OcUK on Engadget for selling Vista early

Associate
NathanE said:
There is no embargo :) Vista has been in public hands (legally) since November!

I’m not a big follower of this whole vista thing, but that’s to the MSDN (or something) subscribers though isn’t it? For the general public to purchase it’s the end of this month, right? And if there were no embargo surely the other retailers would at least promote if not sell the product already, why let overclockers get a head start? Or is it just a case of he who gets it in stock first, sells it first?

Soldato
solitude said:
I’m not a big follower of this whole vista thing, but that’s to the MSDN (or something) subscribers though isn’t it? For the general public to purchase it’s the end of this month, right? And if there were no embargo surely the other retailers would at least promote if not sell the product already, why let overclockers get a head start? Or is it just a case of he who gets it in stock first, sells it first?
MSDN yes. But anyone can sign up to MSDN... it just costs quite a bit.

OcUK probably got it first because they asked their distributor for it first. Also don't forget a lot of the other shops are just run by businessmen who don't really know a computer from the On button to the Start menu... They've probably never heard of Vista and hence won't stock it until their distributor asks why they aren't buying it.

Soldato
Hasn't Vista been sold in new systems (Dell for example) for a couple of weeks now?

This will be OEM software too, and since OcUK are only selling OEM packages are they not selling software that has already been released?

The upgrade/over the counter stuff is obviously differant hence why they are still pre-order.

Permabanned
Well my understanding is that the reason OEM copies are able to be activated are due to the release of the of Windows Vista for systems builders such as Dell and HP etc.

As far as i understand the only people who should have copies of Vista are people who have purchased a PC form the likes of Dell and HP with it pre installed and also companies who have a volume license agreement with Microsoft.

Windows Vista is not released until 31st January for general public retail channels etc.

Godfather
Godfather
Slinwagh said:
Well my understanding is that the reason OEM copies are able to be activated are due to the release of the of Windows Vista for systems builders such as Dell and HP etc.

As far as i understand the only people who should have copies of Vista are people who have purchased a PC form the likes of Dell and HP with it pre installed and also companies who have a volume license agreement with Microsoft.

Windows Vista is not released until 31st January for general public retail channels etc.
I have spoken to MS at length regarding our release date. They accepted that there was nothing they could do to prevent us as we had signed no agreement.

Soldato
Spie said:
I have spoken to MS at length regarding our release date. They accepted that there was nothing they could do to prevent us as we had signed no agreement.

No rules broken
Mucho profit made
Freed publicity?

Oh how do you sleep at night

:p

Soldato
Spie said:

Simpsons said:
Bill Gates: I've come to buy HyperGlobalMegaNet

Homer: Finally, all the hard work pays off

Bill Gates: Well boys... 'buy him out'

*various breakages*

Bill Gates: I didn't get rich by writing cheques Mr Simpson

*heavily paraphrased*

Soldato
If OCUK are breaking some embargo on selling Vista early then so are others. The software supplier we use at work also has copies of Vista OEM in stock ready for immediate shipment. In fact I ordered a Vista Business today to evaluate and it'll be delivered tomorrow..this has been confimed by our account manager.

Andy

Soldato
Spie said:
Haha so it's not so much permission to sell early, just that there's nothing they can do to stop you.

I know the games industry cracks down on shops selling games before the official release date, I guess the same isn't true for other software.

Associate
scratch said:
If OCUK are breaking some embargo on selling Vista early then so are others. The software supplier we use at work also has copies of Vista OEM in stock ready for immediate shipment. In fact I ordered a Vista Business today to evaluate and it'll be delivered tomorrow..this has been confimed by our account manager.

Andy

Yes, it's been available for a while from front-line MS distributors, and there's no problem with it being sold on as far as date is concerned.

If my memory serves me correctly MS have always had a staggered release, with the OEM products arriving quite a while before the RETAIL versions.

OcUK Staff
HI there

It was just a case of been pro-active, get all the stock in now and ship early. By ourselves been one of the only UK suppliers to have Ultimate and Premium 1PK versions in stock orderable online gives OcUK the upper-hand.

We pride ourselves on always been first and this time is no different. :)

Associate
I would imagine this has put a big splinter in the finger of MS UK office, because in my experience, they're pretty anal about things like unified release dates and such. Fair play to the OcUK guys for sticking it in there, nice to see that some things don't change :)

Back
Top Bottom