What would you do - Emmigrating question

Zip

Zip

Soldato
BTW if you come down here you will be able to pick up V6s and V8 Comodores and Falcons starting from $500 AUD to $70,000 AUD and be able to get them insured easyer then it is to pick a booger from your nose :p

Caporegime
OP
Macabre said:
Think if you go there to live you must have a work emplacement or education emplacement.

Ah

Now this is my first problem.

I don't have any qualifications my trade is from 3 years of experience and several hours of web browsing :p

Caporegime
OP
Zip said:
BTW if you come down here you will be able to pick up V6s and V8 Comodores and Falcons starting from $500 AUD to $70,000 AUD and be able to get them insured easyer then it is to pick a booger from your nose :p

That just whisked away any ideas of shipping the Saab over :p

egt

egt

Associate
Phate said:
So after the 12 months what did you do? are you still there? or did you come back to Sunny England?

I visited Indonesia, Hawaii and LA before returning to England.

Now i have commitments i'm afraid, but i still go to Oz for a months hol every year (keeps me going), just got back in fact. Maybe i'll emigrate there myself in later life :)

As 6thElement says: "You only live once and it's a big wide World out there to discover".

What you waiting for!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
egt said:
I visited Indonesia, Hawaii and LA before returning to England.

Now i have commitments i'm afraid, but i still go to Oz for a months hol every year (keeps me going), just got back in fact. Maybe i'll emigrate there myself in later life :)

As 6thElement says: "You only live once and it's a big wide World out there to discover".

What you waiting for!!

Really does sound like an awesome place.

I think what I will do is let my parents go out there for 4 months to see how they are getting on etc. and then go out myself for a trial. Providing that they are doing ok and aren't coming back to England anytime soon.

Associate
To be honest,

the UK each and every day seems to be getting worse, however, for trained information workers like you, are are probably in the best country in the world right now for earnings.

If all do you is support and fix pcs, then maybe the choice is a little simpler (go go go), but if you are more likely a consultant working for a large firm or contracting, stay here. The UK ought to give you a very very good financial package over the coming years. Weighing this up against the raising cost of living here is upto you.

Further, when i looked into it, Aus had no need for IT workers in general, so getting a well paid job, let alone any job there would be difficult. Stay here for the short-mid term, if your parents go over, in 5-10 years when things change here, if you haven't settled, go over then.

TM

Caporegime
OP
Well...

Dad spoke to Mum about it last night and he said she is "thinking about it"

Now if she was going to say No she would have done it already.

I'll update the thread when I know more...

Associate
Phate said:
thanks for the info :) - So how long have you been living there? how old were you when you first went there?

Is the country cheaper than the UK?

I've been living in Australia for just over a year now. First started applying for the visa when I was 36 and moved when I was 39. I walked into a good developer role within 2 months of getting here and I'm now in a senior position. There are loads of IT jobs out here and companies find it hard to both get and retain staff because of this.

Some things are cheaper and some things are more expensive. However the wages are lower, so the end result is you may not be that much better off then in the UK. Having said that sun and the beach are free, there is more of an outdoor culture here and there is less reason to spend money than in the UK. I am probably better off here, despite a lower wage. I have a new Nissan X-Trail, a big motorbike and a house with a large pool.

Local and Japanese cars are cheap, much cheaper than the UK. My car was about 2/3rds the price of the UK model. European cars are more expensive from what I can see, especially BMW's etc. Petrol is a lot cheaper here, although this is just as well with all the V6's and V8's going about.

Eating out is very cheap, you can do it a lot more often here than in the UK because of the price.

Negative bits: You are a long way from the UK. Only when you have sat on a plane for 24 hours do you realise how far you are. It costs a lot to get back to the UK, ie $1000's. Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's the UK with sun. Some things are the same but there is a lot which is very very different. Be prepared for these differences. There are animals which will kill you here. In the sea and on the land. It does not happen often but every few months you hear of someone being bitten by a snake or chewed on by a shark.

At the end of the day if your dad has not started the migration process yet, you probably have at least a year to make up your mind. I wish I had come out when I was a lot younger as I like the country and lifestyle.

My biggest fear would be having to return to the UK for some reason.

Associate
Thrash,

interesting what you noted about IT jobs in Aus. How is the general IT market there? Is there work for contractors?

Do you know of any good Aus job sites?

Kind regards
TM

Associate
The site I used was www.seek.com.au. There is a lot of contract work available as well as full time positions. When I first arrived I was going to go down the contract route to start with but ended up with a full time position within 2 months of arriving.

The country is booming and along with that there is rapid growth in the IT sector. There is a real shortage of local skills in various fields. In my office there is a wide range of nationalities including Chinese, Croation, Swedish and Sri Lankan. The uni's here are churning out IT graduates but there does not seem to be enough to meet the need.

Within 3 months of starting my job, I was on an interview panel for a graduate position. Three people were put forward for it by recruitment agencies and two got jobs. Not bad odds if you were one of the three.

Edit: Thought you might be interested in last years Australia Day lamb advert that was shown on the TV here, very amusing and sums the country up quite well I thought.

http://www.themainmeal.com.au/SamsSpeech.mpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thrash said:
The site I used was www.seek.com.au. There is a lot of contract work available as well as full time positions. When I first arrived I was going to go down the contract route to start with but ended up with a full time position within 2 months of arriving.

The country is booming and along with that there is rapid growth in the IT sector. There is a real shortage of local skills in various fields. In my office there is a wide range of nationalities including Chinese, Croation, Swedish and Sri Lankan. The uni's here are churning out IT graduates but there does not seem to be enough to meet the need.

Within 3 months of starting my job, I was on an interview panel for a graduate position. Three people were put forward for it by recruitment agencies and two got jobs. Not bad odds if you were one of the three.

Edit: Thought you might be interested in last years Australia Day lamb advert that was shown on the TV here, very amusing and sums the country up quite well I thought.

http://www.themainmeal.com.au/SamsSpeech.mpg

That's good to know.

Thanks for the info :) - Going to bookmark that site as well

Associate
Thrash said:

Wow, thanks. it does indeed look as if things there are booming, thats excellent.

Thank you!
TM

Soldato
Wish I was in your shoes mate.

I plan on moving there shortly with my wife and son. Just have to decide which state and when to get the Visa application in.

Have spent 4 weeks in Aus. & have to say the quality of life over there seems to be miles better than the UK....but who knows. People that state things like 'its just as bad' really can't comment unless they have lived there for a year or so.

I know loads of people who have emmigrated there and for every 20 that has gone, 1 or 2 have returned to the UK (and usually continually comment on how they wished they never returned)

Try it and see how you get on. You can return to the UK at any time & you will get another job. Stop questioning what your guts are telling you to do - for one thing, theres a lot of very sexy women out there ;)

Back
Top Bottom