What TV, BB & Phoneline package!

Associate
Hey guys,

Myself and the GF are soon to move in to our first house together, which we're really happy about. This in mind I have been having a quick skim over a few TV, BB & Phone packages that are good bang for the buck so to speak and was wonder what you guys and girls are on at the mo, or have found? :)

The Sky packages seem to have the edge over the Telewest ones, for example Telewest offer 2MB broadband with unlimited use and Sky offer 8MB broadband, but with a 40GB download limit (not sure what that actually means) for the same price.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Soldato
telewest offer 10MB with NO download limit(and they are trialing 20+50MB), it's about £35 a month, though they let you have it half price for 3 or 6 months if you take another service from them

Associate
OP
Well I don't really think I'm going to need more than say a 4MB line, so 8MB is more than enough really as I'm not a power-downloader.

Can anyone tell me what the 40GB download limit mean, would that for example incorporate game update downloads?

Associate
bigbadish said:
Well I don't really think I'm going to need more than say a 4MB line, so 8MB is more than enough really as I'm not a power-downloader.

Can anyone tell me what the 40GB download limit mean, would that for example incorporate game update downloads?

It includes everything, whatever happens over the wire. So if you do a lot of online gaming, expect to be using up a helluva lot of bandwidth.

TM

Permabanned
NTL / telewest they are the same company with near identical products. generally regarded as the best option for high speed net + tv and phone.

Soldato
I've got a 15gb download limit apparently and even in the months where I've downloaded absolutely shedloads more than I'm supposed to, I've never heard a word from my ISP.

Wouldn't worry at all about the limit.

Associate
I used to have Telewest 10mbps internet and it's the best domestic interent service on the market.

Download speeds are high and latency incredibly low - and consistantly.

Now I have ADSL "up to 8mbps" it's like going back to dialup, widely inconsistant and horrific latency. I hate it!

Cable > *

Associate
OP
Oh no, it seems that NTL is not wired up in my new homes area, according to the Postcode search :(

If there isn't anything to worry about regarding the 40GB download limit I think the Sky package would be best, although Sky BB has a prerequisite of a BT landline, but that's not a huge problem.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
AthlonTom said:
Rubbish - gaming usage is lower than you'd think.

Id read differently. Again, depends on how much and what you play. But I dont see how it can amount to very little considering a constant up and down stream plus the fact you are (depending on the game) likely to be sending a sizable amount of constant data (25K/s when combinding up and downstream) for 2-5 hours a day for 30 days, I think that adds up fairly quickly,

TM

Soldato
Cables 3 for £30 is by far one of the best offers out there imo. :)

You really don't need more than 2MB if there is only 2 of you, although remember you can always upgrade later if you want.

Back
Top Bottom