Cheap trackday car

Soldato
There's plenty of suitable MR2s about and plenty more being broken as prices are pretty low right now.

Ultimately the big deciding factor on the value of an mr2 is the condition of the bodywork as parts are easy to come by for sorting out mechanical stuff. As a result getting a cheap ratty looking one is easy, as is getting an expensive minter. The difficult part is finding a tidy car without paying too much for it. As you're only after a track car anyway this isn't a concern.

Soldato
mr tommo said:
Why cant I find ANY mk1 MR2's on autotrader?

Should what are they like as a track day car?

There are a few on pistonheads.

Well a mid engine rwd car is going to be good for track use. Not the fastest in a straight line but meant to be good at handling.

Soldato
Mk1 MR2 sounds good. Or maybe a 405 Mi16. They're a bit nippy, and probably even quicker without all that lovely soft upholstery.

Soldato
While we are on the topic of old boxy cars.... Pretty sure my dad used to have a FIAT X19... Just looked them up on autotrader :eek: Look awful!

What were they like?

EDIT Just read...they recieved a power hike to 85bhp :o :p

Last edited:

Soldato
205 gti mi16

or a 2l 16v nova/corsa

built my last valver nova on a budget of 500 quid :)

with a bit of cash flung at one they do actually handle(just needs spent in the right places) strip it get it down to 850kg and your looking at 170 bhp per ton :)

Man of Honour
OP
volospian said:
But you could strip this out and make a decent track dayer out of it, if you're quick! :)
Great price but little details on servicing, mileage etc plus it's too far away to check out :/ I have found this though

1983 PORSCHE 924 Lux FH

98300 miles, vgc, 11months mot, 6 months tax. interior in good condition, no rips or tears. Exterior good with a few stone chips. new tyres. cheap classic insurance.. £975.

Is there much difference between the 944 and 924?

Soldato
Duke said:
Great price but little details on servicing, mileage etc plus it's too far away to check out :/ I have found this though

1983 PORSCHE 924 Lux FH

98300 miles, vgc, 11months mot, 6 months tax. interior in good condition, no rips or tears. Exterior good with a few stone chips. new tyres. cheap classic insurance.. £975.

Is there much difference between the 944 and 924?

The main differnce is the engine. The 924 has a 2.0 VW lump originally designed for their van while the 944 has a 2.5 porsche developed lump.

The 924 is a bit lame, but does share parts with a lot of VAG motors of the time, so I'd guess they could be fairly well maintained by trips to the scrappy if needs be.

The 924 Turbo was a faster car, but I think it still used the 924 lump but with a KKK turbo strapped to it. A new turbo + some fettling and you could probably turn a basic 924 into a turbo'd lump.

Have a read of this for a bit more info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom