The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Permabanned
Athanor said:
Nope I think that's you mate.

I made the point that although MS and OCUK (and others in the supply chain) make a profit on a copy ofVista you think posting giving MS a hard time is a "cool" thing to do because there are no consequences.

I just noted that you (and a couple of others) are not brave enought to suggest OCUK are ripping people off etc.

Keyboard warriors... Happy to say anything as long as there's no chance of being called to account :rolleyes:

I don't believe that OcUK are ripping us off at all. Why should i? They have always been reasonable with thier pricing with some good deals to be had. As OzyOly pointed out, it is MS and the High tax that makes the UK Vista very expensive.

You need to grow up a bit mate. We are all having a serious discussion on here. Nobody is slagging OcUK off because we have no reason to!

Soldato
pcknight said:
I don't believe that OcUK are ripping us off at all. Why should i? They have always been reasonable with thier pricing with some good deals to be had. As OzyOly pointed out, it is MS and the High tax that makes the UK Vista very expensive.

You need to grow up a bit mate. We are all having a serious discussion on here. Nobody is slagging OcUK off because we have no reason to!
Sorry "mate" but you really don't get it do you.

I was pointing out that the cost of Vista is not just down to MS and despite what you'd like to think it's not just MS making the money on it or setting the price.

I pointed out that although OCUK, the distributors and everyone else in the supply chain make a slice of the cost in Vista you single out MS for criticism because you think MS are somehow ripping us off.

You seem unable to grasp the basic fact that lots of people contribute to the cost of Vista and OCUK don't make a very different amount of money on the sale of a copy of Vista than MS.

I also pointed out that you are prepared to **** off MS because you are unlikely to be asked to justify your claims, however even though OCUK make a similar amount on an OEM copy of Vista (give or take) you are not prepared to criticise them because you would be called to account.

I'm highlighting that you make completely unproveable claims (like 99% of people are dishonest and rip off OEM copies of an OS), and can't understand that on a £80 copy of Vista it's not a case of MS getting 90% of the cost.

If you believe Vista is too expensive you should take into account all the people making a mark up on it along the supply chain. If you believe OCUK make a fair profit on Vista why not MS.

OCUK make a fair mark up on the products it sells, as do the distributors, packaging plants, printing companies, MS, transport companies etc involved in it's supply. It's wrong to single out one entity in the chain as it's not the full story.

Last edited:
Associate
Slam62 said:
as stated many times before microsofts eula is not on the statute books and if shown to be 'unfair consumer terms and conditions' is not worth the pixels its written on.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/UTCC/default.htm

Nice link ;)

I would say MS could also fail on the eula because it fails:
The plain language requirement

According to the UTCCRs, a standard term must be expressed in plain and intelligible language. A term is open to challenge if it could put the consumer at a disadvantage because he or she is not clear about its meaning - even if its meaning could be worked out by a lawyer. If there is doubt as to what a term means, the meaning most favourable to the consumer will apply.

:D

Soldato
It never has been shown to be unfair and given the EEC willingness to take MS and other companies on if they think it's appropriate, and the fact that not one single legal or governmental body has suggested that the EULA is not legal it's unlikely to apply.

Permabanned
Athanor said:
Sorry "mate" but you really don't get it do you.

I was pointing out that the cost of Vista is not just down to MS and despite what you'd like to think it's not just MS making the money on it or setting the price.

I pointed out that although OCUK, the distributors and everyone else in the supply chain make a slice of the cost in Vista you single out MS for criticism because you think MS are somehow ripping us off.

You seem unable to grasp the basic fact that losts of people contribute to the cost of Vista and OCUK don't make a very different amount of money on the sale of a copy of Vista than MS.

I also pointed out that you are prepared to **** off MS because you are unlikely to be asked to justify your claims, however even though OCUK make a similar amount on an OEM copy of Vista (give or take) you are not prepared to criticise them because you would be called to account.

If you still don't understand the point I suggest you re read it very slowly as it's perfectly clear. I'm highlighting that you make completely unproveable claims (like 99% of people are dishonest and rip off OEM copies of an OS), and can't understand that on a £80 copy of Vista it's not a case of MS getting 90% of the cost.

If you believe Vista is too expensive you should take into account all the people making a mark up on it along the supply chain. If you believe OCUK make a fair profit on Vista why not MS.

OCUK make a fair mark up on the products it sells, as do the distributors, packaging plants, priniting companies, MS, transport companies etc etc etc.

Clearly the real world intrudes very rarely on your existance and I'd suggest it's not me that needs to grow up.

What are you on about? Are you from earth?

I don't care who makes the most out of Vista. What is the above text you wrote got anything to do with the Thread?

Vista is only too expensive compared to the USA where it is a lot cheaper.

Soldato
Care to calm it down guys, if anyone has an issue with anything that has been said then please email me.

It is an OS and not worth getting worked up over. :)

Soldato
Aye, it takes two to debate as well.

Although if you get angry with a wall they can fight back, but yeh, it usually takes at least two sides to have a debate.

Can we get back to helping people with their licensing issues now though, it is after all what the thread is all about.

Permabanned
Anyway. I will be getting Vista Home Premium when it comes out as my mate has Ultimate on his Laptop and it looks stunning. I do change components quite a bit so the retail version is the better one in the long run, especially as MS are rumoured to be getting stricter on the OEM reactivation process.

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
This thread is supposed to be about Frequently Asked Questions. It has gone way, way off topic. Can we get this thread back on the rails?

Burnsy
My apologies Burnsy, I may have got a "tad" grumpy and got a little off topic :)

Soldato
Vista Licence FAQ

OEM: Infanite installs on one PC. MS defines a PC change when the motherboard is upgraded. If you upgrade the mobo you need a new licence. Non-transferrable

Retail: One concurrent licence. Install it on one computer and change all the hardware if you wish. Transferrable from machine to machine provided it's one one machine at a time.

Question:

So what hardware can I change with an OEM licence?

Anwser from Athanor

You will be perfectly entitled to upgrade any item in your PC with OEM Vista, and get a new activation code with the exception of a motherboard. The motherboard is considered the "heart" of the machine and to upgrade it would break the terms of the license. You may of course have your motherboard replaced under warranty if it is faulty however. If the same motherboard is no longer available under warranty the manufacturers supplied direct replacement/equivalent is acceptable.

Question:

Can I buy the upgrade version of vista and use it like the FULL RETAIL VISTA pack regardless of Hardware changes by using my XP PRO OEM/ MCE OEM disc?

Answer from burnsy2023;

No, because if you change the MB in the machine you revoke the OEM licence and therefore you don't have the right to use the upgrade without a qualifying product.

You can install Vista with an upgrade disc without needed a current install of XP, you will need an OEM or retail disc and possibly the product key

Question:

When I needed to reactivate my Windows XP OEM all I had to do was to phone up and ask for a new activation code. Why should I even bother with retail?

Answer:

M$ are going to be a lot more strict with OEM from now on. Obtaining a new activation code for OEM after an upgrade isn't legal and you shouldn't be given one.
Where as you may have been able to blag you was into getting a new licence for you OEM XP after an upgrade, vista is a whole new challange. Chances are you won't be able to get another code for reactivation with vista OEM, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry but the last answer isn't the case.

Answer:

M$ are going to be a lot more strict with OEM from now on. Obtaining a new product code for OEM after an upgrade isn't legal and you shouldn't be given one.
Where as you may have been able to blag you was into getting a new licence for you OEM XP after an upgrade, vista is a whole new challange. Chances are you won't be able to get another code for reactivation with vista OEM, but time will tell.

You will be perfectly entitled to upgrade any item in your PC with OEM Vista, and get a new activation code with the exception of a motherboard. The motherboard is considered the "heart" of the machine and to upgrade it would break the terms of the license. You may of course have your motherboard replaced under warranty if it is faulty however. If the same motherboard is no longer available under warranty the manufacturers supplied direct replacement/equivalent is acceptable.

Burnsy will correct me if i'm wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom