is a 270w PSU going to provide enough juice

Associate
i have got a small case (micro ATX) and i'm going to build a media center using an old P4 cpu and some other bits i have laying around

i have a nice antec PSU laying around i was hoping to use but the problem is that the case wont accept a standard PSU.

There is a PSU already in the caes and it's rated at 270w is this going to provide enough juice for

P4 3ghz 478 socket
6600GT PCI-E
2 sata drives
1 DVD-RW
2x 256mb ram

Associate
If it's the enermax CS-10062 case then my psu blew up with a Nvidia 6600, 2 PATA hd's, DVD-RW, 2 sticks of ram, an A64 3000+, Asrock matx mobo and an X-Mystique soundcard, They replaced it but I bought an Antec Fusion in the meantime and left it at that...

Associate
Look at about 350W. The vast majority of PSUs included with cases are rarely up to the task of anything but web-browsing and running a few basic apps. They will almost definitely not have enough Amps @ 12V to handle a decent graphics card.

Associate
With this setup (my old one)...

Athlon 2600XP
Socket A mobo
6600GT
2 X cd drive
512mb RAM

My 270W PSU could not supply enough juice to the graphics card. This showed as poor performance. Then the PSU gave up a short time later. It's touch and go with that power!

Soldato
That would have to be a very good quality psu to cope I think and it doesnt sound like it is?
You might have been allright but that graphics card is pretty powerfull for just a media center and though I dont know if its especially efficent in its design I'm guessing you need a more powerfull psu.

Ive run a 9800pro on a 300w psu and it would black out occassionally

Back
Top Bottom