C2D boards in v2000 BTX type case

Associate
Most of these C2D boards - like the S939 I am familiar with use heatpipes on the Northbridge with heatsinks/coolers next to the CPU area. Presumably the air from the fan is intended to aid cooling.

When I placed the ASUS A8N Sli deluxe upside down in my watercooled v2000, I had to remove the northbridge heatpipe and cool the Northbridge and MOSFETS with water (OK didn't absoluetly have too but was advised is better) as the loss in airflow from removal of the CPU fan could be adverse.

The Northbridges on the Conroe boards are more fragile (?) than AMD so I've been told, but I need to know whether these C2D heatpipes still work as well upside down when in the v2000?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows

Man of Honour
All heatpipes that have a wick in them will work in either orientation. Most new heatpipes are wicked afaik so they will work fine in lian li cases.

Soldato
Jokester said:
Most motherboard heatpipes don't have wicks in them.

Rob43 said:
I'm using a DS4 in a Lian Li V1000B with no problems whatsoever

There is nothing at all in the 'heatpipe' on a DS4. I know, I've stood on one and it broke and nothing came out. It's a big heatsink. And as it's going from a hot-thing to another hot-thing how could it ever be expected to work anyway? The old ASUS Sli boards had massive problems in Lian Li cases because they had real heat-pipes in them where the NB went to a rear mounted heat-sink, but the current ones aren't really heatpipes at all. I reckon it'll work just fine.

Associate
OP
Rob43 said:
I'm using a DS4 in a Lian Li V1000B with no problems whatsoever ;)

Are you cooling with air or water 'cos the issue stemmed from the lack of air movement around the CPU when watercooled which meant the heat exchanger part didn't cool as well .

Thanks

Soldato
carbon8ed said:
Are you cooling with air or water 'cos the issue stemmed from the lack of air movement around the CPU when watercooled which meant the heat exchanger part didn't cool as well .

Thanks

I don't have a block on the NB,just the airflow through the case,does the trick for me. I do have the rear fan pulling air in & i have a 120mm fan in the top of the case drawing air out ;)

I think if you have decent airflow through the case it's not really a problem

Rob

Back
Top Bottom