P5AD2-E, think it's caput...

Associate
Hello all,

I turned off my computer the other night, with the plan of looking at my ram to see exactly what it was, so that I could order some more (go from 1gb to 2gb).

Anyways, after looking with a torch, I closed the case door and turned on the power, but it just seemed to hang. It powered up, hard drive started, dvd started, yet no post beeps or output via my graphics. Needless to say I was a bit puzzled (especially as I did not touch a single thing in the case, I was able to look at the ram sticks without touching a single cable!).

So, I tried a couple more times and kept getting the same result. However this time when I tried to turn the PC off via the power button, it turned off, then seconds later turned itself back on.

Cutting a long story short, I stripped the PC down to the bare minimum, ie no HD, DVD, graphics etc plugged in and kept trying the system to see if any of those were the problem. They wern't as far as I could tell.

Kept trying various things, I even stripped the power button off thinking it was somewhat dodgy, and after doing that (i was powering it on by connecting the 2 bare wires) I finally got some post beeps.

The post beeps were going far too fast for my liking, but I know it was either 8, 9, 10 or 11 (AMI Bios). 9, 10, 11 basically means my motherboard is screwed unless I fiddle about with replacing bits on it (note: I reset the cmos by taking battery out, changing the jumper for 5 seconds, replacing it, replacing battery, then trying again).

This all happened last night, and I was getting frustrated, so trying it about 30 minutes ago, with the Graphics, Hard Drive, CPU, and RAM, it booted up, 1 beep and promptly loaded into Windows XP...I was delighted. I turned it off again, and retried it to make sure this wasn't some fluke and...nothing. I can't even get the POST beeps again (my error was obviously not checking boot files etc whilst I was in XP, but I wasn't expecting it to fail again...Hindsight is a wonderful thing...I know)

Does this mean that the Motherboard is screwed somewhere, or am I missing something ?

p.s on the bright side if it is buggered, I'm tempted by the Intel Core 2 Duo :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, little update.

I've been able to get it running again like before, checked all the boot settings, sequences, etc etc and when I was happy everything was normal, I restarted...

No Post beeps once again. I just can't work it out. It can't be the CPU or Graphics otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get into XP and see what I was doing. That leaves the RAM, the Hard Drive and mobo. I'm counting the hard drive out as it is fairly new (had to replace my old one as a similar thing was happening some months ago), and I guess once again, without RAM I wouldn't be able to get into XP ?

Any help please ?

Back
Top Bottom