• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problems fitting new cooler - pics inside. Please help!

Soldato
Problems fitting new ATI cooler - pics inside. Please help!

Hi guys,

Right, I'm trying to fit this cooler to my old Hercules 3D Prophet ATI 9800 Pro 128MB card. I'm unsure whether I need to remove the heatsink (pictured) on the bottom of the card, I have removed the cooler that wass on the card on the front side. Do I need to remove this:

9800hs.jpg

9800hs_side.jpg

The screws in the screw holes (circled) will not come through because of this heatsink. I'm worried though if I pull of the heatsink it will damage something. Will it just be paste holding it on?

Please any suggestions...

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, you need to remove it or the new cooler won't sit correctly - I added the same cooler a while ago on that gfx card.

As mentioned above you need to twist it to get it to come off. The thermal paste used will be old and hard, so you can help by heating the card up first...either put the original fan back on and put it back in your pc and run something for a while...or you can try using a hair dryer :p

I was suprised by how much force it took to get this thing off...but it did come off in the end with a good twist...Be careful though as it will suddenly come off...

New cooler works great (gave the PC to my mam and dad...new one for me :D )

Hope all goes well ;)

Last edited:
Associate
when I did it I used a hairdryer and it did work, but I had to heat it to the point where I couldnt actually touch the heatsink with my bare hands and had to use tissue paper to twist it.

It worked but I was paranoid about the heat and force required.

Soldato
OP
This is ridiculous man, I heated it up like you said and my hands are almost bleeding im twisting it that hard... won't even move a bit! :( :mad:

Soldato
OP
I'm going to try and mod the bit of metal that came with the cooler and see if I can get the screws through. Pain in the neck this heatsink, on the instructions there isn't mentioned or pictured any heatsink this must be on the model I have.

Theres no other way I can try and get this heatsink off is there?

Soldato
OP
Sorted!! I modded the bracket (shoved it in the vice and bent it!) so that the screws could fit instead of taking off that blasted heatsink!

silencer_modded.jpg

Soldato
Lol at the Zalman chipset cooler, i remember having one of them on my old mobo and having about 0.1mm clearence either side if it :eek: :) Nice bit of kit if/when it fits. :cool:

Soldato
OP
This build is my old system that I'm sprucing up for my girlfriend. That Zalman is really good, was a bit fiddly fitting it like you say but is an excellent replacement for a duff old northbridge fan. Silent, and nice cool temps! :)

That silencer I just fitted for the ATI card, almost didn't fit in my case - touches the IDE cables coming straight out the ports! lol :D

Associate
Well as long as there is good contact with the gpu looks like job's a goodun :D

Have you started it up yet to make sure everything is ok?

Soldato
OP
Hi,

I haven't booted into windows yet on it but I have hooked it up with PSU power lead to the mains and checked that the fan gets power and spins etc. All seems to be working fine, super quiet too! Must admit though its considerably heavier the graphics card now the silencer is attached!

Soldato
OP
Thanks! :)

I think its everyone's nightmare buying something like a cooler and it doesn't fit. I was desperate to fit it though so I just did anything I could to get it fitted without damage. Plus I have the added bonus of another heatsink on the card (pictured) ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom