Dumb Vista Question Coming Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I pre-ordered Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition from OCuk (stunning prices and all) and I am wondering if I can simply update my current OS which is Windows XP Media Center to Vista and retain all my files and programs, or does it have to be a clean reformat and install? Normally I wouldn't ask this question as previous Windows OS's have updated over one another before, but it is a leap from 32 bit OS and applications to a 64 bit OS this time around. This is why I am unsure :)

Associate
KNiVES said:
I pre-ordered Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition from OCuk (stunning prices and all) and I am wondering if I can simply update my current OS which is Windows XP Media Center to Vista and retain all my files and programs, or does it have to be a clean reformat and install? Normally I wouldn't ask this question as previous Windows OS's have updated over one another before, but it is a leap from 32 bit OS and applications to a 64 bit OS this time around. This is why I am unsure :)

Well the Beta's Upgraded...

Associate
Thats a tough one. After a quick google and read of what I can find I don't think you can upgrade. Your going to need a fresh install. I know you can from 32bit to 32bit and from 64bit to 64bit but not from 1 to the other.

Best thing to do is back up all that you need then pop the Vista DVD in the drive and give it a go. Worst case is it wont let you upgrade and you need to reformat. Remember to upgrade you need to put the Vista DVD in while XP is running, don't boot from the DVD unless you want to do a fresh install.

Soldato
OP
Ah. I purchased the OEM version, so I guess a fresh reformat is needed. I guess that's the second time in a month that I'll have to back up all my files again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom