Rocky Balboa

Man of Honour
BigBrisy said:
what is it with all the old movie sequels coming out, i have read he is planning to bring out rambo 4 too, bruce willis has agreed to do die hard 4 and harrison ford is still in talks about doing Indy 4, dont get me wrong i loved the old ones but surely this is taking it too far with all the old codgers

Pension funds. They're cashing in on their major characters one last time. I expect they've all done the necessary stuff to ensure they can live out their lives in the style to which they're accustomed, but I suspect they'd like to give it a massive boost while they still can, just to be on the safe side. I can't see any of them making less than fifty million sterling out of each of these little projects...

Soldato
Scream said:
In real life he's not a no-body as he was the first person to knock Roy Jones out if I remember my boxing correctly.
Aye Antonio Tarver (who played Dixon) is a 2 time world light heavyweight champion! He beat Roy Jones twice, he's probably the most credible real life boxing opponent Rocky's faced!

Well maybe Tommy Morrison was but Rocky 5 stank :p

Soldato
Loved the first 5, but this one was poor.

Everything was rushed, he just pretty much decided out of nowhere that he wanted to fight again. He suddenly became best of friends with that bird and her son. And then all of a sudden his son goes from avoiding rocky to bumming him.

It was a really poor film and the end was a bit of a let down too, i was just like "...oh".

Associate
To be honest anyone saying this film was crap missed the point.

It had nothing to do with boxing.the only reasson he took that fight was for his son to prove a lesson in life.

His son was a bum and he wanted to prove is does not matter how old you are if you want it bad enuth you can still do anything you want.and that life wassant easy ect ect.

There are millions of people that think the world owns them a living and this film proves thats not true and lifes hard END OF.

A great lesson in life this film i loved it.

all the speaches about its not how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. a little over the top i know but there is a lot of truth in that sentance.

you may think im looking to far into the film and getting carried away with myself but i feel im lightyears closed then those of you that thort it was a crap fighting film................

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought you can start watching this film from about 38 minutes to go. The rest is pretty rubbish. The new champ just doesn't seem to have much about him, the character is abit nothingy to me.

The fighting was pretty dull too. I suppose there's no a lot left to do in a boxing film but I thought it just didnt look good. Infact the fight sequences in 3 and 4 looked better.

Did have a chuckle when the ring announcer called out rockys record. 23 defeats :D

Not as bad as 5 but not as good as any of the others either.

Soldato
Enjoyed this up until the end fight. The training scenes were too short and the fight was a complete anti-climax. I just kept thinking 'That surely can't be it, can it?'.

It didn't 'stir' me like other endings in the previous Rocky films.

Don
Saw it last night with the girlfriend (who I had to watch all 5 with the previous week, as she had never seen a Rocky film !!)

Really enjoyed it, purposly hid away from the trailers and reviews. Didn't know about any of the plot lines (Adrian, reasons behind the match, his son). Really thought the plot line was acceptable, and good to watch. Was quite moving for a sly film too !

Good way to finish of the story I thought. Man, if there was only a restaurant like that.... like Ali owned a restaurant and told his stories, how great would that be ?

Soldato
I dunno really, I suppose if you were expecting a 'classic' Rocky with multiple slug-fests and pumped up training montages then you're bound to be disappointed - but if they'd made that film it would have been rubbish due to being totally unrealistic.

I thought it was a good film because it seemed to touch upon what happens to boxers once they're retired, it's not like they're the brightest sparks in the business and there's the element of sadness where even his work in the restaurant seems to be just reliving his golden era and passing time until his is up.

Thought the last fight was spot on as well with a good ending that brought proper closure to the series. :)

Don
One More Solo said:
Yeah, but not the fight. Those fights are essential to the plot moving forward but obviously not the main event.

No but let's be honest here, Rocky is 55 (I believe?) he was never going to start re-training with his injuries (calcium deposits, arthritus e.t.c) He couldn't of managed two fights in one movie, the fight in which we got was definately ample enough, had a few twist and turns (breaking hand, holding on for 3 rounds till it goes numb e.t.c).

Rocky one and two were purely driven on Apollo Creed. His rise from zero, to hero, and then in taking the belt from him in the 2nd. The third fight was with him fighting no bodies, and the death of mick, the 4th was all about the death of Apollo. It was only the 5th and 6th which wasn't about Boxing, training, then making a comback for an exhibition. If you look back at the above plot progression then at the 6th, then it just makes perfect sense in which it all happened in the way it did

Back
Top Bottom