Getting the ECU out

img3460so9.jpg

Anyone fancy a good used 2nd hand radiator? :D

img3456kn6.jpg

Donor Valver - raped.

Soldato
OP
img3466oh7.jpg

Aaeron (ronsvalver), working on the valver lump, the water pump, cambelt and clutch were all changed.

img3465dy1.jpg

Much bigger than the 1.4 in comparison.

img3464dn3.jpg

Aux belt off, cambelt being tensioned.

img3463eo0.jpg

Radiator off the valver going in.

Soldato
OP
img3468ss0.jpg
[/img]
Dropping the valver in, this was difficult, mainly because it was so big and secondly the front panel wasn't removable so there was very little room to work in, the subframe had to be dropped on the passenger side to get the gearbox in right.

img3469dg7.jpg

Just got about in, and seated on it's mounts. Then we fitted the downpipe and lambda and exhaust.

img3473ze2.jpg

Fitting the valver loom, this was also difficult as it didn't just plug and play like intended, instead we can to fabricate another loom where it interconnects with the 1.4 loom. The valver ECU was also chipped with a limit of 7500 instead of 6250.

Soldato
OP
img3478kj1.jpg

Immobiliser wires causing grief.

img3486ix4.jpg

Brakes (R21t), driveshafts, shocks and springs on from the valver.

img3487vl5.jpg

Bleeding the brakes, used the master cylinder off the valver - used a lot of parts off the valver, it was only £60 as well.

img3488xj8.jpg

Trying to fit the aux clocks off the valver but the loom was slightly different for the 1.4 so need them from a 94+ valver, mine was a 91.

img3493cw7.jpg

Finished product.

This thing is great fun coming from the 1.4, the insurance just means that it goes to grp 12 which is fine (Adrian Flux). The power compared to the 1.4 is much better, it pulls hard right up to 7k RPM, not taken it to the limiter yet. The only problems it was having was a high idle which was suspected to be the ISCV.

However my fun has been cruelly cut short due to the head gasket going. We didn't change it while the engine was out (wish we had now) and that is going to cost £400+ great. This was suspect as soon as the engine was going, as the water was boiling even though engine temps were fine, ahh well, live and learn.

I think it's definitely worth the cost though as it's a fun little car now, fast enough for me at the moment too. Just a shame about the HG (got a payen one to go on, but i cba to do the work). So yeah big thanks to Aaeron as he did most of the work and traveled quite far to help out every day for a week!

Permabanned
Looks good, but your mate must be nuts lying on his back under an engine held up on a hoist!

Having had a hoist give way and drop an engine i was fitting with my dad i will always be weary and would never lie under one!

Soldato
Good work, I'm planning to fit a 2.0 16v into my Mk1 Golf this summer.

However, surely it'd be easier/cheaper to buy a Clio 1.8 16v in the first place? Or were you just doing it for the challenge :D

Permabanned
Matmulder said:
Or were you just doing it for the challenge :D

Thats where all the fun is tbh.

Thats an easy job tbh, try changing a diesel engine on a Sprinter van, now thats a challenge :p

Soldato
OP
It was fun yeah but also damn annoying sometimes!

The donor car cost £60, I paid my mate £250 (inc petrol 80mile round trip! x4) So it was a good deal, and learned quite a bit :D

Associate
wow you make progress quick\! lol took me a year after taking my mini off the road to get another engine in, but its not my everyday car so theres no rush:) just taking it easy:) get the HG sorted! i am making much better progress now tho its worked its way right up my priority list:)

would love to see you at a run what ya brung some time:)

Dan

Associate
been following this one on wc, c16v, cs etc... and am happy to see it finished :D

good work mate :) i remember going from my 1.8 8v to the 1.8 16v :D

enjoy it!!

:edit: fancy posting me your valvers bootlid? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Slime101 said:
Looks good, but your mate must be nuts lying on his back under an engine held up on a hoist!

That was the first thing I thought as well, really not a good idea to lie underneath a hydraulicly suspended engine.

Back
Top Bottom