Getting rid of tailgaters?

Permabanned
Surely it would kill your gearbox doing that, even if you left the clutch pressed the whole time. Has anyone actually tried it? I'm not going to...

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I just flick my mirror up so they ain't blinding me and ignore them, i also drive more careful and avoid using the brakes just in case numpty rams me. Once an oppurtunity to let him pass comes up i just let him pass. Then i laugh to myself when i am behind him for the next 10 miles, sitting at a safe distance of course. I'm old though so of course i wander all over the road and drive at 25mph even on motorways :)

Soldato
It's a tough one...

If you are a new driver, and want to resolve it without any keyboard warrior tactics..

1. Drive normally, wait for an overtaking opportunity, indicate left, and hope they get the 'message' to overtake..
2. Indicate left, and gently slow down, and pull into the kerb.. (possibly putting your hazards on as you slow down) wait for them to pass, although normally they slow down with you until they 'realise' what you are doing, then they will angrily overtake, but are very very unlikely to do anything other then beep the horn/shout/wheelspin away
3. speed up a fraction, say 34 in a 30, 45 in a 40, as long as you are comfortable with the speed increase, it is extrememly unlikely you will be done for these speeds, as they are within 'guidelines'..

Never try the old brake light test, etc unless you are prepared for the consequences..

I would admit that when I'm 'held' up by someone doing 25 in a 30, I do get a bit agitated after a while, and do tend to drive a little closer.. I know I shouldn't but when you can't overtake, you just want to 'signal' to them that you wish to go faster, and hope they will either speed up, or pull over.. the thing is people rarely do, so in a stupid selfish way I think there is some retribution in 'annoying' them by tailgating, as they are annoying me by driving too slowly.. Stupid and very risky, but I don't think I'm that alone..

On the Motorway, of which I do 80-90 miles a day, If anyone is up my backside and clearly wants to go faster, I always pull over and let them go..
On the other foot, I always hang back behind the person until a 'safe gap' appears and accelerate hard behind them, this gives them a clear indication I want to pass, there is a safe space for them to pull into... works most of the time.. or if repeatedly ignored, undertake at speed!!!...

Man of Honour
Fishman said:
Slowing down is what the highway code says in order to reduce the possibility of a multiway accident and you being sandwiched between the car behind and in front.
Where? I can't find it, I may have missed it.

All I can find is:

144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass.

Man of Honour
Adz said:
Won't that result in gearbox implosion in the majority of cars?
I've only found one car that I can do this with, a 4-speed Mk2 Golf. You could drop it into the reverse slot without engaging which would light up the reverse lights. It depends on the construction of the gearbox and I wouldn't advise it on most cars.

Caporegime
I read on that police forum that was linked on here once, that if you take the number of the tail gater and report him to the police they will visit him. They will then take action against repeat offenders.

It said that tailgating was such a big cause of accidents, with the car ahead speeding up, car trying to overtake crashing or brake testing that they view it very seriously.

Speeding up is never a good Idea, if it goes wrong your at fault too. Small penis syndrome. Pull over and let them pass or maintain speed, when they go for the overtake blend out.

Its really not that tough.

That very same police forum had a copper who witnessed someone touching the brakes, which then caused an accident. The driver in the front was the one arrested.

If your not in a rush, why let it bother you. Better to get home in one piece than worry about your big car small penis ego worries.

Associate
Demon said:
It's a tough one...

If you are a new driver, and want to resolve it without any keyboard warrior tactics..

1. Drive normally, wait for an overtaking opportunity, indicate left, and hope they get the 'message' to overtake..
2. Indicate left, and gently slow down, and pull into the kerb.. (possibly putting your hazards on as you slow down) wait for them to pass, although normally they slow down with you until they 'realise' what you are doing, then they will angrily overtake, but are very very unlikely to do anything other then beep the horn/shout/wheelspin away
3. speed up a fraction, say 34 in a 30, 45 in a 40, as long as you are comfortable with the speed increase, it is extrememly unlikely you will be done for these speeds, as they are within 'guidelines'..

Never try the old brake light test, etc unless you are prepared for the consequences..

I would admit that when I'm 'held' up by someone doing 25 in a 30, I do get a bit agitated after a while, and do tend to drive a little closer.. I know I shouldn't but when you can't overtake, you just want to 'signal' to them that you wish to go faster, and hope they will either speed up, or pull over.. the thing is people rarely do, so in a stupid selfish way I think there is some retribution in 'annoying' them by tailgating, as they are annoying me by driving too slowly.. Stupid and very risky, but I don't think I'm that alone..

On the Motorway, of which I do 80-90 miles a day, If anyone is up my backside and clearly wants to go faster, I always pull over and let them go..
On the other foot, I always hang back behind the person until a 'safe gap' appears and accelerate hard behind them, this gives them a clear indication I want to pass, there is a safe space for them to pull into... works most of the time.. or if repeatedly ignored, undertake at speed!!!...

You must have been taught by the same instructor as me ;). I am the same, like you I don't tailgate but they get the idea that I am annoyed if they are going well below the speed limit. I overtake at the first opportunity, takes a fraction of a second and is better for stress levels all round. I mean who on this planet thinks 15-20mph is a sensible 'speed' to go at (No pensioners answer that ;))?

Luckily most people see my car on the motorway and get out of the way. However, for those 'really stubborn stains' I have to admit that I undertake, far more than I should and yes kids it is very naughty but I find myself in the position more and more frequently where the muppet(s) in front simply cannot figure out what the fast lane is for. I always leave gaps and am not one for flashing lights at people etc, I expect them to be paying attention to their surroundings etc without me having to make them aware that I want through. Again, the only possible justification I can give for doing this so frequently is that it takes literally no time at all to perfom the manouvre in my beast and indicators etc are always, always used. P.S Remember, undertaking is bad mmmkay?

Caporegime
Mr Footlong said:
. P.S Remember, undertaking is bad mmmkay?

Only irritates me when people do it when I'm leaving a safe gap to the car infront at say 80mph. I'm following a line of 10 cars, even if said muppet gets past he has nowhere to go. But still he under takes and slots into my safety gap. Its at those moments I wish I had a camera in my car. I drop back slightly to recreate my gap and wait for the next idiot. ;)

Associate
I agree. While I am not perfect, I try to only do it to the '60mph in the fast lane, yet I am also leaving a 100+ yard gap' types.

/Edit, there are some folks that just drive so dang stupidly that the little angry/baffled voice in my head takes over. Luckily as most will possibly agree, you can spot a lot of those drongos a mile off, almost like an inbuilt muppet radar I think ;).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Try flashing your rear fog lights. this always seems to work :)

I've found flashing brake lights don't tend to do all that much as they could just think

"oh you can tell he hasn't been driving long, he keeps braking"

so either do what others have said and pull over and let them pass, if that isn't an option i would flash my rear fogs 5 times or so, they will probably back off then.

Associate
To the untrained/unprepared eye, I believe that quite a few drivers wouldn't pick up on the fact that it was the rear fog lights being flashed instead of brake lights coming on the first time around quite possibly so I wouldn't see much difference between this and a brake test. I really think the best idea is to safeley let the muppet past if it's an option. Least stress scenario to me at least.

Man of Honour
Surely people realise that slowing down is not going to "get rid" of tailgaters. Neither is flashing brake lights, brake testing, blinding people with fog lights...... all of the above are utterly stupid and more likely to earn you a good shoeing than "getting rid" of the tailgater.

Permabanned
Lopéz said:
Surely people realise that slowing down is not going to "get rid" of tailgaters. Neither is flashing brake lights, brake testing, blinding people with fog lights...... all of the above are utterly stupid and more likely to earn you a good shoeing than "getting rid" of the tailgater.

With all due respect the way you post about people beating you up etc makes you sound like a nervous wreck, I think the word is pessimist?

Soldato
If Im doing 60+, i keep sticking my windscreen washers on, a certain amount of fluid always goes over my car and hits the windscreen of the tailgator. They then have to put their wipers on to clear it. You do it a couple of times and they tend to fall back. Works a treat! Genius! :D

Back
Top Bottom