• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

real world difference - amd vs intel?

Associate
Chris Beard said:
OP did say this wasn't a fan boy post. I don't the OP wants to compare AMD and Intel, just his chip and the 6600.

I would use his chip (Opty 165 vs E6600) in the same context as comparing Intel and AMD chips. I don't believe in all the fanboy rubbish anyway.

Personally I don't really care which manufacturer of CPU I have in my system, just whichever offers the best performance which, in my opinion, is the Core 2 Duo chip at present.

To bolster this, I hasten to add that I have always had an AMD-based CPU in my system since the days of the Pentium II yet I would go for a Core 2 Duo over an Opty or A64 simply because of the performance difference, not because of manufacturer preference.

To digress, I would say that the E6600 would offer a substantial difference over the Opty 165 in games but not so much in 'normal' desktop applications.

Soldato
OP
H0wz3r said:
I have an Opty 170 at the moment running at 2.67GHz - how did you get your 165 to run at 2.85GHz? What settings did you use i.e. FSB/HTT speed, multiplier, memory timings etc?

FSB 317, memory timings default for my ram (3-3-3-8), multiplier fixed at 9
Could probably go higher but i'm unsure what to do with ram timings or whether my ram itself is a limiting factor.

HTH
m

Associate
OMG ? talk about censorship ? One mention of the sacred three letters & your post's get deleted !!!

Ye of Little Faith !!!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
dark4orz said:
OMG ? talk about censorship ? One mention of the sacred three letters & your post's get deleted !!!

Ye of Little Faith !!!!

Multiple people reported your post as offensive and inappropriate. In future if you want to discuss moderating decisions the forums is not the place, take it to email.

Soldato
I upgraded from an x2 4400 to an E6300.

The difference in a vast majority of things is small.

I do a lot of video encoding and the Intel is many times quicker.

However, I have found a fair few problems when it comes to playing Need For Speed Games, and also HalfLife2:Episode One ( Although the other HL/HL2 games are fine )

It got so bad, that I decided to stick with the AMD as my main box.

I have also found that in spite of what many seem to keep saying to the contrary, that the AMD is better when its loaded up and has a load of work to do... Both the AMD and the Intel slow down of course they do, but the Intel seems to suffer a lot more than the AMD does.

End of the day, you got AMD , if you were to go the Intel path, them yo uare going to need MOBO, CPU & RAM.

You got to add the cost of those up and then consider whether its worth spendign that much money for the speed upgrade?

I think being optimistic,the speed will be about 20-30% faster on the Intel... Depending on what you use your PC for mostly.

Soldato
Rroff said:
Out of interest what kinda problems do you have playing games (such as NFS) with the E6300?

NFS - Well, firstly during an install the EREG.EXE ( Registration ) crashes. The game itself installs fine.
This did not happen with UnderGround 1, and also that games plays fine too, but UnderGround 2, Most Wanted and Carbon all crashed at this point.

During the game play, its totally random when it happens, HEAT is fine, RAM is fine etc, it just closes off with a SPEED.EXE has crashed popup window.

HalfLife 2 : Episode One
Installs perfectly fine, and runs ok for about say 3 - 5 minutes but then it hangs.

When it hangs, there does not seem to be any way around this.

I tried running in a window, running with no audio, and these made no difference at all... When it crashes, that it. Even a reset gets ignored and the only way to get control back of the PC is to power it off... Now when it crashes while in a window, I can move the mouse and things do sort of try to work, but bringing up the TaskManager to try to kill off HL2 results in *** system ghoing into shock, and then its the power off option.

Really annoying.

Cant really say that much for other games as I dotn bother with that PC much anymore, and I am back on my good old ( REALIABLE ) MSI Neo4 & x2 4400, which has not crashed since the day I knocked it up.

I am still working on the Intel however, tahst obvious, and I do play almost every day on it, and for normal other work, its great, but for those games, its simply not... Its poo.

Soldato
Actually isnt lame only using one core?

And, can I also add, that I do a lot of VIDEO encoding and I have to say that only one program that I use actually uses both cores... DVD Santa!

All the rest only actually use one core.

Ooo... Where has my quote gone?

Man of Honour
hmmm Underground 2 and Most wanted installed fine on my core 2 duo based system and play fine (aside from issues with lack of widescreen support)

I know this is going over old ground, but to be honest after reading everything you've posted I think theres something very wrong with your core 2 duo system and its unfair to compare it against any working system.

Soldato
Oh, I have no doubt that there must be somethign wrong, however, everything else runs just fine, it Primes just fine ( 6th day ) and the 3rd day of orthos on Core 2, no problems.

So, that says my system is stable as can expect it to be.

Yes, on the other side of the coin, try searching for EREG.EXE in google?

So, many many many others have similat issues as me.

Soldato
Rroff said:
hmmm Underground 2 and Most wanted installed fine on my core 2 duo based system and play fine (aside from issues with lack of widescreen support)

Dont know if you're aware, but go over to widescreengaming.com. Ive got nfsmw running at 1280 x 800 fine.

Man of Honour
widescreengaming.com is some ad site...

I know the site you mean tho - but it was kind of a hack job and IIRC still had a stretched hud, tho atleast the 3D scene was kinda fixed.

Associate
dark4orz said:
intels are crap, thats why im going to sell mine ? And yes I've heard it before why would you wanna sell a decent chip, im fed up with it !

Stick with your amd mate, your not gonna gain much. But mind you this thread might get deleted as its going against the Grain. :D

ahahahahahaha
nice joke there!
Please explain why they are bad? At least show us a benchmark somewhere which says that any AMD chip can beat an E6700 without overclocking?
The 1.83 GHz E6300 (the cheapest Core 2 CPU) is on par with an Athlon 64 X2 5000+.....

Heck most AMD chips will struggle to beat an E6300 without overclocking...

Soldato
I can see where he is coming from however...

Apart from the odd Intel here and there in the past, my only real intel experience has been one that has very nearly been a complete wash-out!

Let me explain...

I got hold of a P4 /3.6Ghz Prescott 660 PC. Got it for a song and I jumped at it.

Now, CPU-wise, it was great. I forget the 1MB SuperPI figures right now, but I had a Newcastle 3000 next to that PC and I had to run the Newcastle at 2.4Ghz to have them both giving me the same SuperPI results.

Ok, this was cool.... The P4 showed me that it was a nic eenough CPU and that MHZ-wise, the AMD was about 50% faster... 2.4Ghz AMD = 3.6Ghz P4

Now, in terms of real-world speed however, that P4 was dire, and I do mean dire. It was sluggish and seriously poor... I ran a couple of tests... The sort of things I did was highlight a number of apps on the desktop and run them all... The AMD run them, I was able to exit, and then shutdown and restart and then re-run them all over again, all before the first app was fully ready to play on the P4.

The AMD was quite simply dozens of times faster at loading and saving its files than the Intel was.

Now, I was on the verge of giving the Conroe a shot... I had the CPU in this P4, I had a pair of Kingston RAM and all I needed was the Mobo, so I got a DS3, and the P4 & Kingston was able to let me play with the DS3, and it wasnt long before I had a play with clocking the P4... 10 minutes I think it was???

Anyway, I got that baby to 4.7 with very little effort, just tons of Farenheit so I backed it off to 4.3 and its been sat there like that ever since.

Now, on realising that the P4 is now faster than any of my AMDs are, I knew that the conroe would be even quicker... I liked the DS3 and so I got another one... Pair of Corsairs this time got me sorted there, and I have now accepted that even though I have a load of PCs, consisting of Opterons and both single and dual core A64s and a pair of ridiculously overclocked Socket A's, and while all of them are clocked to hell and back, they simply dont come close to the conroe and only a few can beat the P4.

So, the moral I suppose if you can navigate the trollop is simple...

Had I accepted that the P4 was about as good as intels got based on that first experience with the original Mobo ( Asus P5GD1 ) then I would have to say that Intel are utter poo and dont deserve to waste space in my house.

However, after then taking it to a better Mobo and better RAM ( DDR2 ) has obviously let the beast loose so to speak.

I have to now say that Intel are the main man.

So, Dark4orz has quite possibly only been able to test out intel on such a system as my first one...Then sure, his experience is that intel are not as good as AMD... However.... if he has seen a properly setup Intel ,and still says that Intel are crap, then we must have to come to the obvious conclusion that he is talking out of his arse.

Just my thoughts on that.

Back
Top Bottom