The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Nahema said:
What can I do with my xp oem 64 bit licence? Whenever I sell my mobo can I just say that it comes with xp and offload it that way?

No, not quite. The licence is not tied to the Mobo per se. It's ties to the machone, of which a mobo change would render it a different machine. It'd essentially be useless.

Burnsy

Associate
burnsy2023 said:
Right, I've just got off the phone from MS. They have basically said that if you are a system builder you may replace the motherboard under warrenty and may choose which board goes in, however, they said the new motherboard would have to be a similar make/model with similar features. Basically as similar as the market allows.

They stressed it must be with the intention of replaciung a faulty component and NOT for upgrade purposes.

Burnsy

So as im planning to use OEM version on my system, im a system builder?

I can make up my own warrenty for myself :s?

Associate
burnsy2023 said:
They stressed it must be with the intention of replacing a faulty component and NOT for upgrade purposes.
That's quite vague really. Maybe it would be obvious that going from a socket A motherboard to a quad-core one is an upgrade, but going from a basic-feature Core2Duo one to a better one would probably slip through.

Hey ho, I think I'll wait and see what happens.

Man of Honour
OP
Mr.Clark said:
That's quite vague really. Maybe it would be obvious that going from a socket A motherboard to a quad-core one is an upgrade, but going from a basic-feature Core2Duo one to a better one would probably slip through.

Hey ho, I think I'll wait and see what happens.

This is why they stated "as similar as the market allows". And that is a quote directly from MS.

Burnsy

Permabanned
burnsy2023 said:
Right, I've just got off the phone from MS. They have basically said that if you are a system builder you may replace the motherboard under warrenty and may choose which board goes in, however, they said the new motherboard would have to be a similar make/model with similar features. Basically as similar as the market allows.

They stressed it must be with the intention of replacing a faulty component and NOT for upgrade purposes.

Burnsy

How would they know it was either an upgrade (Similar mobo) or a Faulty one? You could say it was a faulty one but installed a newer one instead? They would have to take your word for it.

Permabanned
Thing is, as we know, you can buy one bad MOBO after another. In the past i have had 3 faulty TFT's in a row! This can happen with any component. They know this. So, it would not be that unusual to have a string of faulty Mobo's. Be it a week apart of several months apart. A lot of People on here have probably bought an item and have had to exchange it etc a few time before thay received a 'working' one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
pcknight said:
Thing is, as we know, you can buy one bad MOBO after another. In the past i have had 3 faulty TFT's in a row! This can happen with any component. They know this.

I would strongly advise against using this as an excuse to break the EULA. What would be MS' response? Stop the sale of the OEM licence to all but athorised OEMs? Possbily and that would be a pain for everyone.

Burnsy

Permabanned
burnsy2023 said:
I would strongly advise against using this as an excuse to break the EULA. What would be MS' response? Stop the sale of the OEM licence to all but athorised OEMs? Possbily and that would be a pain for everyone.

Burnsy

Advise against it all you like but i bet it has been done thousands of times already in the world. Millions of times really, and it will be done again and again. I can't see MS doing what you say they would do. That is unrealistic.

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
Have a read of the thread, the answer is in this thread.

Burnsy

Cheers :)

Is there a requirement for the PC it's installed on to be new? For example, could I install an OEM copy of Vista on my Dell PC that's already licenced for XP, and therefore lose the use of both licences should I upgrade the motherboard (for example)?

Last edited:
Soldato
he's trying to educate people - i think he said before that he doesn't particularly care what people do with the knowledge, just wants to help people to understand the ins and outs of the licensing so that they can make their own choices based on the facts.

Man of Honour
OP
lowrider007 said:

I'm fed up of this thead going off topic. Rebelious said it quite well:

he's trying to educate people - i think he said before that he doesn't particularly care what people do with the knowledge, just wants to help people to understand the ins and outs of the licensing so that they can make their own choices based on the facts.

If you want to discuss this, don't post in this thread.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom