• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who thinks this'd be worth doing?

Associate
Ok so ATM I have:

Asus A8R32-MVP Socket 939 motherboard,
Corsair XMS 4400PRO 2x 1gb RAM
AMD 4800 Socket 939.

I'm considering an upgrade.. already.. to these

Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775)
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-6400C4 TwinX
Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)

Here at OcUK which comes to £489.
Worthwhile upgrade?
I'd definitely consider it if I can sell my mobo/ram/cpu combo for about £260-280 They are all less than 1 year old and I still got all the boxes and warranty, you guys reckon they are worth that much?
That'd mean I can get the upgrade for about £230, which Is more realistic tbh.

Associate
Tbh the system you have look's great :) Do you want to go core duo because you are unhappy with your system proformance or because your caught up in the hype?If i had your set up I would wait till it struggled with a game by which time there be better components/deals available :D

Associate
OP
Well i currently have the system running on water, So it's all Overclocked, and the problem is it doesn't seem to perform that much better, the FSB is running at 285mhz, and the CPU at 2.85ghz.. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's not as good as I expected?
Heard the Conroes rip it up and overclock stupidly well, also, I heard a rumour AMD are about to sell the FX-60 for 200 quid retail which might be a longevity upgrade and far less complex, but I'm yet to see them even sold anywhere now, let alone for that much.

Associate
b.cummins said:
Well i currently have the system running on water, So it's all Overclocked, and the problem is it doesn't seem to perform that much better, the FSB is running at 285mhz, and the CPU at 2.85ghz.. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's not as good as I expected?
Heard the Conroes rip it up and overclock stupidly well, also, I heard a rumour AMD are about to sell the FX-60 for 200 quid retail which might be a longevity upgrade and far less complex, but I'm yet to see them even sold anywhere now, let alone for that much.
I don't think there be a 939 FX-60.Out of intrest what's it overclocked to?

Associate
OP
atm I have it stable at 2.85ghz on 10x multiplier, won't run a ghz over! voltage is at 1.5v.

Lol, you're thinking of FX-62, i remember when the 60 came out!

I'm just unsure about the whole thing, amazing how many others switched to conroe I feel I upgraded a month too early.

Soldato
Sniper123 said:
I don't think there be a 939 FX-60.Out of intrest what's it overclocked to?

Where have you been under a rock or something?! :p

For quite a while the FX60 (2.6ghz Skt 939) was the fastest processor money could buy for the desktop market.

Associate
OP
OK so I had a bit of a roam around decided a more snug

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4
Intel Core 2 DUO E6300
Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X

And I say unto thee - Would this beat the pants off my current rig and should I expect an OC to 3.22ghz+ on my water for the conroe? I heard GeIL ram is good stuff.

So basically lets assume I can flog off my old gear whatho, and get this bunch for £433 on OCUK.. so more or less should get this upgrade for just under 200 quids.

Gameplan?
I'm gamer pc all the way.. also Have crossfired x1900, raptor x 150gb, etc etc.

Associate
if your going to overclock the hell out of it or do video editing (get the 6600) thats cool otherwise your pc is good enough - by the way how much you want for your X2. :p

Associate
OP
dark4orz said:
if your going to overclock the hell out of it or do video editing (get the 6600) thats cool otherwise your pc is good enough - by the way how much you want for your X2. :p

lol i hadn't thought about it been seeing them go on ***y for about 250 quid tho.. how much would u offer :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
so sniper, dark, jihad, any final input on what I should do? Gonna ***y the cpu around £230 reserve now you guys have "informed" me it's rarity is in fact a blessing :p and try and sell off the other bits and what not so I may go for the E6600 might be a more worthwhile tradeoff?

Back
Top Bottom