Car sale gone sour

Permabanned
how much was the primera worth? Surely you could have driven to the nearest cash point to withdraw the dosh?

Seems a bit of a nut case. Just forget about it and get the car sold. :)

Soldato
If it's a problem for him to give you cash then he doesn't intend on paying for it simple as that. Anyone who gets abusive for any reason, in that situation, is out of order and best avoided.

Soldato
OP
Mr Mister said:
how much was the primera worth? Surely you could have driven to the nearest cash point to withdraw the dosh?

Seems a bit of a nut case. Just forget about it and get the car sold. :)

1K.

His argument is he had to wait a week for the car which is true. We had it in the father in laws workshop for a new exhaust (bit of hassle getting the correct one), new tyre, full service and valet. He said he could have given me the cheque then which I would have accepted. Thing is he made no offer until collection.

Soldato
OP
monkeyspank said:
or he could walk into any branch of his bank with a cheque written for cash and get the cash instantly. what a *****. well done for not lamping him.

I am a bit worried he is gonna come back and get revenge by trashing one of my cars now. Didn't sleep well last night.

Caporegime
unlikely

if he is a conman he'll have moved on to another car and wont be the slightest bit interested in your car

he pretended he was angry as a tactic to get you to release it, but in fact he probably expected it to happen, and will now move on to some other mug who will fall for it and release the car.

Associate
you did the right thing, there's loads of scammers out there. he was probably so mad because he needed it and was having cash flow problems hence the cheque. even when I sold my car for cash I didn't release the keys until it was paid in at the bank :o :D

Associate
When I sold my VTI to a dealer he gave me a draft in the guys name I was buying the ATR off of so I paid the next guy with that and also £500 cash and £500 cheque but I also left him my passport which I collected when the cheque had cleared . Was mainly about trust either way but the car was from a forum we had both been members of for a while .

Associate
I have no clue how people can go to buy a car and expect a cheque to be accepted with open arms........ He can wait until Monday and go to his bank and get the cash out instead, unbelievable that he would lose his temper when he has the problem and not you. 'Flame-proof pants on' but I find cheques to be ***** and I simply haven't used them for years and never ever will again. Maybe it's years of working with a guy who would pay for practically everything by cheque, even flaming McDonalds! He would always do this for the last few days before Pay Day as he never had the cash. Great guy but my god did it wind me up.

To me paying by cheque in our generation = I have no money for the next few days or I am trying to rob you.

Soldato
Third Opinion said:
I am a bit worried he is gonna come back and get revenge by trashing one of my cars now. Didn't sleep well last night.

Nah, don't worry about it. Easy for me to say, I know, but as someone else said above, he'll just move on to the next potential mug. Luckily you didn't fit that bill.

Soldato
OP
Just been out to drop off the loan car I was going to use between selling this one and buying another. Got back and found a note on the mat saying he is coming to pick the car up Tuesday or Wednesday with the cash but he wants £50 of it and a tank of petrol!!!

I cant believe this I have cancelled the car I was going to buy and returned the loan, I cant sell it now it is not convenient. We have tried phoning him to tell him but he is out. I can see this getting nastey now.

Permabanned
Does he come across as being a bit mental or something? He obviously thinks he can bully you into doing what he wants, which is totally out of order. I hope you can get him on the phone soon and he will see sense, but by the sounds of it you might have your work cut out.

Associate
You've done nothing wrong and he is being unreasonable. Call him or leave a message if you can and tell him you can no longer sell the car due to having cancelled your loan due to him messing you about. He has no right to get shirty as he told you hedidn't want the car, and so you had to make alternate arrangements. If you still want to sell the car, don't drop the price or give him the full tank, and say that he's already put you out, and treated you like crap and that your not willing to alter any conditions of the sale.

I'd be tempted just to tell him to stuff it though. If he's been such a PITA, you'd be better off not dealing with him.

Permabanned
^ I agree. If you sell it now, he sounds the sort of person who will come back in future when anything goes wrong with it, even though he'd have no right to.

Soldato
Sounds like a rather crappy con artist to me. Losin' your rag like that is isn't going to win you many stolen cars, not that I can vouch from experience. :D

I don't know what i'd do if I were put in that situation, but i'd probably of told him to calm down, go inside and ring a few mates over. As soon as a group of guys pulled up, i'm sure he'd of been more resonable.

Soldato
What an ideot. Don't worry tho some people are just mad or con artists as has been said. You are in the right. You should never take a personal cheque unless you let it clear.

Back
Top Bottom