myprotein users

Soldato
NitrogenY3K said:
I have just recieved my protein extreme bedtime formular choclate (advised by nutritional advisor) and it is absolutly disgusting.

You got it flavoured?! Are you a man or a mouse?! ;)

It isn't particularly pleasant, the l-glutamine makes it really gritty, but i wouldn't go as far as saying its disgusting.

Just think about how much good its doing you while you try to force down each mouthful!! :D

Soldato
Yup i just ram it down. But I use it as one of my meals mixed with oats and penut butter, so its very very bitty. Then for my PWO I use it with oats/Leucine/flax seed oil, so both are very bity. Oh well got to be done.

Soldato
I will let you know on how they taste, but if they taste bad drinking them raw i will just fry them in olive oil and eat them like that.
I will keep you updated :D. I really like that feature on there where you can build your own protein shake, very good that is :)

Soldato
ethos said:
I don't know why you guys use the price matcher instead of just getting it from the site itself?!

I use:

http://www.sports-nutrition.net/

Add 2 unflavoured tubs of protien... then add the code "muscletalk" which makes them £22.93 delivered the same as myprotein. Plus they come in proper screw-top tubs. Rather than the paint type crappy tub that comes from myprotein. All-in1 is a sister company of Reflex.

They are also selling 2 bottles of ZMA for £10.99.. add 2 and use the code ZMA4U.
Fair enough if you only want protein but if you want anything else then why go there?

Also I buy the big 5kg tubs of protein and you're right they are a pain but I've kept a couple of the old REFLEX protein tubs from ages ago, I just top them up ;)

Also they don't even appear to sell ZMA?
NitrogenY3K said:
I have just recieved my protein extreme bedtime formular choclate (advised by nutritional advisor) and it is absolutly disgusting.
Never bought a formula from there for just that reason. Some ingredients can just ruin a whole tub, I'd be gutted to buy kilo's a something nasty tasting. Did you add a sweetener? or just the chocolate flavouring?

I bought some milk protein from there a while ago and flavoured it with chocolate and a sweetener (sucralose, I think)and it was the nicest tasting protein drink I've ever had.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
Fair enough if you only want protein but if you want anything else then why go there?

Also I buy the big 5kg tubs of protein and you're right they are a pain but I've kept a couple of the old REFLEX protein tubs from ages ago, I just top them up ;)

Also they don't even appear to sell ZMA?

Yes they do :)

http://www.sports-nutrition.net/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=14

I only get my protein from there normally as I have a trade account elsewhere!

Soldato
ethos said:
No, it's ZMA. Exactly the same formula as Reflex ZMA2 ;)

ZMA is cheap anyway.
This is the listed ingrdients list:
Zinc - 15mg (100% E.C. RDA)
Magnesium - 450mg (150% E.C. RDA)
Vitamin B6 - 10.5gm (525% E.C. RDA)
Copper - 1.5mg (-% E.C. RDA)

There is no ZMA listed in there is there? Trust me if contained it they would advertise the fact! Just because it contains Zinc, Magnesium and Vit B6 doesn't make it a true ZMA product. I've never seen ZMA sold for that price anywhere, EVER! It's too expensive to sell for that price.

Also you really shouldn't take a supplement with copper, especially not in that amount, 1.5mg is a LOT! We need about 1mg a day and you should easily be getting that from your diet (especially if you drink tap water!) It also competes with Zinc for uptake so are defeating the very point of taking it, they might aswell add 1g of calcium in there while they're at it :D

It's a cheap and poor product, I'd stay away from it.

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
This is the listed ingrdients list:
Zinc - 15mg (100% E.C. RDA)
Magnesium - 450mg (150% E.C. RDA)
Vitamin B6 - 10.5gm (525% E.C. RDA)
Copper - 1.5mg (-% E.C. RDA)

There is no ZMA listed in there is there? Trust me if contained it they would advertise the fact! Just because it contains Zinc, Magnesium and Vit B6 doesn't make it a true ZMA product. I've never seen ZMA sold for that price anywhere, EVER! It's too expensive to sell for that price.

Also you really shouldn't take a supplement with copper, especially not in that amount, 1.5mg is a LOT! We need about 1mg a day and you should easily be getting that from your diet (especially if you drink tap water!) It also competes with Zinc for uptake so are defeating the very point of taking it, they might aswell add 1g of calcium in there while they're at it :D

It's a cheap and poor product, I'd stay away from it.

Erm... when supplementing with zinc, copper can be depleted fairly quickly- hense adding it to a zma a zinc containing supplement?

It does not "compete" with zinc for uptake.

Also what do you mean it doesn't contain "ZMA"? Zma is just a name grouping these ingredients formula with a certain amount of each.

Ie 15-30grams of Zinc, 400-500mg magnesium and normally around 10mg of vitamin b6.

Some ZMA products do contain more zinc sure.. but thats neither here or there. This is ZMA.

Also calcium is KNOWN to interfere with the uptake of ZMA hense the "take on an empty stomach" advisory.

Soldato
FYI :)

ZMA (Zinc monomethionine aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate) is a supplement used by bodybuilders and athletes. It was developed by Victor Conte (founder of BALCO Laboratories in Burlingame, California) and is a combination of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. The formula is "patent pending" and the name "ZMA" trademarked by SNAC System Inc, also founded by Victor Conte. ZMA is claimed to raise testosterone and IGF-1 levels which may aid in gaining muscle size and strength. It is used as a bodybuilding supplement.

ZMA is a combination of two minerals, zinc and magnesium, and Vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine. All three of these compounds are important in biological processes, and while studies have shown that most Americans get enough zinc and Vitamin B6,[1] less than 50% get enough magnesium.[2]

An increase in exercise can lead to losses of vitamins and minerals making it particularly important for bodybuilding due to the blood sugar level rises and urination increases, increasing the loss of magnesium, zinc, B12, B6, folic acid, and many other nutrients. Although water is replaced by drinking, nothing is done to replenish the water-soluble nutrients that are also swept out. [3]

The proportion of ingredients generally used in products is 20-30 mg Zinc, 400-500 mg Magnesium and ~10mg B6. According to the label directions, ZMA should be taken before bed on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating your last meal and at least 30 minutes prior to any other supplements). The product should not be taken with Calcium.

Soldato
ethos said:
Erm... when supplementing with zinc, copper can be depleted fairly quickly- hense adding it to a zma a zinc containing supplement?

It does not "compete" with zinc for uptake.
Just google "zinc competes with copper" for many articles that say otherwise.
ethos said:
Also what do you mean it doesn't contain "ZMA"? Zma is just a name grouping these ingredients formula with a certain amount of each.

Ie 15-30grams of Zinc, 400-500mg magnesium and normally around 10mg of vitamin b6.

Some ZMA products do contain more zinc sure.. but thats neither here or there. This is ZMA.
ZMA is a patented formula so unless its called "ZMA" its not the real thing and the actual formula is not known.

The product you are talking about is not ZMA, no matter how it's dressed up. What you're saying is we could all go out and buy seperate Zinc, Magnesium and Vit B6 supplments and make our own ZMA.... we can't.

We could try and maybe even get the same results but it won't be "ZMA"
ethos said:
Also calcium is KNOWN to interfere with the uptake of ZMA hense the "take on an empty stomach" advisory.
Yes that's why I said it, it would just make it even more of a poor product. Hence the big smilie? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
Just google "zinc competes with copper" for many articles that say otherwise.

ZMA is a patented formula so unless its called "ZMA" its not the real thing and the actual formula is not known.

The product you are talking about is not ZMA, no matter how it's dressed up. What you're saying is we could all go out and buy seperate Zinc, Magnesium and Vit B6 supplments and make our own ZMA.... we can't.

We could try and maybe even get the same results but it won't be "ZMA"

Yes that's why I said it, it would just make it even more of a poor product. Hence the big smilie? :D

Find me an article that states that it will compete at THESE levels? I'm fairly sure that companies have done their research before just adding something to an already well known formula.

Zma as stated in many articlies SIMPLY is the compound of these ingredients...

Zma itself actually just stands for ("Z"inc monomethionine aspartate and "M"agnesium "A"spartate).

I think you're getting confused with the hype that some products are sold with. Go and look at any zma product.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tl/zma.html

Amount per Serving:
Protein: 1 g
Vitamin B6: 7 mg
(from pyridoxine hydrochloride)
Magnesium: 300 mg
(from magnesium aspartate)
Zinc: 20 mg
(from zinc monomethionine and zinc aspartate)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/snac/zma.html

Zinc 30mg 200%
(as monomethionine and aspartate)
Magnesium 450mg 113%
(as aspartate)
Vitamin B6 10.5mg 525%
as pyridoxine hydrochloride)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/un/zma.html

For Men:
Vitamin B6: 10.5 mg
Magnesium: 450 mg
Zinc: 30 mg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/prozma.html

Vitamin B-6: 7mg
(as Pyridoxine HCI)
Magnesium: 300mg
(as Magnesium Aspartate)
Zinc: 20mg
(as Zinc I-Monomethionine, Zinc Aspartate)

See a pattern? The formula is well known, this patent pending rubbish makes no difference. Maybe someone should tell these companies they're not selling proper ZMA..... :D

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:

Yes, we could... and if we had the right measurement of the ingredients it would fall within the "ZMA" patent pending amount ;)

Zma really isn't THAT special!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The proportion of ingredients generally used in products is 20-30 mg Zinc, 400-500 mg Magnesium and ~10mg B6

That's ZMA, all ingredients have to, by law, be listed.

There's nothing else in there, not sure why anyone would think buying the individual components would not be the same :confused:

It's a bit like the protein blend that companies like Met-RX have, it's just a ratio of soy/casein/egg/whey given a fancy name and a trademark to sound unique.

Soldato
ethos said:
Yes, we could... and if we had the right measurement of the ingredients it would fall within the "ZMA" patent pending amount ;)

Zma really isn't THAT special!!!
You can't just stick some similar ingredients into something though and then claim it's the same as something else that has been researched and proven. Hence it being patented.

As I understand it the actual exact formula of ZMA is not known as I said earlier. The owners of myprotein said this when asked about getting a bulk powder in, now I'm inclined to believe that if anyone knows their apples about a supplement... it would be someone who owns their own supplement company. This is the actual quote
Don't forget ZMA is a patented formula so unless its called "ZMA" its not the real thing and the actual formula is not known.
Now as far as I can gather they aren't going to print the exact ingredients, ratio's, etc of a unique patent formula on the bottle are they? They print the ingredients on the can of Coca-cola, do you think you could make your own or will you end up with some form of Rola-Cola? :D
ZMA® is the original zinc-magnesium supplement developed by SNAC Systems, Inc. and the only one validated by published research.

ZMA® was designed to optimize the absorption and availability of zinc and magnesium during peak times of muscle growth and repair. Both zinc l-monomethionine (L-OptiZinc®) and zinc/magnesium aspartate are unique and highly bioavailable forms of these minerals. The zinc l-monomethionine is absorbed in the front part of the small intestine at the mineral "receptor sites," while the zinc/magnesium aspartate is absorbed in the back of the small intestine via an "active transport" mechanism.

In addition, the zinc/magnesium aspartate in ZMA® consists of a unique complex of zinc, magnesium and aspartic acid, which enables the magnesium and zinc to reach the blood stream at the same time so that the desired synergistic effect can be obtained. (Note: Most zinc and magnesium aspartate products are not bound together in a single complex. Many contain insufficient amounts of aspartic acid necessary to fully react with the zinc and magnesium. Some are not reacted at all. These products contain high levels of unbound, poorly absorbed inorganic zinc and magnesium mineral salts, which are ineffective and may cause diarrhea or other undesirable effects.) The addition of vitamin B6 further increases the absorption and utilization of both zinc and magnesium.
Now the reason this all started is you were saying the link you gave allowed you to buy 2x bottles of "ZMA" for £10.99. My point was it's a cheap copy of a real formula and that's why it doesn't have ZMA in the name, hence the price. Surely there must be a reason for not putting it in the name? It also appears to contain different forms of magnesium from the usual ZMA plus it contains copper and no Zinc aspartate.

Looking at other products there appears to be only one thing that stays constant and that's the forms of the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom