Which Linux distro would be best for me?

Soldato
I have never used Linux before in my life. But I have just bought a new laptop and would like to use Linux for everyday use (Internet surfing, MSN, etc) and Windows Vista on another partition for mostly gaming.

I have read quite a bit about Linux and I am starting to understand it all, but would like to know which distro you would recommend for my use?

Many thanks.

Associate
Depends how much you want to do with linux. For the tasks you said, ubuntu would do you fine.

If you want to do more try openSUSE 10.2 or fedora core 6.

Soldato
OP
_NoName_ said:
ah cool, that's the one I've got, thanks... should be getting my new laptop tomorrow :)

I should be getting mine on Wednesday :D

I have been reading reviews on Ubuntu and have decided that is probably the best distro for me.

Thank you very much for your help and recommendations.

Associate
Solaris said:
pleasure....

if u like it and want to delve deeper you alwyas got suse, fedora, solaris maybe?

Yes let just right into the deep end with Solaris, provided it actually works on your computer!

Ubuntu and Fedora are the two easy ones to start off with, but if you want to really learn linux I would suggest Arch Linux.

Associate
*Meekly waves a small Gentoo Flag* very good documentation and help base with Gentoo.

For a total beginner Ubuntu is a good place to start :)

Good luck, remember - with a working knowledge of linux comes a better understanding of some of the internets more geekier jokes... ;)

Soldato
paddy said:
*Meekly waves a small Gentoo Flag* very good documentation and help base with Gentoo.

For a total beginner Ubuntu is a good place to start :)

Good luck, remember - with a working knowledge of linux comes a better understanding of some of the internets more geekier jokes... ;)
Completely agree, Ubuntu is great for starting out with *nix. Also, don't forget to use Automatix to get your PC up and running with all the codecs, plugins, apps, etc... you're going to need but without the headaches Linux starters often encounter.

Paddy's right about the Gentoo documentation. When you're trying to find in depth docs about a generic Linux issue and not just a distro-specific quirk, then the Gentoo docs are a great place to find what you're looking for. The gentoo irc channels are also friendly places.

Associate
fumbles said:
Yes let just right into the deep end with Solaris, provided it actually works on your computer!

Ubuntu and Fedora are the two easy ones to start off with, but if you want to really learn linux I would suggest Arch Linux.

Are you disrespecting solaris??? :)

Back
Top Bottom