Need a new routine

Capodecina
Permabanned
Going to slowly setup gym at home with two friends and I want to get started ASAP using the equipment i've got. I'm just looking for help creating a routine with the sole aim being bulking up. I'll add cardio on off days and I play 6 a side football weekly.

Equipment at the moment (Not much, I know)

Bench (Bench press, laying leg curl, seated leg extension, wide arc chest fly)
Dumbells
Barbell
Tricep and Arm curl bar
Boxing bag
Bike

Pretty sure I want it over three days:

Monday - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Wednesday - Back, biceps
Friday - Legs

Thanks for any helps guys, really looking foward to getting back into it again now Christmas is over :D

Last edited:
Soldato
My old 3 day split, I mean OLD when I first started out, was:

Day 1:
Chest / Shoulders / Tri's

Day 2:
Back / Bi's

Day 3:
Legs

You could remove shoulders from day 1 and add them to day 3 if you wished. But I have always preffered to train legs on their own day as the effort is monumental and after a heavy leg workout you should be too tired to work anything else. That's my belief.

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
S7yl3s said:
My old 3 day split, I mean OLD when I first started out, was:

Day 1:
Chest / Shoulders / Tri's

Day 2:
Back / Bi's

Day 3:
Legs

You could remove shoulders from day 1 and add them to day 3 if you wished. But I have always preffered to train legs on their own day as the effort is monumental and after a heavy leg workout you should be too tired to work anything else. That's my belief.

I was looking for actual lift advice, sorry for not clarifying i'll sort it now :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at the "Westside for Skinny ********" routine (not sure if the last word is considered a naughty on this forum)

If you google the first bit you will find what i'm talking about.

It's pretty good for building strength and size.

PS. You will need to find a way to do squats with this routine, but i would say that's a very good idea whatever you decide to do.

Permabanned
found it, interesting reading :)

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm is the URL if you're interested.

This is probably the sort of thing that I'm interested in- this year I want to get back into footballing and thus want to gain/ maintain strength but have little to no interest in building huge amounts of muscle mass. Basically I'm interested in "pound for pound" strength ;)

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:

Yes the original Westside system was a designed specifically for powerlifters. Defanco has adapted it to be less aimed at improving the big 3, although that will happen if you do it right, and more for your general "athlete" who wants to build up muscle and get stronger.

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm is the URL if you're interested.

This is probably the sort of thing that I'm interested in- this year I want to get back into footballing and thus want to gain/ maintain strength but have little to no interest in building huge amounts of muscle mass. Basically I'm interested in "pound for pound" strength ;)

A more interesting read than anything that's been linked on here before. Cheers

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Monday
Behind neck press 3x8
Dumbbell front raise 3x8
Barbell upright row 3x8
Bench press 3x8
Close grip bench press 3x8

Wednesday
Deadlift 3x8
Bent-over dumbbell row 3x8 (each arm)
Barbell shrug 3x8
Barbell curl 3x8
Dumbbell hammer curls 3x8

Friday
Squat 3x8
Lunge 3x8
Laying leg curl 3x8
Seated leg extention 3x8
Crunches

Above is my idea for a routine. I'm guessing there's probably some problems or room for improvement and that's why i've posted it here. I've given the equipment that will be available in the initial post. All comments are welcome :)

Diet related question....
I'm unsure on advice to give one of my friends who i'll be working out with. He's naturally fairly strong but is quite chubby (not huge). I'm not sure just bulking and eating like I will be is the best idea?

Starting tommorow, can't wait :D

Last edited:

egt

egt

Associate
Wardie said:
Monday
Behind neck press 3x8
Dumbell front raise 3x8
Barbell upright row 3x8
Bench press 3x8

Do chest before shoulders, tbh m8.

egt

egt

Associate
Wardie said:
How's it look though?

You're after bulking, right?

Concentrate on the compound lifts. Practice getting your form right with lighter weights to avoid injury (especially deadlifts) before tackling big poundages.

Some excersises you could lose: Dumbbell front raise, Bent-over dumbbell row (i believe barbell is better) Laying leg curl, Seated leg extention.

Put in some sets of incline benchpress (barbell or dumbell) on chest day and Stiff legged deadlifts on leg day.

Most of all, enjoy your training! set yourself personal goals and be consistent :)

Last edited:
Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Wardie said:
Monday
Behind neck press 3x8
Barbell upright row 3x8
Bench press 3x8
Include bench press 3x8

Wednesday
Deadlift 3x8
Bent-over dumbbell row 3x8 (each arm)
Barbell shrug 3x8
Barbell curl 3x8
Dumbbell hammer curls 3x8

Friday
Squat 3x8
Lunge 3x8
Stiff-legged deadlift 3x8
Seated leg extention 3x8
Crunches

How does that look to you guys?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Monday
Deadlift
Bent-over barbell row
Overhand pull-ups
Chins/Curls

Wednesday
Bench press
Include dumbbell press
Standing Barbell press
Dips

Friday
Squat
Stiff-legged deadlift
Calf Raises
Ab Work

Would be better IMO. Do the exercises in whichever order suits you best. Also by swapping mon and wed, allows extra recovery time for your lower back.

Soldato
Monday
DB Incline Press 2x8 (work way upto 3 sets)
Bench Press 3x8 (slight decline better if possible)
Military Press 3x8
DB Rear Raises 3x8
Dips 3x8

Wednesday
Deadlift 3x8
Bent-over Barbell row 3x8 (forget dumbells)
Close Grip Palms In Chin-Ups 3x5 (try to add 1 rep every week, until you hit 3x12) - if you've got nowhere to do these and find somewhere, improvise! These are the daddy of lat and bicep builders!! ;)
Barbell curl 2x8 - you can build upto 3 sets but shouldn't need to 2 sets is more than enough

Friday
Squat 3x8
Lunges 3x10
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 3x8
Standing calf Raises 3x12
Crunches

EDIT - removed leg ext, not needed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom