RIG shutting off, new parts 8800gtx/window/replaced 1gb stick

Associate
Hi my RIG has began shutting off as if switching off power at the back :confused:

A day ago i fried one stick of g.skill so I replaced with a 1gb generic stick (my bad did not push in fully), installed an 8800gtx and put an acrlic window over my mesh and installed a front120mm fan at front of case.

Yesterday it was benching fine for the lil while i was on it BUT today I am playing R6 vegas and it shuts off, during a 3dmark it shuts off, during the loading of a map on R6 vegas it shuts off :confused: .

Soooo I put everything at stock goes okay... I am thinking yay but then 10mins in it shuts off again.

Dodge GPU, ram or overheating/not beefy enough psu?

What does this sound like to you people?

please help

Associate
OP
PS

I am not getting any windows error reporting either... does that narrow it down or mean anything?

PLZ HELP

Soldato
You say the computer is just going totally off, as if you yanked the power lead out of the PSU?

I would say that this likely is something overheating. The motherboard should have come with some software to monitor temps. I'd open that software up, and then open a game that runs in a window rather than full screen (Oblivion allows you to do this IIRC).

This way, you can see the temps of the board while a 3D game is playing - basically you want to keep an idea of the temperatures while the PC is under load. Thinking about it, I suppose the possibility is there that it's a voltage issue too, so might be worth seeing if the voltages drop when the 3D game starts. My money is on the motherboard temperature though - those chips near the CPU socket can get pretty hot.

Caporegime
Sounds like a PSU problem to me, if the PSU aint got enough juice to feed your graphics card it will shut off, when you pull the kettle lead out of the back, then re-plug it back in and switch it on does it come back on ok, if so then id say it was the PSU not being able to feed the card, as thats what happens when it can't feed it enough, and as you said its doing it when its running 3D Mark etc..., so when your putting your card under load the PSU will be trying to feed it enough power, but if it can't it will just shut off as said.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Angus01 said:
Sorry a bit off topic

Did you have any issues with the GTX fitting into your case ?

No not really, went in fine considering it's size.

LoadsaMoney said:
Sounds like a PSU problem to me, if the PSU aint got enough juice to feed your graphics card it will shut off, when you pull the kettle lead out of the back, then re-plug it back in and switch it on does it come back on ok, if so then id say it was the PSU not being able to feed the card, as thats what happens when it can't feed it enough, and as you said its doing it when its running 3D Mark etc..., so when your putting your card under load the PSU will be trying to feed it enough power, but if it can't it will just shut off as said.

once it goes off it takes about ten seconds to turn back on and thats after I have pulled out the kettle lead

wasc said:
You say the computer is just going totally off, as if you yanked the power lead out of the PSU?

I would say that this likely is something overheating. The motherboard should have come with some software to monitor temps. I'd open that software up, and then open a game that runs in a window rather than full screen (Oblivion allows you to do this IIRC).

This way, you can see the temps of the board while a 3D game is playing - basically you want to keep an idea of the temperatures while the PC is under load. Thinking about it, I suppose the possibility is there that it's a voltage issue too, so might be worth seeing if the voltages drop when the 3D game starts. My money is on the motherboard temperature though - those chips near the CPU socket can get pretty hot.

k will give that a try and then take the side off

cheers

ps if I had to get a psu for my rig what do you recommend and what does 'IIRC' stand for (see it all the time)?

Caporegime
I think its If I Recall.

Yeah it shuts off, but if you turn it on it wont come back on until you take the kettle lead out, and plug it back in, then it comes on, if thats what you mean then yeah as i said, its your PSU not having enough juice to feed it so its shutting off, that'll be why its shutting off when yer benching etc... as your cards going under load and taking more power, so your PSU is trying to feed it enough, but when it can't it will shut off.

Id go for something like this for a GTX.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
LoadsaMoney said:
I think its If I Recall.

Yeah it shuts off, but if you turn it on it wont come back on until you take the kettle lead out, and plug it back in, then it comes on, if thats what you mean then yeah as i said, its your PSU not having enough juice to feed it so its shutting off.

Id go for something like this for a GTX.

Okay thanks, so I will try stock voltages and unplug the following > 1 dvdrom drive, hdd, cold cathodes and 2 120mm fans

and if that does not work I will try my mates type R 580w (630w max) hyper :D

ps wow omg that PSU is expensive :eek: very nice looking though ;) start saving my pennies

Back
Top Bottom