Do you still buy DVDs?

Soldato
Over the last couple of months I have stopped buying DVDs pretty much.

I am abit of a collector and have built up quite a collection of films and TV on dvd but now im just not buying anymore.

Ok I've got sky now but I don't have the film channels, even when I see stuff on offer at a good price I don't buy it.

Half my mind is telling my everything I buy I'll regret because it will be out on HD-DVD or Blu-ray soon. The other half is telling me as most of the TV i'd buy is on sky I can just watch it when its repeated.

Any one else holding back on things pending a HD switch? I don't know why I'm doing it cause I cant even get my hands on a HD-DVD drive for my 360 and dont want to spend Blu-ray money untill i know its deffo taken off.

Soldato
I stopped buying dvds ages ago.

Went a bit mad buying them when I got my first player in 99, ended up with over well 100 dvds, most of which I would never watch after the first time.

I sold most of them and now I either rent or buy if it's a classic.

Man of Honour
I still buy DVDs and likely will for quite a long time to come, I just use my PC for them though since I don't have a TV (or at least not one worth watching them on) and I'm not about to buy Blu-ray or whatever in the immediate future so I'll just enjoy the DVDs I have now and get whatever new ones I want. :)

Associate
When dvds first came out, I bought loads of them, over the years I must have collected about 300 in total. A few years back I got fed up with buying special dvd boxsets for a new one to be released a few months later, it still happens now, like the new Gladiator boxset. And I'm sure there will be an even better one this year too. I've now sold most of them and the ones I do still own are my favourite films.

Soldato
I still buy DVDs but not so many as I used to. I get a few every month now whereas it used to be a few every week. I've got well over 400 now though so perhaps part of the reason I've slowed down is that I've got most of the films I want.

Soldato
Don't buy DVDs at all now. Haven't got a huge collection, but out of those I do have I've only ever watched one more than once (Band of Brothers), the rest just sit there collecting dust.

Soldato
Until the industry open an online renting service offering HD video I'm going to continue using newsgroups.

Having said that I have bought a lot of DVDs lately, City Of God & Dead Man's Shoes this week :D

Soldato
Still buy the odd classic film, bought Battle of the bulge and The longest Day the other day. Generally though i have pretty much stopped buying films and only really buy series, as frankly most of them are better written by a long way over anything hollywood can put out film wise.

Soldato
I haven't bought many recently mainly since I never pay over £8 for a DVD and have already bought most of the cheap ones I wanted (have close to 300 DVD's now). Just waiting for the next crop of releases to go cheap, xmen 3, tokyo drift, superman returns, nacho libre, beerfest, snakes on a plane etc etc

Soldato
I rarely buy new releases, only on big films. I will however quite often splurge on these "5 for 20" kinda deals and buy a load of older films ive always wanted to see/remember being great but not buying at the time.

EG last week i bought fargo/very bad things/butterfly effect. Three of my favourite films that for some reason i just did not own! The most recent film i bought on release was V For Vendetta because it was damn good.

Associate
I've got a list of DVD's I wanna buy, quite a few of them and I reckon after they're bought, I'll probably stop and switch to HD DVD or something.

Permabanned
i just wait for them to cost £5

the main problem at the moment is the severe lack of decent DVDs on offer, it's been ages since a decent film came out that was worth buying

Soldato
I just buy box set stuff nowadays, I used to buy anything and everything, making my local Music Zone a tidy sum each month I think :o

I restrict myself to Scrubs and Family Guy dvds, last thing I bought was the LOTR box set. Haven't intended on buying regular dvds for a while now, hmm.

Back
Top Bottom