• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which one

Associate
Im still undecided on what to get, it needs to be agp and one that will last me for a few years.

what I have is a p4 HT 3.20ghz 2512gb ram, i checked dells site and it says the power supply for the 8300 is a 250Watt power supply.

the best ones i think on this site is the HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (AGP)

or

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

would these even work, i dont know.

im playing vanguard at the mo and its eating my 9800xt to death.

help again.....

Soldato
No way you can use a x1950 or the other card with that psu. Sorry but your gona have to upgrade your psu before you consider a high end card like the x1950pro or the nvidia alternative.

Soldato
yea, not to sound mean, but if you intend upgradeing your pc, you should really read into it before randomly buying stuff, upgrade the psu to a 500w minimum if your gonna buy those cards....

ags

Permabanned
ooo yea, your PSU is just too low im afraid :( you try running a card like the ones you want will kill your psu within a few weeks :( also as its a DELL system you may find it bloody difficult to find a PSU upgrade as they use propriatory parts in order to make sure you only buy from dell, and pay for it you will too. if however you are lucky and by some miracle your system doesnt use propriatory DELL parts then a 400 to 430 Watt branded PSU will be ample for either of those cards.

but if not, my advise is you should try a 7600GT AGP (uses less power than a 9800XT, has the same power as a 7800GT), its a fast enough card to play the likes of BF2 and FEAR at full graphical detail 1280X1024 provided you have 2 gig of ram of course (otherwise trying for full detail on 1 gig = stutters) and you should be able to get away with a 250 watt DELL PSU as they tend to be quite robust. i would limit any drives / passive powered USB devices you have though.

ooo, also

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-088-LT

the 7600GT AGP is on a this week only special offer :) £105 (£113 inc delivery)

p.s. not to sound too much like a pimp but i would be interested in your 9800xt too, poor sisters only got a 9200 lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks all, i'll have a look about and no doubt get back to you if i find smething.
agnes said:
yea, not to sound mean, but if you intend upgradeing your pc, you should really read into it before randomly buying stuff, upgrade the psu to a 500w minimum if your gonna buy those cards....

ags
thats why I asked here before I bought anything as I thought the power supply would be trouble.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update.

Checked this site and they seem to provide upgraded PSU for dell computer, seen this one for me 8300. PSU LINK

based in america as I couldnt find any site for UK suppliers.

Think this one would do for those cards??

thanks a lot.

Soldato
dragon18007 said:
Update.

Checked this site and they seem to provide upgraded PSU for dell computer, seen this one for me 8300. PSU LINK

based in america as I couldnt find any site for UK suppliers.

Think this one would do for those cards??

thanks a lot.
That looks reasonably good, has a decent 12v rail, i think that should cope, as long of the rest of your system is at stock.

Associate
OP
Gonna take out, well unplug my floppy drive as I never use it and i'll only have the 2 dvd drives and the hard drive plugged in.

Any one know of a place in the UK that I could get a PSU from for my dell 8300 P4 3.20ghz 2512mb.

Thanks

Soldato
agnes said:
yea, not to sound mean, but if you intend upgradeing your pc, you should really read into it before randomly buying stuff, upgrade the psu to a 400w minimum if your gonna buy those cards....
Fixed for you. :)

Soldato
dragon18007 said:
Gonna take out, well unplug my floppy drive as I never use it and i'll only have the 2 dvd drives and the hard drive plugged in.

Any one know of a place in the UK that I could get a PSU from for my dell 8300 P4 3.20ghz 2512mb.

Thanks
Only suggestion i could give is to contact Dell with that question & see where they direct you.

Back
Top Bottom