• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well if it was gona happen. It was gona happen to me.

Mul

Mul

Associate
Sorry if I missed it, but have you tried sticking your memory on a lower ratio to the FSB?

Say, running it 1:1 with the CPU just to make sure it isn't the memory holding you back? Your memory is rated at DDR2-800 and that'd mean you could get up to 3.6GHz (400*9) without the memory becoming an issue.

Mul

Soldato
Cartho's Sig said:
Pentium 4 630 3.00 GHz (with Hyper Threading) | 1GB Dual Channel
DDR2 RAM @533MHz | 256MB Nvidia Geforce 6800 @ 400/1136 |
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS | CoolerMaster RealPower 550 PSU
Yes, It is a Dell, yes they are annoying, yes I hate them, but I am
learning to live with their incompetance
Firstly, I suggest you reduce your sig to 4 lines as per the rules of the forums.

Cartho said:
Some of us can't have a Core 2, and haven't got the money for a full MTB upgrade.
Just be thankful mate!
An E6600 @ 2.8 GHz would still wipe the floor with an FX62 - any more clockspeed is just for boasting rights
Secondly, some people are better off than others & some people are not! thats life, you going to have a dig at someone who overclocks their CPU to 4ghz?

Thirdly, an E6600 @ 2.8ghz is nice but future wise dont you think a cpu hitting 3.6ghz is more future proof in terms of gaming? I know I would be ****** off if my cpu woudnt hit the average overclock.

Mul

Mul

Associate
I know someone who couldn't get much more than 950mhz out of his Geil PC2-6400 C4 set. I reckon it's worth sticking the memory on a lower ratio and see if it remedies the issue.

Mul

Soldato
Street said:
You could always stick it on Ebay, should be able to get back pretty much what you paid for it.. Then just buy a new one and hope it clocks better. :)
Agreed, just sell it & buy a new one from OcUK or whatever. . . .

Associate
OP
Yeah think I might.

I was just trying to get a definitive answer to what could be the problem. Because knowing my luck I’d sell a perfectly good processor and it would be the ram that was dodgy

Man of Honour
wolvotim said:
Yeah think I might.

I was just trying to get a definitive answer to what could be the problem. Because knowing my luck I’d sell a perfectly good processor and it would be the ram that was dodgy

can't just just drop the RAM speed right down and slacken the timings right off. At least that would eliminate it as the cause of the problem?

Associate
OP
Hades said:
can't just just drop the RAM speed right down and slacken the timings right off. At least that would eliminate it as the cause of the problem?

I’ve tried 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15 and 5-5-5-18 none of which seem to make much difference.

I had it set to 8x350 (2.8ghz) and it runs fine. Set it to 9x350 (3.15ghz) and it becomes orthos unstable. Now as far as the ram is concerned it isn’t running any faster there is it?? So I’m thinking it must be the CPU.

Its also orthos stable at 9x312 which also happens to be 2.8ghz so I’m thinking that’s where my CPU hits its wall.

Associate
If you can take the RAM out of the equation by using 1:1, then that will focus matters on your CPU/NB.

Ideally, overclocks should be done by finding the max for the individual components, then coming to a compromise close to the max speeds of each. OCing more than one component at a time makes life a lot more complicated, and a lot harder to error test.

Associate
OP
simonnance said:
If you can take the RAM out of the equation by using 1:1, then that will focus matters on your CPU/NB.

Ideally, overclocks should be done by finding the max for the individual components, then coming to a compromise close to the max speeds of each. OCing more than one component at a time makes life a lot more complicated, and a lot harder to error test.

the ram is running at 1:1 mate. so it is looking more like a CPU prob

screen.JPG

Soldato
I would start at the beginning. Set CPU and RAM speed to a lot less than the motherboard clock; i.e. use a low cpu multiplier (Im assuming its possible), and run the ram at 2:1 (or 1:2 which ever makes it slower).

Test the mobo with all your tests, up to 400fsb which should be plenty. Then add in the CPU speed by upping the multiplier. However do this slowly to find slow speeds which actually are stable.

Then assuming all is stable, increase the ram speed. Now that we are testing ram it might be an idea to use memtest.

Im not sure of the bios options on the DS4 but try to increase RAM speed without using exactly 1:1.

Trying to isolate components when overclocking is absolutely critical. In fact any overclocking guide would tell u this.

If you still cant find instability until you have everything up to full speed, then it could be time to try a new PSU.

I have the enermax liberty 500w, I upgraded to it from a enermax 550w; simply because I wanted to have a single 120mm fan that the noise taker series doesnt have. The 550w was for a long time unsurpassed in power delivery Id hope that the 500w can cope with a modern graphics card and CPU.

I have an opteron 146 @ 2.7Ghz and a x1900xt and the rails are absolutely solid as checked with a digital multimeter.

Just checked ** bios screen, its not showing anything particularly important; better to show RAM timings & CPU voltage/ speed settings. 1 thing to note though is that from what Ive read the e4300 has virtualisation tech disabled on chip whereas the e6600 will have it; so u should possibly enable this in bios .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom