• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nvidia 6800 1 in stock

Associate
OP
dunker said:
i was patient and ordered the HIS 1950pro agp card that might not be here til the end of January :eek: but i already have a 6800gt and really enjoying CoH right now with it :D

if i could'nt play my fav games at the mo (GTR2 and CoH) i'd prolly grab the 512mb sapphire 1950pro and get a quieter cooler for it at the same time, the acellero? i guess. some ppl have said the pcie version of it is'nt noisy and some have so that usually means it is. if you do go for a 1950pro make sure your psu is a quality unit not some no-name thing that came in the case as they need a lot of juice i've been reading.
I have a Jeantech PSU 450.

Thought I may spend a little more (still like the look of the 7600 GT though)

But I think it's coming down to:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-137-SP

or waiting and pre ordering:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-HT

There's the 512 memory vs Silent Cooling System? Which should I go for and why?

Soldato
Didn't get your card for xmas then? :(

512mb is mainly needed for higher resolution screens (namely 21"+ TFT's).

Compare the specs:

Sapphire 512mb
- Powered by ATI Radeon X1950 PRO - 580MHz (RV570 80nm)
- 512MB-256bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory - 1.40GHz
- 36 Pixel shader processor
- Ultra-threaded SM 3.0 Engine
- 512-bit Ring-bus
- HDCP Enabled!!

HIS 256mb
- Powered by ATI Radeon X1950 PRO - 620MHz (RV570 80nm)
- 256MB-256bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory - 1.48GHz
- ICEQ3 Silent Cooling System (Drops GPU and Case temperatures)
- 36 Pixel shader processor
- Ultra-threaded SM 3.0 Engine
- 512-bit Ring-bus
- HDCP Enabled!!

The HIS is slightly faster... so IMO for a few quid more, get that one :) You'd probably notice the speed difference more than the memory size difference. What size screen/resolution you using?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nope, didn't get the card for Christmas :(
Thought I'd wait, spend a little more cash and get a better card that will extend the life of my P4 :)

HIS 256mb is the one I will probably go for. It may even dip in price in the new year by the time I order it.

Associate
OP
Well I plumped for the Leadtek 7600 GT in the end. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-088-LT

At the price and along with all the good reviews it's had I just couldn't resist it. Should give my P4 a new leash of life without breaking the bank. Should arrive via City Link Friday if all goes well.

Would it be best to skip the drivers that will be supplied and download the direct from Leadtek or Nvidea?

Associate
OP
melbourne720 said:
I always go for the latest NVidia drivers. Could you post you 3d mark scores when you run them? Quite a few people are in your upgrade situation...
Thanks for the drivers tip.
Yes, I'll have a go with those 3d mark scores. (if I can work out how it's done :) )

Associate
OP
Current card Geforce 2 with 64 meg, second hand when I got it more than 5 years or more ago. Served me well though :)

Just removed it and formated drive to get rid of old drivers. Just using on board graphics atm.

Associate
Fallen Hero said:
is this a good card for Company of Heroes and the like. I have 1 gib of ram and a P4 3ghz. I use a 17'' monitor. I will mainly be playing and buying older games, Dawn Of War, Quake 4 ect, COH being the only newish game I'm looking to get.

It will play the older games without problems, although you might need to drop the gfx settings a bit on CoH

Associate
OP
maGz said:
It will play the older games without problems, although you might need to drop the gfx settings a bit on CoH
I was struggling a little with the old card, new one even if all the settings aren't maxed on the newer games should still look and run a lot nicer.
Apart from COH, I'm steering clear of the newer game releases. Some great bargains to be had that will run okay on my P4.
Brought a C&C Generals + Battlefiled 1942 + Medal Of Honour in one package and a standalone Complete Civ3 all for £15 - buy one get one free deal. All should run oaky with new card. :)

Last edited:

Ecl

Ecl

Associate
Fallen Hero said:
Well I plumped for the Leadtek 7600 GT in the end. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-088-LT

At the price and along with all the good reviews it's had I just couldn't resist it. Should give my P4 a new leash of life without breaking the bank. Should arrive via City Link Friday if all goes well.

Would it be best to skip the drivers that will be supplied and download the direct from Leadtek or Nvidea?
Good choice, I had the same.

Associate
OP
HangTime said:
7600GT will be a massive boost from a gf2 - if you've managed to hold out this long it will probably seem ok even in modern games like CoH.
Yes, I may even upgrade from my trusty 9600 bps modem to broadband/cable for the multi player side of things. :D

Funny thing with keeping the same card all these years is that I didn't really notice the slowdown that much. Just kept turning things off and lowering the screen resolution. That and just not buying new games.

Back
Top Bottom