My new toy, critique

Soldato
Hello everybody fro christmas I recieved a Canon 50mm f1.8 here are my first few shots with it, feel free to abuse me to the hilt. ;)

No adjustments in photoshop, just resized for the forum, feel free to alter them if you feel the need.

church.jpg

church2.jpg

My friend took these two.

hand.jpg

joypad1.jpg

Soldato
Not bad mate :)
To improve them some more you could try altering the white balance, you've got a pretty heavy colour cast there. If you shoot in RAW it's an easy a problem to fix, one of the advantages of RAW ;)

Associate
It all depends what you were taking photos of. If you were taking pictures of faces in a portrait style then f1.8 / f2.2 would be fine (especially in low light).

Associate
^^Gord^^ said:
It all depends what you were taking photos of. If you were taking pictures of faces in a portrait style then f1.8 / f2.2 would be fine (especially in low light).

Only take them at f1.8 if your focusing is rock solid as the narrow DOF will be diffcult to work with with moving subjects.

Obviously just my opinion, better off usin f2.8.

King.

Associate
I got bored with watching TV so decided to shoot a few pictures with the 50mm and various apertures (f1.8, 2.8, 4, 8, 16 and 22) in low light to show the different in DOF. These were all done on a tripod as the exposure times would be impossible to handhold so the last one I did with Tv set to 1/50s (using the old rule of thumb of one over the focal length) and had to go ISO 800 for f1.8. Any bigger aperture would be impossible without using a flash.

http://www.g0rd.com/gallery2/f/Aperture

No real point to this, just wanted to see the difference.

Soldato
Thanks for the experiment Gord, quite interesting to see the theory put into practice like that. Just reaffirms that I do understand what should be going on hehe.

Panzer

Back
Top Bottom