All in One Remotes - Logitech 885 or this new Phillips SRU9600

Associate
I've currently got the Logitech 885, and although it does pretty much everything I want. I find it a real pig to use. Even after 6 months or fiddling i still have quirks in it that i can't seem to fix. So after seeing this new Phillips SRU9600 remote in the latest T3, I'm quite tempted by it's simplicity.

What do you think? stick with the Logitech? Or try the Phillips?

Soldato
I also have the 885 and would be lost without it and you can't get much easier to set up than the Logitech, plus it also looks a lot, lot better than the Phillips.

In what was is it better than the 885 then?

Associate
OP
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=QI2ZP4YFMIS33J0RMRESHQNHKFSEKI5P

That's the link for it. It's doesn't really have anything over the 885, it's just a Touchscreen and a inbuilt IR Database, so no need for the PC to set it up.

I agree that the 885 is a great bit of kit which isn't that tough to set up, but i find perfecting the setup has been a nightmare. Even after numerous configuration changes, I still find I often have to cover the IR Beam after pressing a Activity button to stop it cycling past the correct input multiple times.

Associate
I've just bought the Philips remote and it works a treat! The only thing it doesn't like doing is turning on or off my xbox 360. It would also be better if you could do a custom setup, where you get to choose exactly what keys you want. I set up the Game device for my xbox 360, but it didn't let you use the red green blue and yellow keys, which I wanted to use for A B X and Y. Then I tried the PC device, which has the four colour buttons, but then it doesn't have the eject icon!

Saying all of this, it's so much better than having four remotes cluttering up the sofa :D

Soldato
Harmonys are rubbish. Get a Pronto - in a different league and until Logitech need to figure out fully custommacros are needed and not presets. Mind prontos are not cheap.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
Harmonys are rubbish. Get a Pronto - in a different league and until Logitech need to figure out fully custommacros are needed and not presets. Mind prontos are not cheap.
According to avforums.com many owners are swapping their prontos for Harmony remotes due to their simplicity.

Soldato
GSXRMovistar said:
According to avforums.com many owners are swapping their prontos for Harmony remotes due to their simplicity.

I use my Sky HD remote for simplicity, it turns the volume on my amp up and down ;)

I have a harmony in the cupboard and sent back the 885. It can not replace all the remotes for all the setup functions and is too clunky in use with not enough customization. It needs macros.

For instance. If my friend hits his macro for Projector it turns the projector, scaler, amp on and too correct inputs. Makes the electric screen come down and dims and turns off the lights. The Harmony cant do this as you cant program it - you are stuck with what presets they give you. If the harmony was as nice to hold and as responsive as a Sky remote it would be great for a basic replacement but its not. It's not good enough to replace all remotes and isnt as nice to use as a Sky remote for utter basicness. Dont get me wrong i part loved but mostly hated my Harmonys - they are the nearly remote.

Soldato
I was under the impression you can do macros with the Harmonys, I've been playing on the Logitech website and I've setup an activity that will turn on several devices, change inputs and then start a recording.

Anyway it turns up next week and it's its poop it's going back, although I can't justify the cost (or the setup time required) of the Pronto remotes, even though they are rather cool.

Soldato
My Harmony turned up this morning, whilst I've not had time to config it yet I'm liking the way it feels. All hard buttons and everything can be done with one hand, something that put be off a lot of the other custom remotes.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it over the next few days and I'll update with how I get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom