When will Vista's buggy gameplay in pc games become a thing of the past?

Soldato
Im just about to buy a gaming graphics card and would like to play a few games...

But iv heard about peoples bugs with gameplay in vista..

When will this issue become a thing of the past? or am i going to have to get a 2nd HDD and load a ghost image of xp on it?

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
Im just about to buy a gaming graphics card and would like to play a few games...

But iv heard about peoples bugs with gameplay in vista..

When will this issue become a thing of the past? or am i going to have to get a 2nd HDD and load a ghost image of xp on it?

When proper drivers are released and the games get the necessary patches to be able to run on Vista 64-bit.

Actually, thinking about it, Vista x64 can still run 32-bit apps with no emulation needed, so what we actually need is good drivers, then all should be set?

Or am I totally wrong?

Soldato
XP took about 3 months for the drivers and games to reach a similar level of performance and stability to that of a 9x system when gaming.

Give it 6 months and we will be above the level of XP SP2, give it 12 months and we will be in a completely new league of ease of use by my guess.

Certainly will take a few months, need enough people on Vista to make the dev's time well spent patching and optimising drivers.

Man of Honour
it's all down to drivers. I reckon February sometime will get the first drivers that will allow us to play games. Then another month or 2 to optimize them.

Soldato
All we're all waiting for is decent bug-free performance-optimised device drivers. Everything else is pretty much ready to go.

ATI is pretty much in optimisation and polish mode already. Nvidia is still in full blown development mode. I would not be surprised if Nvidia paid its top developer team handsomely to work right through Christmas. For some reason this whole Vista thing seems to have caught Nvidia off guard even though they've seen it coming since almost before Nvidia was a big time player!

I think the critical cross over point in performance (i.e. when Vista benchies start reading higher than XP benchies) will be around July time. But that's not to say performance will out right suck until then, it will be steadily getting better almost week by week.

Associate
Yewen said:
XP took about 3 months for the drivers and games to reach a similar level of performance and stability to that of a 9x system when gaming.

Ah yes, anyone remember the old VIA/NVIDIA 'infinite loop' problems when XP first came out? :eek: :p Sadly as long as we're dependent on 3rd party drivers it seems we're doomed to wait for the vendors to get their act together... Yewen's right in suggesting waiting for a few months before making the leap - let someone else iron out the bugs for you! That's my plan :D

Back
Top Bottom