Holiday camera help

Godfather
Godfather
I'm looking for a reasonable camera to take on holiday.

I have an EOS5D but it's just too bulky to carry everywhere all day long. It's certainly possible but I'd rather have something smaller.

I also have an IXUS 700 which is perfect for carrying but doesn't offer the last word in creativity.

I was going to buy a Leica M8 but there are problems with image banding and IR sensitivity.

Any suggestions?

Man of Honour
How about the Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ50? I was looking into buying one instead of my DSLR and from what I've read it rates very highly. The Leica lens and Image Stabiliser make it quite an attractive camera for the money.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

DP Review said:
And so, to sum up; for the serious user the FZ50 is without doubt the best equipped, best specified and best handling 'bridge camera' on the market today, and under the right conditions it produces superb output. It is a rewarding and enjoyable photographic tool that - once you've learned its quirks - offers a compact 'all-in-one' solution to anyone wanting a huge zoom range without all that lens changing and all that bulk. Inevitably this involves a certain amount of compromise; the smearing of fine, low contrast detail that is the hallmark of the Venus III engine limits the FZ50 to low ISO settings for any serious photography unless you're happy to accept that you'll never be able to produce big enlargements. For me this is an acceptable compromise, and - though I wish Panasonic would drop the megapixel race and concentrate on picture quality - it does produce excellent printed results. If this had been a mould-breaking 5 or 6 megapixel with excellent low noise performance throughout the ISO range (and particularly up to ISO 800) it would no doubt have performed considerably better and would have been an easy choice for a Highly Recommended. As it is it just squeezes in thanks to its many other outstanding qualities - and only for those users who can live without anything over ISO 200.

Last edited:
Permabanned
They're quite big - chubby for a "compact". Also they weigh at least twice as much as any other compact. Good camera, though.

EDIT: Sorry! I mis-understood. Thought you were after a compact.

dod

dod

Soldato
What sort of things do you want it to do? If it's just general holiday snapshots the IXUS is fine. If your wife is anything like mine taking time to be creative on holiday doesn't really work too well anyway.

Soldato
Some comments on the G7 here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8501882 - esp see mine at the bottom.

If you want creativity you need to be looking at a bridge camera imo. Something like the Panasonic FZ50 as already posted or the Fuji 5600 (I think thats the right model name).

Theres always a 'baby' DSLR such as a Canon 350d or Nikon D40.

Creative compacts of very small size are few and far between. The G7 as already said ia "big" compact. The Canon A-series (e.g. A640) offer lots of manual features, so these might be up your street?

Hope this helps.

Soldato
I recently went to Morocco and carried around a 20D with a 17-40L; it wasn't heavy and didn't get in the way.
Put it over your shoulder and you'll be fine :)

Godfather
Godfather
OP
SDK^ said:
I recently went to Morocco and carried around a 20D with a 17-40L; it wasn't heavy and didn't get in the way.
You're keener than me though ;)

Godfather
Godfather
OP
busterboy said:
You have the lenses for the EF Canon range, The Canon 400D would be very suitable for your needs with a small zoom attached. ;)
Yep, thought about that one. It's about 2/3 the weight of the 5D and smaller too.

Soldato
SDK^ said:
What wrong with a compact camera that you just throw in your pocket.... :confused:

Soldato
Joe T said:
Cos DSLRs rock! Or do you want a more detailed answer?
Just a case of i think i enjoy my hoidays a lot more without having the feeling that am carrying a bag over my shoulder everywhere...

The best way i guess,,would be to take a compact and SLR camera with you...That way you take the SLR went you know your going photo shooting and the compact everywhere else for them rare shots..

Godfather
Godfather
OP
chaparral said:
Just a case of i think i enjoy my hoidays a lot more without having the feeling that am carrying a bag over my shoulder everywhere...

The best way i guess,,would be to take a compact and SLR camera with you...That way you take the SLR went you know your going photo shooting and the compact everywhere else for them rare shots..
Agreed and I think that's what I'll do. Just got out my 5D and with 24-105 F4L it's not that heavy. Might look at some lighter lens and flash options though.

Maybe I'll upgrade the IXUS 700 for a 900 too.

Soldato
As your self appointed financial advisor Spie (remember? ;)), I reccomend you take me with you as your personal photographer, coupled with your 5D and lenses I will be more useful than a compact and you won't have to be troubled with the weight of the thing. It makes more financial sense and as you're obviously rather strapped for cash at the moment, it makes sense.

or just buy the FZ7

Back
Top Bottom