Anyone else think Half life 2 is poo

Soldato
Half Life 2 was, in the grand scheme of PC games, very good.

It has an awesome graphics/physics engine, which is very scaleable - produces graphics to my eye of at least as good a quality as the Doom 3 engine, and runs well on hardware that's far inferior to that needed to run Doom 3.

I found the game pretty enjoyable. If I'm honest, I don't go much for the free-form, non-linear thing as it means the game usually has a weak story. The reason I liked HL, and HL2 was because of it's linearity. Both games have a very strong storyline, and tell it well, although I think the original game was a couple of years ahead of it's time, and HL2 hasn't moved on very much... Perhaps there isn't that far on it can actually move?

Permabanned
Lolcb said:
Lol trust me man. Without those oblivion mods, don't put your hopes up too high. Its a very very boring game to me, worse than hl2 but prettier than hl2.

Oblivion is an ace game, thats of your oppinion, obviously you don't like RPG's while the rest of us do.

Soldato
Given that I've played through HL2 three times already and probably will when I next upgrade, I like it, a lot. :D

That said, I can see why people would hate it and I was at the same position at one point, untill it suddenly hit me and I fully realised what the developers were trying to create here. My best advice when playing the game is to take it easy and not blast through it like a madman; you'll slowly start to appreciate all the little subtleties that make the game great. Put it this way, even if the number of enemies throughout the game was cut in half, I'd still enjoy the game. ;)

If that doesn't work then your tastes are probably more suited to Farcry.

Soldato
I don't see how someone can get bored with HL2, but not with doom3. Doom was just walk to that place, and kill lots of monsters that jump out at you. I didn't feel there was any story line or point. HL2 however, i felt every goal you were set had a purpose and wasn't just something to shoot or blowup. HL2 did HL1 proud in my eyes.

Associate
I LOVE Doom 3, for the most part. I played about 9 hours straight the night I got it. I hate how it's always compared to Half Life 2 when I consider it the greater game. Far more atmospheric than Half Life 2 which I think has cartoony graphics. It just didnt draw me in like Doom 3. I literally had jaw dropping moments with that game.

I was really looking forward to Half Life 2 though..I got up at 8am to play it :p But all in all it was a really bland, boring experience I have no desire to repeat. I've played it once and haven't had the desire to play through again. I literally only remember a really long boring bit with a water vehicle, a really long boring bit with a go-kart and Ravenholme. The rest of it was pretty forgettable, especially the bits in the Prison and that goddawful Citadel.

I love the first game, and i've played it countless times, but number 2 was a huge disappointment. The guns felt horrible (the smg was pathetic compared to the fantastic smg in the first game) The storyline was quite unspectacular too, and I to this day still don't get the hype. I've seen it done better in countless other games previously, including FPS, so what was the big deal?

All that, and I got *Sick* to death of hearing all the hype about how brilliant it was, how Doom 3 sucks in comparison, and how when I last read Pc Gamer they mentioned Half Life 2 in most of the reviews I read ("The story is no Halif Life 2" etc etc.)

I tried playing Episode 1. Don't get me started on that :o

Associate
I enjoyed HL2, not as much as HL1... I agree the story for HL2 is kinda ***** in comparison to HL1.

Oblivion I enjoyed... sorta... but I was pretty disappointed with it. Was expecting something monumentally advanced after Morrowind.

Associate
had to add the following;

what, i feel, sets both HL1 and 2 aside from most other similar titles is the quick-save system, in conjunction with the endless 'set-pieces' as it were.

playing through the game (which i've done 5 or 6 times to date), whenever i come up to a 'scripted' fight, i'll quicksave. once its over, even though i'll get through it with no problems, i'll immediately be re-loading the previous quicksave to see the different ways i could have dealt with the situation.

am i going to conserve ammo? try making a barricade? put a nade through that window and try and blow everyone up? or just go all out rambo-style?

everything in the game has so many ways to go about, and though it's extremely linear, you still get the feeling theres always another approach to a situation.

worth every accolade it gets imo

Associate
I think Hl2 will stand the test of time as HL1 has. hl1 was more enjoyable, but hl2 isnt without its merits. ive played it through a few times when ive upgraded the gfxcard just to see it in its full glory ;) most gut wrenching moment is on novas prospect and you get trapped in a big room with a constant onslaught of combine and only 3 turret guns to try and keep up. try playing on hard when they pretty much just keep chucking nades in ;)

HL2:EP1 im finding abit of a bore, just dont seem to have a goal more then get out the city and solve little puzzles on the way, just so you dont finish it in 10 mins. Im waiting for the Blackmesa mod and play through hl1 again in hl2 luxury ;)

Doom3 is incredably borring by comparison with its run and gun approach and no story but then i guess that is well..doom. its a game thats already forgoten and wont make any best game list.

Oblivion is the worst game ive played by far and hell knows how it made game of the year. and mmo style game for the single player. just doesnt work. Dark massiah makes the syle of game much more interesting to play although i realise its not quite the same freeroam style game.

fear i got bored of very quickly, the enviroments never seem to change , its like a story-less metel gear ;)

and finaly farcry. I so want to complete this, but the game annoys me a lot. if you try to go around the battle area and pick off the enemys and plough through you miss all the checkpoits and its a long way back when one of those snarling dog things single shots me ;) this game will be remembered for sure do it setting a new fps standard at the time as hl1 did before it.

Red Faction should get a mention as it had a reasonable good storey and good gfx for the time. just wish more was done with geomod and a good pc sequel. rf2 on console was just dire and had nothing in common with the first.

Last edited:
Associate
I found HL2 dissapointing, i never played the original so came to it fresh, whether thats a good or bad thing. It did come across as walk from scripted fight area to scripted fight area. You would reach a location, see several convient barrels and boxes and know that this was the direction the enemy would come from. The hoverboat thing just went on and on and on. Maybe i will give it another go.

Permabanned
tomanders91 said:
I found it so damn boring, yeah it looks nice but gameplay is knowhere near as good as the original, on the top 10 pc game list everyone has it, i just dont see how its good, the only thing that i found worth the money was that it came with counters strike source. Every Reviewer loves it and gives it 9 and 10 out of 10 in reviews, but imo its like a 5 or 6.

LEAVE THIS PLACE AND NEVER RETUTRN
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom