Whats the Story. Little Change in Almost 30 Years of Home Console Gaming

Soldato
Its funny how since consoles like the Atari which arrived in approx 1979 up untill todays newest consoles havnt really changed that much in gaming terms.

Yes visually, and in audio their has been major technical advances as too in controllers. Online play for some is also a major feature but games in general as they begin to mimic more and more like movies for their realisim why I ask hasnt games in a single player or story mode not moved on.

Poor Storylines / Even Worse Characters
In todays world we have fantastic novels, movies and even tv drama series that can offer gripping storylines or fascinating characters.

Yet in games why are things so typically poor with shallow or unineresting stories with characters that in most games we typically dont care about nor feel make much difference to the enjoyment of a game. How many here have beat their controller buttons to try and skip FMV or story scenes in games, and done this in most games that have it?

Enjoyable Interesting Characters
We could all say we watch tv programmes mainly because we like or enjoy the people that are in them. What im getting at is why and this is an idea ive had for a while, why cant a game be like a tv show....

With todays online capabilities why cant a game offer weekly episodic content? Of course the story/game idea has to be of a good one but then you could ask why something like "Star Wars" or any popular "game" series doesnt take this approach and create a new style of gameplay. Why cant we have a game that we buy but then the game always evolves in its story.

No I dont mean Eastenders
Gameplay that takes a game and offers episodic content like sub missions and something that can concentrate on particular characters or storylines. All adding to a scripted fascinating story that continues to develop.
Why cant games get to the point of offering exciting drama and characters like just about every tv drama going uses in the way of cliffhangers.

Same ole thing
Does gaming always have to rely on single player missions, even co-op based and keep multiplayer / deathmatch or Vs games as online entertainment.
Surely the industry can evolve the nature of what a game represents how it plays and gets beyond the typical 4-12 hr finishing gameplay weve endured for almost 3 generations.

Not just RPG based
I dont see why such a game has to be in the style of a typical RPG exploring world neither. Why cant a racing game have such a storyline, or WWII shooter or SCI-FI blaster?

The secret is how do you make actual story parts interesting and not interrupt or take away from the gameplay elements? Action movies dont have to have long boring sequences so why do games? It may not be possible but why hasnt anyone yet even tried something like this yet?

HL2 is maybe the closest thing to it but their is far too long between each episodic release.. Why cant we have 1-2 hour gameplay thats short but interesting even released every month and pay £2-£3 for it for a continued storyline and gaming in a franchise we love?

Last edited:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Mr Latte said:
Excluding something like an RPG which ones would you care to mention?

Dead Rising, Tomb Raider series Hitman are just 3 games that spring to mine in recent years that offer brilliant storylines and immersive characters/environments.

Associate
I couldn't care less about storylines.

Something like Need For Speed Most Wanted is just annoying with all the crappy cut scenes and "attitude". What's all that rubbish got to do with a driving game?

Read a book if you want stories, I think.

Soldato
I played half way through the 24 game until I had to give the PS2 back to a mate, and that had as good a story as the tv show.

Infact, I want another 24 game, but with good gameplay aswell and on the 360 would be nice.

Man of Honour
TomWilko said:
Dead Rising, Tomb Raider series Hitman are just 3 games that spring to mine in recent years that offer brilliant storylines and immersive characters/environments.
Dead Rising you could almost count as an RPG, as it has levelling etc :p

It's very difficult to make a story work well in a game like an FPS or even a racing game, as with those kinds of games, the player is either running around or driving around trying to concentrate on shooting / driving. These types of games can add great atmosphere if done correctly, but a lot of people playing FPS style games are not going to want to stand around waiting for some people to finish talking or a video to be played.

With RPGs, it's not just about going around and shooting everything that moves, people playing these games have more time on their hands to just walk around, exploring and talking to people getting more and more into the feel of the story and setting. That's why I don't ever see FPS games going so far in the Story side of the game, as to be honest, FPS games are a lot more dumbed down and there for quick bits of linear entertainment. An RPG you will feel a lot more in control and have control over what you are doing, instead of following a linear path that you do in 99% of FPS games.

FreeSpace 2 is a great game I thought had a great story and atmosphere. Also Mafia and Jedi Knight.

Soldato
I think it is possible to tell a good story in an FPS game. It's just that traditional methods aren't the best suited to it. You have to tell a story in a different way. I think Half-life 2 did it very well.

I also think Dirge of Cerberus (which is basically an FPS except 3rd person) had a very good story, although it was done in the traditional cut-scene format.

Also the Metal Gear Solid series is a good example of a good story in an action game.

Soldato
No expert, but rose tinted glasses me thinks.

Stories in todays games and even those a few years back have excelled what first came out many a year ago when I was a wee lad ;)

If we are talking single player storyline, perhaps you would like to give us a few examples of the games of yesteryear that you feel have not been bettered in a way that advances the gaming experience we have today.

Mick

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
FlyingFish said:
If we are talking single player storyline, perhaps you would like to give us a few examples of the games of yesteryear that you feel have not been bettered in a way that advances the gaming experience we have today.

Mick

Day of the tentacle.

Edit: Dang, thought this was in PC gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some games etc have had good storylines, i think what people have been missing and the way i perhaps put it across wasnt that clear is that once you complete a game thats it, the story ends and usually a sequel game that arrives in 1 or 2 years isnt maybe always a direct sequel with the same characters or story.

Redefining How A Game Is
The technology is in place now for pretty much having a game where a story is created no different to how a script is developed and people in tv/film production operate.

To continually have a game on a regular basis updated with episodic content. The general storyline is adapted to run across a few months simular to how certain characters in a TV drama are the main focus over the period of a few weeks air time. The conclusion to their circumstances may take several episodes before we know the outcome and this is usually done in a cliiffhanger episode.

Why not have episodic content allow a storyline adapt to say 10 hours of episodic content perhaps released over the period of a month. The developers create the same sort of anticipation where your dying to see the next episode or in this case play it but the essence is the same in creating a cliffhanger scanario...

Episodic Content The Future?
The problem with todays games are that being on a disc once youve completed what the disc offers, this typically means the game is finished. Its this that hasnt changed in almost 30 years.
Apart from online multiplayer and new maps etc why is episodic content not available to expand the actual single player experience, why cant i buy a game on a disc play it, finish the singleplayer game but then have further entertainment in the sign of new missions, additional weapons/cars appearing over the next few months. Creativity could be unlimited as long as the games design and engine was made or adaptable for such things.

The Content
Episodic content doesnt have to be story based or relate to only story style based games. The winning ticket is to attract continued support to that game, entertain the gamers on a regular basis within the world or theme of the game and of course for the studios to make a fortune off it. Of course this requires continued development and huge resources but again this is no different to TV. If the content was worth buying or the story is engrossing enough then surely the demand for it would continue?
Developers cover costs by using in game advertising which can be done in GTA style like radio commercials as you enter a building/car etc to bill boards or videos within the game levels. It could even be adverts that appear during loading of levels like commerical breaks...

Take your favourite franchise be it MGS, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell or imagine a Bond Style game with evolving story that lasts upto 6 months of monthly downloads why hasnt anyone yet tackled it yet and is it likely to happen?

Stories , characters that evolve is it possible?

Last edited:
Soldato
Mr Latte said:
Excluding something like an RPG which ones would you care to mention?

GTA Vice City & San Andreas? Also playing Resident Evil 4 was an amazing experience. It engrossed me far, far more than any lame TV program even though the story taken just by itself was a bit predictable.

Soldato
magick said:
GTA Vice City & San Andreas? Also playing Resident Evil 4 was an amazing experience. It engrossed me far, far more than any lame TV program even though the story taken just by itself was a bit predictable.
Don't get me wrong, I love all the GTA games, but the story was pretty lame and just there to string the missions together really!

The Half-Life series definately has the best story of all the games I have played so far andI must admit I'm eagerly awaiting episode 2 and beyond... I can't wait to get to kick mr suited breifcase guys ass!!! ;)

Soldato
OP
Generally speaking dont some of you think it could be a way forward for gaming?

Episodic Content has already been successfull with PGR3 "car packs" and even their online competitions but i cant think of many games that improve the single player game or experience.

Games have to move beyond the linear experience that just comes with the actual original purchase. Studios should take a leaf out of Nintendos book and think of new interesting content or ministyle games that enchance gameplay in small additional downloads.

We could debate on how is Virtua Fighter 5 going to be much different in play mechanics over the Original from many years ago. The same could be said for many game sequels, gameplay just hasnt been that innoavative. However with online capabilities or as Half Life 2 has showed even episodic content on further discs is possible and profitable.

Lets face it waiting 18 months or upto 2 years for a new version of your fave games to appear is a bit annoying.

Soldato
OP
As for stories i still dont think many if any games at all have a story that make you go OMG. I mean this in the same sense in which some films can completely shock us or catch us out "sixth sense" or a horror based game that well actually is scary...

Back
Top Bottom