Getting rid of tailgaters?

Man of Honour
toy_soldier said:
With all due respect the way you post about people beating you up etc makes you sound like a nervous wreck, I think the word is pessimist?
Having met him a few times I can tell you thats not the case. He's just living in the real world.
JonRohan said:
Is tailgating not irresponsible then?
Of course it is, but let me ask you, how does further irresponsibility on the roads help?

I used to slow down. But then I grew up a bit.

Associate
The correct method is to increase the gap between yourself and the car in front, this will give you more time to safely stop, without the car behind you crashing into the rear of your car.

However, when the motorway is extremely busy and idiots in Audi/BMW's drive so close you can see their big bald head, flashing the brake lights may sometimes help. If they still carry on, ramming them off the road usually sorts them out. ;)

Soldato
Gilly said:
Having met him a few times I can tell you thats not the case. He's just living in the real world.
Of course it is, but let me ask you, how does further irresponsibility on the roads help?

I used to slow down. But then I grew up a bit.

Further irresponsibility doesn't and will never help. Breaking heavily, flashing lights will only aggravates a tailgater. If not cause an accident.

I personally just carry on, if its a 60 I'll do 60. etc. Why should people be bullied off the road because somebody is in a rush?

This is an interesting topic. My Canadian girlfriend on numerous occasions has commented on the aggressive, stressful and fast driving on these roads. I hate driving in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
If someone wants to faster than you, just pull over and let them pass.

If you can't pull over, then when you reach a straight part of the road dont floor it and make it difficult, ease off and pull to the left of the road and let the guy past.

I really dont get the moronic attitude of some drivers. I'm doing 30/60/70 so no one is allowed to go faster than me, and I'd rather cause a big accident than let someone past. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Bug One said:
I really dont the moronic attitude of some drivers. I'm doing 30/60/70 so no one is allowed to go faster than me, and I'd rather cause a big accident than let someone past.

Agreed. It's up to others to do what they see fit, trying to dictate what they will and won't do is asking for trouble a lot of the time imo.

Man of Honour
In reality this is not really a situation I've ever had to deal with. If I'm not in a hurry myself (doesn't happen very often, usually only if I'm limping home in an unwell car) and someone hoons up behind me, I let them through.

Like I say though, rare occasion - I used to drive from Wales to Leicester twice a month for nearly 4 years and I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I was overtaken during normal driving conditions.

Man of Honour
A lot of sensible suggestions here, i.e. pulling over, or just proceed as normal, and just slowing down when they over take you (means they can pull in earlier, therefore be exposed to danger for less long (opposite carriageway).

I don't bother with any "tricks" or try and play silly buggers. Well I used to nail it since more often than not I was in a car faster than the one tailgaiting me. But I realise that it was a pretty pathetic thing to do anyway - and I grew up a little.

If they want to drive like a prat and kill themselves or someone else it's not up to me to stop them. I'm not a police officer, I don't enforce the rules. I obviously get somewhat aggrieved when I feel my life is being put into jeopardy however in such cases I make sure that the danger is removed - best way to do that in this non james bond world we live in, is to let the idiot past. Bearing in mind it could just be a panic stricken parent or someone who has had some bad news about a loved one - or some nutter high on amphetamines, you just don't know. What's the point in trying to do something about it which is out of your control?

It's laughable what some people would do - or at least "say" they would do.

Soldato
If it's on a motorway or dual carriageway I pull over to the next lane whenever I can.

Single carriageway roads I slow down, not to stupid speeds, but from 60 to the 45-50 area. This is how I was taught. The reason being not to annoy them, but if anything goes wrong infront of me then I have more time to react and give warning to the person behind and 'control' their braking more coming up to hazards - which they possibly can't see because they're too far up my chuff. As well as that it makes it easier for them to overtake if they want to.

Soldato
Lopéz said:
I've only found one car that I can do this with, a 4-speed Mk2 Golf. You could drop it into the reverse slot without engaging which would light up the reverse lights. It depends on the construction of the gearbox and I wouldn't advise it on most cars.

I've found this works on all the cars i've driven with reverse next to 1st gear, just push the lever across but not actually forwards into gear & the lights come on.

Soldato
I just slow down, but never let them pass me, it drivers some of them bonkers, and I can't help but laugh at them. Drivers like that are total idiots, especially when driving in a built up area, 30mph is plenty for anyone.

Man of Honour
mysticsniper said:
I just slow down, but never let them pass me, it drivers some of them bonkers, and I can't help but laugh at them. Drivers like that are total idiots, especially when driving in a built up area, 30mph is plenty for anyone.
...unless there's a reason they're in a rush. I would have actually killed you if you'd got in my way when I was rushing home after my mum fell down the stairs and passed out from the pain some time ago.

Literally.

Associate
How would you deal with either of the following tailgaiting situations?

1) dual carriageway, outside lane empty, being tailgaited. Exactly which part of the other lane can the other driver not see?

2) long single carriageway road, lots of traffic in both directions flowing at ~55mph. No opportunity to stop without stopping every car behind, no opportunities to overtake. Driver behind still within cuddling distance.

Anybody know of a shop selling blue flashing lights? :D

Man of Honour
MrMoss said:
How would you deal with either of the following tailgaiting situations?

1) dual carriageway, outside lane empty, being tailgaited. Exactly which part of the other lane can the other driver not see?

2) long single carriageway road, lots of traffic in both directions flowing at ~55mph. No opportunity to stop without stopping every car behind, no opportunities to overtake. Driver behind still within cuddling distance.

Anybody know of a shop selling blue flashing lights? :D
Drop a cog and go ;)

Soldato
Gilly said:
...unless there's a reason they're in a rush. I would have actually killed you if you'd got in my way when I was rushing home after my mum fell down the stairs and passed out from the pain some time ago.

Literally.

Even if there was a great reason, you can't justify speeding in a built up area. I sympathize about your mum, but that's the job for the Ambulance crew who are allowed to speed on the roads in an emergency.

You yourself could have caused and even bigger accident on the road. :eek:

Man of Honour
toy_soldier said:
I dont think that you are stupid, but im sure that 9 times out of 10 if you did a brake test or something on a tailgater, they wouldnt assault you and smash your car to bits :confused:
No idea, it's a bloody stupid thing to do so I wouldn't do it anyway. :) A few months ago I watched the aftermath of such an incident where a guy in a Polo who'd been obstructed forced the other chap in a Clio 172 onto the pavement, where he promptly dragged him out of the car by his collar.... no idea what happened after that because the lights changed and I was on the other side of a dual carraigeway, but I don't think they were discussing the weather.

Soldato
mysticsniper said:
Sorry, but drivers like you are the idiots. You actually take peasure about winding someone else up on the road.

You have no idea why that person is in a hurry. They could have no insurance, could have nicked the car, they could be an unmarked police car, or a bloke rushing his pregnant wife to hospital. You may find you do this one to many times and if you antagonise the wrong person, you may just find someone calls your bluff.

Back
Top Bottom