Official Final Fantasy 12 Discussion thread

Soldato
The game is released on 23-Feb which of today is 5 days away and i cant wait.
This game is going to be great its already been given excellent review on Gamespot score 9.0
This game i feel though to hardcore fans like me will either love or hate the new combat system which is totally radical and from what i can tell is a bit like a hack and slash but with a lot of depth to it.

Heres some links i thought would be useful and are a good read:

Official site u must watch the trailer on it

check out the forum for all your info

Last edited:
Associate
The battle system is quite nice til you get later in the game and aquire most of the gambits, at that point you can pretty much automate each character and play by just moving the character around with the analogue stick.

Fun game nonetheless and took me ages just to complete the main story line

Soldato
For the people who have played it, is it possible to play by turning off the gambits? Or does it become akward to fight because of the pace of the game?

I don't think I'm really sold on the whole gambit system because I prefer to be in control of the fight, instead of just standing about while the computer decides everything for me.

Associate
Theres not one thing I like about FF12 :( Game basically plays itself.The voice acting at times is horrible, The summons are useless and under powered and the story...?Well i could only stand a hour of FF12 but my brother has played it a lot(About 30hrs)and i ask him what the story is about, He still dosn't no lol :eek:
Imo save your money its not worth the disk its copied on :mad: :(

PS
I've really enjoyed FF from FF7>FFX so I guess you could call me a hardcore fan.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, when it arrives in February, this will be the 25th game in my Final Fantasy collection. I'm really quite excited, though not entirely sure what to expect. I've tried as far as possible to ignore all hype, reviews and everything. I've watched the trailer and that's about it.

AFAIK it's set in Ivalice, the same world as Tactics Advance?

Still, not long to go :D

Soldato
OP
Im very sad to here all this negativity and thats from the ppl who actually played it :( would you say its as bad as ff10-2.

Im still very much looking forward to it and i feel very positive about it from all the stuff ive read about it, i hope im not dissapointed.

Ben

Ben

Associate
Really looking forward to FFXII, shame I don't personally have a PS2 to be able to play it, been playing FFX on my sister's PS2, and about 5 hours in, but it's not really holding my interest that much.

FFXII sounds like it takes away the monotonous "Random Encounter - Attack - Attack - Win - Random Encounter - Attack - Attack - Win - ad infinum" part of previous FF games. I can see why people see this as a bad thing, however by looking at Square-enix's site on it you can turn the Gambits off and use the more traditional way of fighting.

Associate
I think the game is very good, I really enjoyed it from start to finish and loved it. Summons can be useful as long as you know how to use them, and the gambit system works very well for what it is, storyline is very good and very easy to pick up, same kinda save the world thing that FF is always about. Don't know where all this negativity is coming from as everyone I have spoken to loved it and reviews are consistently high for the game.

Soldato
I think the game is excellent, one of the best I've played so far. The battlesystem takes getting used to, but its quite fun. I prefer it over the old ones because I just hated having to fight creatures randomly. Now I can just try to evade them if I can ;)

One thing about it that is not nice, is that my physical attacks are more powerful than my magicks. My friend also has pointed this out. I've hardly ever had to use any of my magicks..

The story is abit confusing, to be honest I don't understand it either! Graphics are brilliant too. Currently got about 21hours in or so, just outside the forest...forgot its name.

Haven't played it in about 2 months though. Lots of coursework etc, but hope to resume in a few weeks.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
5ingh said:
I think the game is excellent, one of the best I've played so far. The battlesystem takes getting used to, but its quite fun. I prefer it over the old ones because I just hated having to fight creatures randomly. Now I can just try to evade them if I can ;)

No more random fights, i just might pick this up now :D

Never like the old final fantasy's i just found the combat system SO boring, what’s the new one like???

I much prefer the tales battle system because you controlled you character in real time.

Soldato
Had this on pre-order from last May. I've yet to be disappointed by a Final Fantasy game so hopefully this won't either regardless of the changes they've made.

Associate
Although there are no random encounters if you think you can get through the game picking what to kill and not to kill, then its going to be quite difficult. The game is very much money (gils) driven and the only way to get money to buy armours and weapons in this game is to grind on mobs like you would do in a MMO for loot to sell (monsters rarely drop gils in this game).

Also the high end weapons can only be unlocked if you sell certain common/rare loot combo from dead monsters to the shop, which again is fustrating to get. This is one of the part of the game I dont like as it pretty much mimics your average MMO grindfest and the fact the game kinda force you to grind on the same type of monsters with the use of the new chain kill system really gets to me.

Associate
mcc49 said:
Also the high end weapons can only be unlocked if you sell certain common/rare loot combo from dead monsters to the shop, which again is fustrating to get. This is one of the part of the game I dont like as it pretty much mimics your average MMO grindfest and the fact the game kinda force you to grind on the same type of monsters with the use of the new chain kill system really gets to me.

This was largely true in most of the recent FF's anyway. Anyone remember grinding Malboros and Wendigos in FFVIII for Doomtrain, and the rest for remodelling? Or the Monster Arena for Dark Matters/experience in FFX?

If you want to go for the rare 'ultimate' abilities and weapons,or max stats, you're always going to have to grind in the Final Fantasy series. I'm playing V at the moment and before every single boss I'm finding I have to just grind to gain at least 3 levels before I can defeat the bosses. Whilst this isn't true of some in the series (VI standing out as a prime example), it is, whilst not so much a feature, an attribute of the game. You either like it, or you don't!

Soldato
I've played this for about 90hours myself and have done just about everything except for some pointless things that would serve me no purpose. All I can say is that your either going to love this game or hate it. I myself did enjoy the gameplay, but I was severely disappointed with the story (although there was a positive to it, no cheesy love interest!!).

The reason I didn't enjoy the story is probably because I found myself doing nothing but dungeon crawling until I got to the next part of the story. The game was fun to play through once, but I cannot find myself playing through it for a second time.

I myself have found every Final Fantasy to disapoint more and more after VII (probably due to the fact its next to impossible to live up to). Final Fantasy 4 through 7 I thought were brilliant and Final Fantasy 8-12 I also enjoyed but they were nothing compared to VII.

Just to say all the above is my own opinion before someone comes along and bites my head off (which usually happens :p)

Associate
I'm still a bit bemused by the whole VII thing y'know....

VII was the first, like most westerners, Final Fantasy that I'd played, and it hooked me to the series. However, I certainly wouldn't say it was the best. That said, I'd be hard pushed to say which one *was* the best....

Maybe I need to replay VII (again)...

Soldato
Apopcalyptic said:
I'm still a bit bemused by the whole VII thing y'know....

VII was the first, like most westerners, Final Fantasy that I'd played, and it hooked me to the series. However, I certainly wouldn't say it was the best. That said, I'd be hard pushed to say which one *was* the best....

Maybe I need to replay VII (again)...

I don't think VII is the best its tied between 6 & 7 for me. I just said 7 because it was the last Final fantasy that I throughly enjoyed and made me want to go back and play it (currently played it between 20-25 times, I lost count :()

I like FFVII because it has so many customisation options (meteria wise), lots of side quests/mini-games, the characters are all unique and are all useful in some way and its actually a challenge when you first played it.

And I loved FFVI since it had so many characters that were all unique and played some kind of role in the story (which I loved).

I thought FFX was only a success due to the true 3D graphics and the newly added voice acting (which was atrotious IMO). The story was predictable and the characters did nothing but annoy the hell out of me (except Auron he rocked!) and to top it all off there was some cheesy love triangle which included 3 of the most annoying characters in the game.

When Hironobu Sakaguchi (worked on FF 4,5,6,7,8,9 + 10) left the team after FFX I lost all hope for the series since every attempt at a Final Fantasy without him has just disappointed me so far(FFX-2 and FF12) I gave the both a chance and played them to the end, but they just failed to grip me because of that I doubt I will even give XIII a go.

Although I am looking forward to Blue Dragon due to the co-operation of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Akira Toriyama (creator of DBZ), Nobuo Uematsu (FF music composer) and I am/was a huge fan of their works so its only normal I should look forward to it.

Totally off topic I know, but there are never any decent FF discussion threads and again its all my own opinion which isn't the be all and end all.

Back
Top Bottom