Best 42-50" HD Plasma?

Soldato
Looking to buy a new plasma and looking to pay upto £2000. Would prefer lower though.

42-50" are the requirements.

Been looking at the Philips 50PF7320 50" and also a few Samsungs.

Any other ideas?

Soldato
Keep away from the Philips plasma's...there no very good...

At this budget you could get a pioneer 42" 427xd (about £1400) 50" 507xd(about £1950)

The Panasonic 42" & 50" PHD9 panel only plasma's are rated very high by most owners on AV forums..If your interested in a panel only..(But i not owned or tryed one myself)

For value for money,,you can't really beat a panny 42"/50"px60 plasma...But have a read over at avforum about purple snake and green tinge problems people have reported with the 42" verison first..

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont know much about plasma's but richer sounds had a 50" LG for £1399, i never read up on plasma much, but for a 50" plasma it seemed pritty reasonable, they also had an array of other plasma's up on the wall, a few panasonic's and samsungs mainley.

Associate
Pioneer id say, I have a Pioneer 436XDE the previous generation to the 427 and its excellent. Nice piano black finish too.

Edit: Amazing picture quality from Sky HD and from HD clips via pc

Last edited:
Associate
Benny06 said:
I dont know much about plasma's but richer sounds had a 50" LG for £1399, i never read up on plasma much, but for a 50" plasma it seemed pritty reasonable, they also had an array of other plasma's up on the wall, a few panasonic's and samsungs mainley.

Not a great picture on that LG at all.
I've just bought a Hitachi 42PD9700 from there at £1200 got it cheaper though awsome piece of kit amazing picture on SD and dvd. A friend at work after seeing mine has just gone out and grabbed one too.

The Panny's are suffering from purple snakes hence the reason there selling them at £800.

After looking at a lot of plasma's over the past 2 weeks i found that the Hitachi 42PD9700 had the best picture and connection that was important to me.

Soldato
Difficult to go wrong with either Panny or Pioneer. Definately steer clear of the Philips plasmas.

If you can stretch to it though the Pioneer 507xd is pretty much unbeatable. For that price anyway. Otherwise i'd consider the 42" model.

Soldato
The 'Best' Plasma is a Fujitsu but just out of your budget. Then the PH9 but its a panel - much better than any tv plasma but you need tuners, speakers + input boards.

Other than that its the Pioneer - awesome looking screen but has the pioneer judder and lesser black levels or the PX60 - not as good looking as the pioneer and no judder. Has its own issues tho !

Soldato
Syk3 said:
Looking to buy a new plasma and looking to pay upto £2000. Would prefer lower though.

42-50" are the requirements.

Been looking at the Philips 50PF7320 50" and also a few Samsungs.

Any other ideas?

Pioneer plasma, look no further.

They're not only the best looking TVs on the market, but they have incredible performance and absolutely stunning picture quality.

I can assure you that the Pioneer PDP-427XD-TS10 Plasma HD Ready Digital Television, 42 Inch would be an absolutely fantastic buy. Do not be put off by the "1024 x 768" because on a 42"" screen, anything greater is pointless and other manufacturers use greater resolutions to draw in the consumer. Pioneers are expensive for a reason. You can indeed buy screens that look better on paper but I promise you the Pioneer are in a different league.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
Other than that its the Pioneer - awesome looking screen but has the pioneer judder and lesser black levels or the PX60 - not as good looking as the pioneer and no judder. Has its own issues tho !
But the pioneer plasma has better black level detail then the panny plasma's..Which i myself find more important..

Soldato
chaparral said:
But the pioneer plasma has better black level detail then the panny plasma's..Which i myself find more important..

No it doesnt. It has lots of settings that crush black detail, bring the black detail to the same as the Panny and the Pioneer has no where near as deep blacks. I am comparing the panel to the Pioneer not the Px60. If the Pioneer didnt judder i would take it over the PX60 but never over a PHD panny.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
No it doesnt. It has lots of settings that crush black detail, bring the black detail to the same as the Panny and the Pioneer has no where near as deep blacks. I am comparing the panel to the Pioneer not the Px60. If the Pioneer didnt judder i would take it over the PX60 but never over a PHD panny.

Are you talking from experience or on paper, because the Pioneer one in our living room (2005 model) produces black tones which literally blend in with the frame of the television. That was one of the selling points.

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Are you talking from experience or on paper, because the Pioneer one in our living room (2005 model) produces black tones which literally blend in with the frame of the television. That was one of the selling points.

Expereince. My friend has had the 434,435,436 + 427 next to the Panasonic he had at the time (so Phd6, Phd8) and they dont compare. Its well known that Panasonic do the best blacks, when they get isf calibration readings the panasonics are better but Pioneer are getting ever closer. Pioneer have vastly better casings and do look stunning on a wall. They tend to go for knockout saturation and vibrant looks - they look much more like an LCD and really grab you when you first look at them. Panasonics look much more natural like a CRT.

However if you like your Pioneer thats good, i love the design of them and where it not for the judder i would maybe have one. Both make the better plasmas and you tend to prefer one to the other so nobody loses.

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
and where it not for the judder.
I was watching the pioneer ex5000 1080p today...Glad to report there no judder on it,,if you have a spare £5000 :D

It was running much smoother then the 507xd that was running side by side with it...But me and three other customers couldn't really notice the extra detail in PQ between them :confused: ...they were both running the 1080i BBCHD preview.

Soldato
chaparral said:
I was watching the pioneer ex5000 1080p today...Glad to report there no judder on it,,if you have a spare £5000 :D

It was running much smoother then the 507xd that was running side by side with it...But me and three other customers couldn't really notice the extra detail in PQ between them :confused: ...they were both running the 1080i BBCHD preview.

I know someone who has one ;) It certinally does it less but its defi not as smooth as his Panny Pw5 - obv it looks awesome with BD or Hd-dvd !

What where they shoing on it ? It certinally suffers a bit on SD feeds but with a 1080p feed its bloomin stunning !

Godfather
Godfather
chaparral said:
Spie do Ocuk delivery these to the channel islands ???????

As am looking at upgrading my 43" 436xde to a 50" pioneer
I'm sure we can although the cost may be high. I'll look into it.

Back
Top Bottom