Buy French, You Get French...

Soldato
Dealers will come up with all sorts of bullocks when they know there's a warranty in place.

Still, wouldn't bother me one bit - new parts please, bring em on.

Soldato
richolmes72 said:
In 35,000 miles and 3 and a half years, my 306 was serviced ONCE (big big service though) and Crashed Twice. Gave me nothing but trouble free motoring - was on its way out though when I got rid of it.

My whole family generally only buy French cars, and tbh we never have any real issues, so I always wonder why French cars get such a bad rep reliability wise, but the statistics don't lie. Guess we're just lucky. :D

My 1.4 Clio (heading towards 82K and rather worryingly 10k past its service interval) has been no particular bother in 2 years, two cleared MOT's and 24 thousand miles of ownership.

That being said the last time I opened my sun roof, it wouldn't close and only a little frantic pushing around the plastic housing near the switch finally got it to shut...

Caporegime
OP
R124/LA420 said:
Wrong!

Cheese has uses, it can be quite nice and tastes good. None of which applies to French cars! (Hav'nt eaten one - yet! :D )

I love all cheese, it fills me with delight when at the end of a meal i can sit down and attack a nice smelly cheese board.

I like Brie / Stilton / Cambozola / wensleydale, to name but a few.

The only cheese i can't bring myself to like its this mass produced one called Renault, leaves a sour taste in your mouth, i've learn't my lesson and i won't be eating anymore of this particular cheese.

Caporegime
just put my picasso through another MOT yesterday. Its a 2001 car, so its 6 years old this year. Went through for a full service at the same time

nothing found, and passed with no advisories.

Only thing's ive done to the Picasso since i bought it in Jan '05. 1 full set of tyres, 1 Exhaust, 1 set of discs and pads and 2 services. All totalling about £5-600 off the top of my head

never had a moments trouble from it

not all french cars are made of cheese.

Associate
My old xantia only cost me £325 in total for bits in 4 years , it never failed its mot and has been the most reliable car i have ever had, i guess you get nails and gems from any car maker

Caporegime
Swissy said:
My old xantia only cost me £325 in total for bits in 4 years , it never failed its mot and has been the most reliable car i have ever had, i guess you get nails and gems from any car maker

My girlfriends Xantia is no gem, well, perhaps a gem of nails.......

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Anyone else had a 'New' car fail its first MOT?

My Fabia's first MOT is next month... I'll keep you posted. In fact when is the best time to do it? It needs the MOT when it's three years old... which is also when the warranty runs out. Do people tend to get the MOT done a month or so before hand so if any warranty faults are found they can then be fixed?

Associate
agw_01 said:
Sorry to hear that Mark :(

However, it's true that you get lemons from all manufacturers, yours may just be a lemon.

A friend of mine has an 02 plate Clio 1.2.

He got it from his mum when she upgraded her car. His mum is a driving instructor. The car has almost 150,000 miles on it. All it's needed is a new clutch, brake pads/discs and a water pump.

that a lad named martin?

Associate
Brilliant, I read this thread, go out to fetch my dad from the trainstation, and my 1.2 clio (53) decides its airbags won't work anymore while i'm sitting in the carpark.

Thanks for that :(

Back
Top Bottom