SpeedStep in Ubuntu

Permabanned
Hi

Ive got ubuntu running on a p4 1800-m laptop and it only runs at 1200MHz due to speedstep not working properly. This is the info I have. I was wondering if there is any way to make it run at 1800MHz, like its meant to. Ive tried googling but can't find anything useful to cure this problem.

ben@ben-laptop:~$ sudo powernowd
Password:
powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v0.97, (c) 2003-2006 John Clemens
powernowd: Found 1 scalable unit: -- 1 'CPU' per scalable unit
powernowd: cpu0: 1200Mhz - 1800Mhz (2 steps)

ben@ben-laptop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 1.80GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 1196.329
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
bogomips : 2395.05

thanks very much for any help.

Permabanned
OP
Ive added the cpu frequency selector to the panel and did
Code:
$sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
like a site said but when I change it to 1.8gig even under 100% load it goes back to 1.2gig most of the time! anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Associate
Theres an applet called EmiFreq 0.18, can't remember if I got it from an Ubuntu forum link or through Synaptic. When you add it to the panel you can control the cpu speed manually or set it to Auto.

Permabanned
What make and model is your laptop? Often laptops have slightly buggy implementations of ACPI, usually to allow extra functions for power saving and the like.

There may be some hack to get this working properly

Permabanned
OP
thanks for the help

ive tried to install that applet but one of the depencies isnt there and I downloaded it and it says I have a later one installed, anyone know how I can make the 'libatk1.0-0' dependency use this 'libglib2-0.0' as it wont work with the one I have which is a later version? is there a toolkit I can download that contains all the files needed for the applet?

the laptop is a dell c840 with a p4-m 1800 and 768MB memory.

cheers,
ghgh

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the link

I think i'll leave it how it is if it means recompiling the kernel as im very new to linux and would probably mess it up, my cd rom drive is dodgy so if this happened i might not even be able to get the os back installed.

is this probably the only way to get it working at its proper speed?

cheers

Permabanned
OP
If anyone was wondering I got it sorted...added the cpu frequency monitor panel at the top of the screen then changed it to show the frequency governors menu on the drop down list - this allowed me to set it to 'performance' and now it always stays at 1800MHz once set to 'performance' mode.

thats all there was to it.

thanks for all the help.

ghgh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom