CGI animated movies, anyone else bored of them??

Soldato
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are the pinnacle of CGI movies. Monsters Inc and Ice Age are also quite good. Most other stuff (Shrek and Finding Nemo in particular) are absolutely rubbish. I hate this Shrek obsession people have, I can't understand how anyone can consider it funny or anywhere near as good as Toy Story.

Associate
Pixar are the only company that can do the CGI justice IMO, all their films appeal to the older audience aswell and you can tell they put a lot of effort into them.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Scam said:
Not really.

I think everything points to them being aimed at children. The fact they are all U/PG, the toys, the marketing on kids TV, McDonalds Happy Meals, etc, etc.

Whether adults find them entertaining is another thing.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
p4radox said:
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are the pinnacle of CGI movies. Monsters Inc and Ice Age are also quite good. Most other stuff (Shrek and Finding Nemo in particular) are absolutely rubbish. I hate this Shrek obsession people have, I can't understand how anyone can consider it funny or anywhere near as good as Toy Story.

Finding Nemo is one of the last truely brilliant cgi movies imo.

Monsters Inc was good, but nowhere near as funny.

Shrek is ruined by the music montages, same with Madagascar.

Commissario
I must admit i haven't seen all the recent CGI animated films, but my enjoyment of what I have seen varies greatly.
Some are very good, others seem to either aimed soley at children (nothing wrong with that, in itself), or as an excuse to get as many "stars" as voices as possible (seemingly in the hope that getting 5 or 6 big names to do the voices will sell the film).

Pixar seem to be the most consistant at making good ones that are enjoyable for the whole family.

Soldato
Chaos said:
Disney just announced recently that they are going back to hand drawn animation.

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/12/19/back-to-hand-drawing-for-disney/

I thought that was something to do with Disney having to get rid of lots of jobs though. And Pixar have now officially taken precedent over Disney itself? Something like that.. apologies for being so vague. I think Pixar have taken precedent over the output of CG stuff, so Dusney can concentrate on traditional animation. But Disney have also let a lot of people go as a result. There, that kinda makes sense. :)

Caporegime
Hmm cant say im bored of them and hell im 34 yrs old:eek::p and i still love them. Seen most of them with my niece and nephew and i think they are great..aimed at kids but a lot of my mates are into them so also cater for the older crowd.

I think they are brilliant and i hope they dont stop making them, seen most if not all of them so far...have most of them on dvd as well.

Associate
Toy Story was just .... amazing.

I am right in saying this was the first film in true CGI, well a full film in CGI, as i cant seem to remember any others like it?

But ye, Final Fantasy : Advent Children - Now that is just AWESOME to watch.

Soldato
blairw said:
What Final Fanasty : Advent Children for a different take on CGI, its amazing :)

it was alright but i thought the combat scenes were slightly too fast sometimes you needed to watch a scene a few times to see exactly what was happening, then again maybe im just slow

also they should have put some blood in it aswell(seemed wierd where someone would get hit with a sword and other than recoiling there was no other visible effect) and upped the rating, most of the people who would have watched that would have known the game and would atleast be 15 by now

Soldato
Dark_Injection said:
I am right in saying this was the first film in true CGI, well a full film in CGI, as i cant seem to remember any others like it?

Yep. It was the first full feature-length. For me, TS and TS2 are still the benchmarks for these types of films.

Associate
I would have to agree that there have been many many boaring CG movies of late. They all seem to follow the same formular and the fact that I saw most of them in a 1 month period did not help. I don't think I have liked one since Finding Nemo. Then again I have been finding that my tasts in movies have changed quite a bit over the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom