunt stuff .

Soldato
humax said:
some pictures of birds or dogs or even some of your friends would be nice .not a bunch of people that like to go out and hunt stuff .
Fair, but I don't see why there should be any. The title of the thread made it clear what was inside.

Associate
True, but i think he ment more the quality of the pictures, rather than the subject matter.

Nice shots, the third one strikes me as a chrisp one.

Associate
i think all the pictures are very good to be honest .its just the subject matter that might be a problem to some people on this forum .

Suspended
[Edited - Minstadave]

Im a country dweller, always have been and spent my teenage years living smack bang in the middle of a pheasant 'farm' where regular pheasant and fox hunts happened. Im against fox hunting, especially with dogs.

As you said in your first post, its in the 'eye of the beholder', this goes for foxes being vermin or just wildlife to be appreciated. This isnt the place for this to carry on, make a thread in GD if you would like a discussion about it.

As for the pictures, i like the 5th one, something about the way the horse is standing. But is it just the fact im tired or are they all not as sharp/crisp as they could be?

Last edited:
Associate
add my 2p
first off this is a photography section so please keep the bickering to forums where its applicable
photography forums are for showing pictures and discussing the merits of them

and as for the photo's shown in here, they are nothing more than snapshots
i dont see anything that gives a feeling of action with the horses or dogs actually doing something other than standing around

I would like to see the horse & hounds charging across the fields leaping fences etc

Associate
alexisonfire said:
Icyshore, have you ever had an incident of a fox destroying your land or anything you own? If yes, could you say what?

Icyshore "may" not have any experience on this matter but I live on a farm and most certainly have. :rolleyes:

How would you like to work your [No swearing - Minstadave] off in lambing time doing your best to keep your newly born flock alive and then get up in the morning to find half a dozen lambs with their throat ripped out by the fox.. And remember most animals kill for food, The fox kills for the fun of it and that is my livelyhood its taking away.. :rolleyes:

I for one shoot foxes and have no problem with the hunt destroying foxes either. Hunting has gone on for many hundreds of years and no-one has had a problem with it.

Back on topic the pictures would have more impact if they were in action leaping over fences etc. ;)

Caporegime
Can we just keep this thread about the photos please? Its not the place to argue about the rights and wrongs of hunting.

Right, I've cleared out a big chunk of the thread, keep the discussion to the photos or it will be closed and I'll hand out some new years holidays. There's been plenty of hunting discussion in the past in GD or Speakers Corner, so keep that side of the debate there please.

Associate
nice pictures, although the subject matter somewhat spoils it for me.

It interesting to note how miserable they all look though.

I like number 2 in particular, very nice horse

Associate
OP
first of all i would like to say im shocked at the way this thread has turned out, all i wanted was some constructive comments on the images i have posted :(

thanks to Minstadave for clearing the thread up a little ;)

With regard to action shots i was ready at the place where i was told they would be leaving, but someone at the last minute changed the plans and they went in the oposite direction, just my luck.

mission for next year will be the action side of things, im planning on getting a route map and maybe stopping off at various points along the way.

thanks for all the positve comments so far, much appreciated.

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
Not really classed as hunting really. More like easy slaughtering.
I suggest you go one on one with a grizzly, that'll be fair and real hunting.

another one :(

did you not manage to read the thread above from the mod?? :mad:

lets keep on the subject of critiquing the images, i really would rather this thread didnt get closed down as its helpful for myself to get feedback on my work.

If you want to discuss hunting do it in GD or speakers corner.

thanks

Soldato
I think all of the pictures have distracting backgrounds, for example #2, it could have been improved perhaps if you had used a wider apeture so the buildings and people were more out of focus.

As Buttkicker said, quite a few do seem like snapshots, IMO the only one that is well composed is the last image.

Soldato
3 is the one I like out of them, I just love the colour of the jackets compared to the horses etc. They could all have done with the backgrounds being less focused. It would draw attention to the hunters more.

Back
Top Bottom