cant hit 400fsb on ds3

hi all. ive got a nice OC on my DS3 e6600 and giel 800mhz 2gb ram (see sig). however I get 'no exact in round' errors during super pi tests when i try to to 400x8=3.2ghz i would rather have this setting i want my ram to stay at 800mhz. however anything above 390ish fsb isnt stres stable. the fsb is at 400mhz as I write this but it wont pass any tests My OC in my sig is ok but i want the fsb at 400mhz, keeping the ram at stock 800mhz by using a 1:1 divider any help??? in previous threads ppl have said my rams faulty but it cant be it ran fine at 800mhz with the stock 266fsb and a diff divider!! faulty ram = bsod and ive had this ram running at 880mhz before easy with no errors on super pi 3d mark orthos etc. Thanks!! :D

PS i got f6 bios if that helps and ive tried upping both the motherboard voltages by 0.3v and no luck. same goes for ram, even at +0.3v. i am now getting very occasional restarts and programs cause error and have to be closed, yet im not back to my sig OC and all is fine agen. i really want 400fsb please help if u got it on your ds3 please tell :p

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same RAM and motherboard as you and had little problem getting it to run with my CPU at 470x7 and 1:1 divider. I had to up the RAM voltage to +0.4V and slacken the timings a little to get it stable though. I'm using F4 BIOS by the way. I read on another thread that some people with later BIOS's had trouble running with tighter RAM timings.

Soldato
mglover070588 said:
hi all. ive got a nice OC on my DS3 e6600 and giel 800mhz 2gb ram (see sig). however I get 'no exact in round' errors during super pi tests when i try to to 400x8=3.2ghz i would rather have this setting i want my ram to stay at 800mhz. however anything above 390ish fsb isnt stres stable. the fsb is at 400mhz as I write this but it wont pass any tests My OC in my sig is ok but i want the fsb at 400mhz, keeping the ram at stock 800mhz by using a 1:1 divider any help??? in previous threads ppl have said my rams faulty but it cant be it ran fine at 800mhz with the stock 266fsb and a diff divider!! faulty ram = bsod and ive had this ram running at 880mhz before easy with no errors on super pi 3d mark orthos etc. Thanks!! :D

PS i got f6 bios if that helps and ive tried upping both the motherboard voltages by 0.3v and no luck. same goes for ram, even at +0.3v. i am now getting very occasional restarts and programs cause error and have to be closed, yet im not back to my sig OC and all is fine agen. i really want 400fsb please help if u got it on your ds3 please tell :p

It's quite feasible your CPU isn't up to it. You don't mention the CPU temperatures or whether you can comfortably place your hand on the Northbridge cooler. My bet is on the Northbridge not being cooled properly and it's bombing out due to that.

Soldato
Seen this prob a few times before, have you disabled "usb legacy support" in the bios? if not, do so, set ram timings to 5-5-5-12 @ +0.3vdimm, try again. This happened to me, couldn't get past 430fsb, now I can get 3.2ghz at stock cpu volts

Soldato
OP
tried voltages but no luck, usb leagacy disabled. i only have the f6 bios. the f10 one says it has greater fsb flexibility. would that help??? ive read in other forums thatthe f8 and f9 bios's are unstable or something.
The northbridge is very hot and not comfortable to keep your hand on. If i remember correctly it was very hot at stock aswell, thats why i wasnt hoping to increase any motherboard voltages. i bet the motherboard would have OC'ed much much better with a better hs or even a hsf. cpu temp is about 59idle, 70 under 100% load with TAT. High i know but I like the pc quiet, and it is very very quiet. But i think il have a fiddle in the bios to get the idle a little lower, maybe to 50degrees.

Last edited:
Soldato
furnace said:
I wouldn't run at 70'c... the max specified operating temperature is 60.1'c, so you shouldn't go much over that. If a processors runs at stock over 60.1'c they'll call it faulty, so really you don't want it running over that or one day you might have a burnt cpu!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8

Sacrifice a bit of silence, for the sake of your CPU! :p

I think you're confusing the Thermal Specification figure and the maximum operating temperature. The Thermal Specification figure is a calculated number based on the thermal properties of silicon and the power consumption of the processor;

Intel Website said:
Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.

As long as you have TM1&TM2 enabled on your motherboard you cannot burn-out your processor with heat.

Soldato
OP
even with the rear 12cm fan on full and the cpu fan on full 100% load creeps up from 45 (given some time after xp startup) to about 65 with a reduced overclock aswel. im assuming i need to slap sum artic silver on the hsf as the heatsink atm is only warm. is 70 degrees safe?????

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I think you're confusing the Thermal Specification figure and the maximum operating temperature. The Thermal Specification figure is a calculated number based on the thermal properties of silicon and the power consumption of the processor;

As long as you have TM1&TM2 enabled on your motherboard you cannot burn-out your processor with heat.

:o There's me told!

But 70'c can't be good for the CPU. You can't say that that temp is OK, surely.. everyone wants it below 65'c absolute max, and a lot of people never even get over 50'c. It's up to you at the end of the day, I was only giving a friendly warning.

What do TM1&2 do? Decrease the voltage/speed if the CPU gets too hot? Or just turn the computer off when it's too hot? Either way, it's still better to avoid that lot coming into action...

Well yeah whatever, basically I don't think it's a good idea to run at 70'c ;)

What CPU Cooler do you use? Do you have a fan blowing air in at the front (or maybe at the side), and one sucking it out at the back?

EDIT: just noticed your sig spec.

Maybe you have a bad Arctic Freezer 7... Big Wayne had a bad one and I think I do too (used to idle at about 50'c, but I lapped the processor, now it idles around 40'c but that's on full, it should be lower than that). Also I got a lot off my temperatures by making sure that I made the layer of Arctic Silver 5 was as thin as humanly possible, but still covers the whole processor. But that's apparently a bad idea unless you have a processor that's definately flat (mine is, as I lapped it).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ty for the feedback furnace :)
i wil deffo put as5 on it ithink. just came off an hours session on oblivion and both cores were at 59 degrees. must be the thermal paste then ithink as upping all the fans makes only a small diff, except when the hsf and rear 12cm fan are at 100% but then it sounds like a jet engine. i found tm2 in the bios and enabed it. but cant find tm1 anywer

Last edited:
Associate
what week is your processor? i had a week 26 e6600 and it just wouldn't do 400 fsb no matter what . 7x 8x or 9x. so i ebayed it and bought an e6400 which runs sweet at 3.2gig and gets my ram to 800mhz. i can even get it to 3.6gig but the ram has to run at 900mzh.
i suspect the chip isn't capable of this high an fsb

Soldato
OP
i assume that is written on the cpu. will have a lookwhen ichange the thermal paste. i will also check the hsf is seated properly as it is much cooler than my x2 one was and that was retail yet the cpu is hot :confused: .

hmmm could be just plain bad luck in not gettting a beasty clocker, it even does 3.4ghz on a mild v increase aswel! ive read about conroes (not allendales) hiting fsb walls at under 400fsb. seems wierd tho that it will do 3.2ghz stock volts, yet wont do 6x400 2,4ghz which is the stock speed anyway.
im still warey of how hot the northbridge is, yet if gigabyte allow voltage increases and massive fsbs then it must be ok they designed it after all.

cheers for the input :) any comments on what i just said would be good tho :D

Last edited:
Associate
its also on the box is reads something like l626A

year 06 week 26 batch a .

up the mobo voltage up .25

leave the fsb .1 increase

but yes i had exactly the same problem with my conroe , so i sold it :D

Soldato
OP
box is at home im at uni at the moment. the cpu was bought about 3 weeks ago from OC. if its just a bad clocker (im happy with 3.2ghz stock volts its mega fast) then il just get a quad core in a year or sumat, simple :p
just given the voltages a go tomki but no luck. doesnt even like 6x400=2.4ghz. i just flashed with f10 bios as i only had f6 so il try that
EDIT: ive tried all sorts of voltages. it runs super PI with 0.3V RAM even tho the rams still 800mhz :confused: and +0.2V mch (ithink thats what its called). anyway after a few runs of 32mb superpi i get a random reset. i tutch the chipset heatsink and No Swearing! me its hot it burnt my finger a bit!! seems like my problems are due to one hot chipset, which runs fine up to 385ish fsb but when it needs voltae increase i think the temps get too much. also f10 bios made no difference. whilst its a great motehrboard for the price, seems kinda dopey to have a passive hsf cos it gets seriously hot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom