e6300 overclock not performing....

Associate
Hi,

first of all, this is using the spec in my sig.
I had my first experience of overclocking the other day and managed to get my e3600 to 2.8ghz (400x7), I chose this as it was easier to keep my ram at its rated speed to start with.

also i have read that going either side of 400fsb changes the strap you use which reduces performance to some extent (i dont really understand straps!)....

AVOID A 360-399MHz, 401 and 401-460MHZ FSB AT ALL COSTS. If you intend to overclock, get PC2-8000 and push for 475+ for high CPU clocks, or settle with a 400x6/7/8/9 clockspeed depending on your CPU for maximum performance. Not following these guidelines will not only rake your memory bandwidth over the coals, but also introduce SEVERE instabilities as the chipset (Northbridge) tries to run at too great a clockspeed.

Anyway, after getting a successful overclock to 2.8ghz i tested it using the futuremark programs and this is what i got...

Standard clocks
3Dmark06: 5127 Better
3Dmark05: 9948 Better
PCmark05: 5689

O/C to 2.8ghz
3Dmark06: 4303
3Dmark05: 8447
PCmark05: 6301 Better

As you can see, although i saw a good increase in genral performance (PCmark05), I saw a very substancial drop in 3D performance.

My question to evreyone is.... WHY ???????

has anyone else experienced this drop ??

Also i noticed a slight drop in framerates in realtime game playing using fraps. I was under the impression overclocking my rig would make it awsome... not the opposite !!

can anyone help ?

Thanks
Arge

Soldato
Your processor could be throttling, as it's getting too hot so it drops the mutli down and slows down the performance to protect itself.

There is a program called Throttle Watch or something I think.

Also it could be that the northbridge is autoswitching to a loser strap after a certain FSB to remain stable. Not sure how strap losening effects performance in the above applications, only seen how it slows down in number crunching SuperPI.

Is the chipset 965?

Associate
right above 380 fsb there is a snag with the pci-e speed it drops to default x1 insted of x16 the way to defeat this is the south bridge voltage adjust this from auto to 1.8 and try to sneak up from 380 to 385 use cpu-z to check the pci-e speed in the mainboard tab i had this snag ive got my same spec to 3.33ghz

ive a 8800gtx i see 120fps in company of heroes average and 270 max in the highest settings

also flash the new 1004 bios it help with the strap

get rid of the stock cooler and get a zalman 7700cu fan its fab

remember do it in small steps you will soon be at 3 gighz

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@ Mr Mister : The psu is a corsair hx 520w, u think this is ok ?

@ Mekrel : The temps were around 50 under load so i dont think its throttling, will try to find that throttle watch program though.

and yes, its a 965 chipset

@ micky1up : I will try the overclock again and chect the pci-e value, didnt check it before.

also i dont have the stock cooler, i have a freezer 7 pro.

oh yeh, and where can i get the 1004 bios ?? I currently have the 804.

Thanks for the answers guys

Associate
go to http://www.asus.com/ type in your motherboard ie p5b delux and it will show you the downloads also you will need asus update utility download the bios then use the utility to flash from file on computer

make sure you flash the 910 bios then the 1004 you prob will have to restart your overlock from scratch but it wil be easier

i am sure that the prob your having the pci-e speed problem

Associate
OP
micky1up,

I checked in cpu-z and sure enough, it is only running at 1x pci-e speed !!

so i set the southbridge voltage to 1.7v (as 1.8v is max and i dont want to max it!) and re booted at an overclock of 2.8ghz (400x7) but its still showing 1X pci-e speed !!

can u run over the process to sort this again ?

want to re-bench my rig to see the difference the O/C really had !!

Ta

Associate
OP
right, getting fed up now !!

So i overclocked to 333fsb and checked on cpu-z and it showed 16x - all good

then i overclocked to 380fsb and it showed 1x, so i bumped the southbridge voltage right up to 1.8v(max) to Jump start it but booted an it still shows 1x pci-e speed !!

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to force it to run at 16x ??

play with the pci-e frequency ? (currently at 100)

cheers

Soldato
micky1up said:
right above 380 fsb there is a snag with the pci-e speed it drops to default x1 insted of x16 the way to defeat this is the south bridge voltage adjust this from auto to 1.8 and try to sneak up from 380 to 385 use cpu-z to check the pci-e speed in the mainboard tab i had this snag ive got my same spec to 3.33ghz

Cheers for that info.. I've been having the exact same problem with my PC. Made a post but didn't get a reply and its been bugging me for ages! I always left the southbridge voltage on the lowest setting.

My Scores

Might be able to get a higher score now I know the problem! :D

Associate
its a p5b delux problem also try bumping up the ram voltage but i played around with the south bridge voltage and it worked try it a 375 to see if it works there if it duz save it as overclocking profile 1 i have my pci-e freq at 101 and the bus thingy at 33.3 i cant remember the name if you try it it will work justbe patient

Back
Top Bottom