ABIT IN9 32X-MAX - 680i SLI Intel

Associate
Right guys, ive been playing around a little more with the memory. I cant get 1T on this Cellshock atm, unless i run it synced mode. (i.e. 1:1 @ 533mhz DDR) then its fine. Even if I drop the memory down to around 700mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.3v it wont do it.
The memory is Cellshock C5. I havnt ripped the heat spreaders offyet (lame starshaped screw heads) so im not sure on IC's but im guessingg D9GMH.
However, im pretty sure they should run 1T at some of the settings ive been trying. Has anyone else been experiencing 1T issues?

Associate
Flanno said:
I am running Cellshock C4 and it manages 1T 4,4,4,12 at 860mhz.
Should I be running that instead of 2T,4,4,4,12 at 1000mhz ?

This is exactly what Ive been wondering about. Ive got my C5 to 800mhz 4-4-4-15 now so far, but as soon as I approach 900mhz at 1T i get BSOD at desktop. Just wondering if rated timings are rated for 2T or 1T, or if its a mobo issue.

Associate
M1keMK said:
This is exactly what Ive been wondering about. Ive got my C5 to 800mhz 4-4-4-15 now so far, but as soon as I approach 900mhz at 1T i get BSOD at desktop. Just wondering if rated timings are rated for 2T or 1T, or if its a mobo issue.

Those rated timings are not for 1t . 1T only came in to action for ddr2 with 680i. So they are for the default of 2t. Even with 680i if you want 1T you have to stay way below 900mhz. I would think 850mhz is about right. To go higher you would need crazy voltage. At a guess to get 1000mhz 1T you would need about 2.7-2.9volts. The board nor the ram will be very happy there. Nobody has managed to get 1T at 1000-mhz, including the Kingpin ( 24k orb) .

If you your goal is maximum cpu speed, then stick with 850mhz 1T. If you want maximum memory bandwidth then 1110mhz and above at c4 (2T) will start beating 850mhz(C3) at 1T, but you will sacrifice maximum cpu speed to do that. At 1200mhz (c4 or c5 here)you will be way ahead of the 850mhz 1T. I think the core2duo prefers higher speeds than tighter timings, but thats not to say that 1T doesn't do anything, it most certainly does. :p

By the way to get the maximum memory overclock on 680i boards you would need to do this...

1. Set sli ready memory, let it select your epp settings which I assume is 1000mhz , 5-5-5-15

2. Now goto the place where you set your fsb etc. Goto sli overclock, and set it to expert. Now you can play with the fsb and memory with a better starting point, and better optimizations.

3.The board will default unlinked when you do this, but you can change if you want, but I keep it at unlinked.

4.Now I simply choose my memory speed, and fsb directly, making sure that I choose a common ratio as even though it's unlinked it really is just crazy dividers. So do something like 1066mhz fsb and 1066hz memory (4-4-4-12) with 2.4v, or 1600mhz fsb and 1066mhz memory. May have to play with this to get the sweet spot. Your board is unoptimized at the moment with it.s release bios, so it's more than likely you will have similar problems to what evga had with the intial bios, so that means no go areas with fsb, stuck memory speed etc. Sometimes you will find that say you get unstable at 333mhz fsb but 350mhz is fine. :)

5.Now reboot, and do your stress testing. Works every time. ;)

PS> Have you done sli yet? I am curios if your board gets that sli sound issue that everyone had with initial 680i. Play some FEAR or Oblivion to test this.

FLANNO: If you can get to 1080mhz or so with 4-4-4-12 2T (needs 2.4v) then yes , it would be faster by a bit. From there the more speed you add the the larger the delta becomes , providing you can stay at c4. With C5 you would need a lot more speed, say about 1200mhz to really smash 850mhz 1T, This is why most folks prefer 850mhz 1T ,as it's easier to manage on a 680i board. Use super Pi to test ho much faster it is (or not)or the equivalnet.

Last edited:
Soldato
TonyM16 said:
If you your goal is maximum cpu speed, then stick with 850mhz 1T. If you want maximum memory bandwidth then 1110mhz and above at c4 (2T) will start beating 850mhz(C3) at 1T, but you will sacrifice maximum cpu speed to do that. At 1200mhz (c4 or c5 here)you will be way ahead of the 850mhz 1T. I think the core2duo prefers higher speeds than tighter timings, but thats not to say that 1T doesn't do anything, it most certainly does. :p

Good guess on the 850MHz - OC_A64 has been testing this out with Crucial Anniversaries in the 650i thread and he's topping out 1T at between 850 and 900. The difference in superPi 32M places was timed at about 30 seconds between the two runs (about 3% improvement or an extra 100MHz on the CPU speed) so it's not massive, but its worthwhile doing, as you say.

Associate
Very interesting Tony, I was coming to similar conclusions myself. Im just starting to overclock my X6800 now (I know what its capable of from my P5W, which helps) and memory responds very differently on this board. Looks like my mem is topping out around where u would expect it to at least.

As for sound issues, i really havnt played that many games yet, however, Company of Heros has no sound issues, and I have tested oblivion to see what performance im getting and it seems fine, although I only played for 10-15mins ish. Looks promising though. :)

Associate
Some info for a convict

Hi was hoping to have this board by now but still not for sale in Australia. I got only a 550 w generic psu will that be ok? Only planning on running 1 8800 gts untill I can afford 2nd and will upgarde psu then

Soldato
gsx1100g_1991 said:
Hi was hoping to have this board by now but still not for sale in Australia. I got only a 550 w generic psu will that be ok? Only planning on running 1 8800 gts untill I can afford 2nd and will upgarde psu then

NO!

That will not do!

If you invest money in hardware, you must invest in a decent powersupply at the same time, or you will end up with a formula 1 car without cooling style problem; its only a matter of time before everything goes horribly wrong and dies.

Soldato
indeed, bad bad boy! buy the PSU before you're 8800, or that second one you buy could end up sat in ** computer by itself, due to its older brother being burned alive, along with ** motherboard.

Soldato
OP
Well this board is a flop considering the price, has anyone actually got a decent clock out of this board i.e 9x400mhz = 3.6ghz out of a E6600 for example? People may say the Bios isnt mature but for £252 you would expect this board to easily hit 9x500mhz = 4ghz with decent cooling etc straight out the box, the reference 680i boards seem to do a lot better.

I got rid & ate my own words & bought another Asus board, P5N-Sli £80 1/3 of the cost & a far superior board - I will never ever buy a board over £150 because from this effort its a joke. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a few months the bios may improve things but at this moment in time it looks very bleak - I really did have high hopes for this board, looks like Abit isnt making a massive come back afterall.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, but I love this board! Did you have any issues with yours? or is it just the fact you can't clock past 3.6GHz?

Is it possible that you are being limited by the CPU itself and not the mobo? I'm guessing the CPU will stop working above a certain clock, and individual processors will determine what milage you get with it.

OK, so I'm not overclocking mine as far as you, but I reason this way - I paid £200 for a processor that I have running faster than a standard-clocked £600 processor. I saved myself £400. Yes, I could push it further, but I really am happy with my meager 25% overclock :)

The uGuru section in the BIOS wins for me! It's sooo easy for someone like myself, without great overclocking knowledge, to overclock theis board! It's great! And above all, it's been 100% stable from the first power-on :D

I think calling the board a 'flop' might be going a bit too far ;)

Back
Top Bottom