Will my car fail its MOT if ..... ?

Sam

Sam

Soldato
My ABS / Traction control lights are on the dash ? Both have been broken for a few months and i havent been bothered to fix them !

MOT is in the next few weeks so was just wondering if it had to be fixed

Cheers

Sam

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I hate to post on the contrary as it only confuses things, but my old mans old rover 45 definately passed an MOT with the airbag warning light on. In a typical rip off henley garage too where they normally fail you for anything and everything they possibly can

:dunno:

Suspended
Put some tape over the lights on the dash
icon14.gif

Man of Honour
Jez said:
I hate to post on the contrary as it only confuses things, but my old mans old rover 45 definately passed an MOT with the airbag warning light on.

But he doesn't have an airbag warning light he has the ABS warning light.

Soldato
AFAIK, ABS light = MOT fail.

I suppose you could just pretend your car doesn't have ABS by covering the LED as Nozzer said, if no light is showing there's nothing the tester can pull you up on.

Does the ABS actually work? With my old Civic the ABS didn't work when the LED was on, it wasn't just a faulty LED.

Soldato
My Dad's car has passed 2 MOT's with the ABS light on.

He knows his MOT tester quite well though, so a part of it depends on how well you know your tester. Buy him a couple of pints to sweeten him up ;)

Permabanned
Alternatively instead of trying to cheat the systems that are inplace to keep you safe (both ABS and MOT systems) - why not find the problem, get it sorted and stop trying to get away with a potentially dangerous vehicle? :confused:

Soldato
Sorry, Slime. I just giggle when people mention an "unsafe vehicle" because a driver aid is disabled. Mainly because 2/3 of my cars were built before these systems were ever invented and they've done just fine for 20-25 years without them......

Associate
Funny you should ask, my car passed its MOT yesterday with the traction control light blazing away.

Waiting for the part (a sensor that detects the steering wheel position) but the MOT testers weren't interested - simply not an issue.

Soldato
Traction control and supplemental restraint systems (i.e. air bags and seat belt pre-tensioners) are not tested as part of the MOT.

ABS is part of the test however, and if the tester can see that ABS is fitted, he should check that the warning light comes on when the igntion is switched on and then goes out. Hence pulling the bulb or fuse out will not (or at least should not) let you pass the test.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
Ok ill have to have special words with my M0T garage or ill try pulling out the fuse . Ive had no ABS for the last 3 months and it hasnt proved a problem. The ABS sensor on the fiesta is £200 and only a few months ago did i fix the bloody problem on my racing puma.

Cheers Guys

Sam

Permabanned
Mickey_D said:
Sorry, Slime. I just giggle when people mention an "unsafe vehicle" because a driver aid is disabled. Mainly because 2/3 of my cars were built before these systems were ever invented and they've done just fine for 20-25 years without them......

Yes, i see your point, my defender doesnt have ABS either, or anything other than good old power and proper 4wd :D

However, if a car is made with it, and its faulty then its potentially dangerous as systems controlling braking and stability going wrong and doing their own thing can only really end in disaster.

Permabanned
According to the MOT manual testers should even check that the ABS bulb is present, but show me one of these testers and i'll eat my exhaust pipe.

Man of Honour
Mickey_D said:
I had the same problem on my Puma - it was the sensor in the right hand wheel. The problem was though that it was kicking the ABS on and off, which kept trying to stop me braking which is kind of dangerous :)

Soldato
Mickey_D said:

heh, mine doesn't have the luxury of servo assisted brakes, let alone the fancy stuff. Still works after 20 years though.

Slime101 said:
Yes, i see your point, my defender doesnt have ABS either, or anything other than good old power and proper 4wd :D

Think you've mixed up two posts there, you've mentioned a landy and power in the same sentence ;) :p (you forgot wieght and towrope btw ;))

Soldato
They check that the abs light lights up when the car is started and then goes out after so many seconds. So taking the bulb out will not cheat the system :D

Back
Top Bottom