What would you do - Emmigrating question

Caporegime
Mickey_D said:
Dude, you stick around too long and you'll find a bird to settle down with, you'll pop out a sprog or two, then you'll NEVER get a chance to see anything of the rest of the world.

Trust me, get out there while you're still young enough to have fun with it!!

I'm pushing 40 now and would give my left testicle to have the opportunity you've got dropped in your lap!!

I had to join the Navy to even come close.

Your objections to going can be countered pretty quickly.
Job - you've gotten one, you can get another.
Friends - I've had so many friends in my life that I couldn't find now if I tried. There are very few people not blood related to you that would even try to keep in touch if you moved over there. The rest aren't friends, they're drinking buddies. They're a dime a dozen and can be found/replaced in a heartbeat. True friends wouldn't hold you back from an opportunity like this. They'd be stabbing you in the back to take it from you!! :p (j/k)
LIFE - it's what you make of it. It can either be confined to a tiny little point on this great big globe, or it can be spread all over the place and enjoyed to its fullest. Your choice.

I know what mine would be in your shoes. And it wouldn't leave much time for making a reply to this post between stuffing travel bags......

Agreed.

Sound liek an opertunity of a élife time.Go for it. There is so much to see and do in this world it is a shame to spend in stuck in the UK.

My Aunt moved to Oz and she loves it, thinks the lifestle is so much better.

TBH, the UK is falling apart at the seems and the trends seem set to continue in a downward sprial. Get out while you have a chance mate.

Associate
Phate.

I'm in the midst of my US visa application, if all goes well i'll be America by the end of April. I'm looking forward to the chance at making a new life, but i've obvious got the same concerns and reservations as you. It's only natural to have reservations about such a huge change.

You can still spend Christmas with your friends over here mate, it's only a flight away. Granted your flight will be a hell of a lot farther than my flight (Boston to London), but it's still do-able.

Man of Honour
DO IT!

Let me think, Australia with its great weather, fantastic sights, young vibrant culture, a land with great opportunity for a young person or cold, wet, dreary, dirty, overcrowded, overtaxed UK?

Still here?

egt

egt

Associate
AJUK said:

Damn right!

A few years ago, i was faced with the same decision whether to go to Oz, not for emigration, but on a 12 month visa. I went! and had the time of my life.

The one thing i can tell you, if you think about it too much you will talk yourself out of it. You will always find a reason not to go.

My advice is, take a year out there and check it out :)

Caporegime
daveyj27 said:
Phate.

I'm in the midst of my US visa application, if all goes well i'll be America by the end of April. I'm looking forward to the chance at making a new life, but i've obvious got the same concerns and reservations as you. It's only natural to have reservations about such a huge change.

You can still spend Christmas with your friends over here mate, it's only a flight away. Granted your flight will be a hell of a lot farther than my flight (Boston to London), but it's still do-able.

What route are you taking to get a US VIsa- seems more or less impossible unless you have a spare million to invest.

Associate
D.P. said:
What route are you taking to get a US VIsa- seems more or less impossible unless you have a spare million to invest.

Immediate relative/spouse visa.
I've got my medical exam at the end of this month, and i'm now just waiting for my final interview date at the US embassy. Everything else is done so far.

Soldato
I'd second a lot of what people are saying about giving it a shot. It's a big step, but if you want to do it -- now is probably the time before you really get sucked into life here. I'm sure you wont have any problems finding a similar career in Oz.

Australia has 4 of the top 10 cities to live in, according to the Beeb. :)

Caporegime
Mickey_D said:
Heh, to give all you young punks an idea, I've got Air Supply playing on WMP right now and I'm able to sing along to the lyrics (much to the complete annoyment of my son :D ). ;)

*wonders how many of you are now running to Google to find out just who the hell Air Supply are* :D

Hehe good ole Air Supply:p, boy that brings back memories of my childhood.

Phate id go for it tbh, like its been said a few times...if it doesnt work out you could always come back but i highly doubt you would...not with the way this country is turning out lately.

Permabanned
I had the chance to work in South Africa at 18,
OK, I wouldn't have had anywhere near the support you'd be getting,
but then I wouldn't be sitting here wishing I'd gone.

do it :)

Soldato
Start career here if it's going to be a good one. Then try and get some kind of internal transfer to Australia after a year or so if it's an international company.

This gives your parents time to settle. You a chance to get some experience, etc.

Would you have difficulties relocating without a job? Isn't that bad on their whole 'points system' for immigration?

Caporegime
OP
Thrash said:
Been there, seen it, done it and don't regret moving to Australia one bit.

I presume your dad wants to go for a permanent visa. These are not easy to get and it also costs a fair bit of money, which is why if you get a chance like this to get permanent residency of Australia by going with your dad just now, then go for it. After a period of time in the country you can apply for citizenship, which will give you both a UK and Australian passport, allowing you to live and work in either country as and when you please.

If you want to do it when you are older it will cost you and you may not be successful, depending on what skills are required in the country at that time. You will need to pay for a skills assessment, pay for medicals and pay for the visa, which ain't cheap.

The grass is not always greener, however as I'm typing this I'm looking outside, there is not a cloud in the sky, a couple of parrots are sitting in my apricot tree and my pool is looking very inviting. You still need to pay bills and put up with all the normal things here, however it does seem to be a lot easier and less stressful when you are in Australia.

thanks for the info :) - So how long have you been living there? how old were you when you first went there?

Is the country cheaper than the UK?

Caporegime
OP
egt said:
Damn right!

A few years ago, i was faced with the same decision whether to go to Oz, not for emigration, but on a 12 month visa. I went! and had the time of my life.

The one thing i can tell you, if you think about it too much you will talk yourself out of it. You will always find a reason not to go.

My advice is, take a year out there and check it out :)

So after the 12 months what did you do? are you still there? or did you come back to Sunny England?

Permabanned
I want to go to Australia, looks real nice, nice weather and a bonus of hardly any turban/letter box burkahs/bombers etc. They keep all the immigrants out of their country pretty well imo. Think if you go there to live you must have a work emplacement or education emplacement.

Here in Britain its "EVERYONE COME IN YOU GET ALL THE WORKING PEOPLES TAX MONEYS FOR FREE, HAVE A FREE HOUSE AND LETS PARTAY."

Oh just wait till Nigeria I think thats joining, we get 1000's of them. Taxes will no doubt soar here so I think you will find Aus cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom