Macbook on a windows-type network - Exchange?

Associate
ah OK, cheers. (I'm not trained in anything networky, I'm here as a temp, until the summer, but they have me doing quite technical things!)

Soldato
OP
Raider said:
Well I just spoke to IT support and their general opinion was "They're not supported, we don't like them, but they are allowed on the network".

So it's looks like we have a green-light. But they did say something odd: "Some people put them on the network and if they start causing problems we will just block them."

They said that they can do weird things like act like a router and start knackering things up on the network. This sounds pretty unlikely, but can anyone think what this might refer to? And how I can avoid it? I can't be banned :(

Can anyone answer my question? :p

Associate
We've not had any problems with the iMac or my MacBook at work. The only niggle is with entourage. It's not working properly because I'm not starting to think that exchange is not set-up correctly!

Soldato
Raider said:
Can anyone answer my question? :p

We don't have any problems of that sort here, and we run a fair mix of PCs and Macs. If you are daft enough to install OS X Server and enable the DHCP Server it might cause issues, but I doubt anyone could do that by accident :p

Associate
On a complete side note... The guy who is our "official mac support guy" walks over points and goes... "Is that mail your using!? You wont get exchange working with that!!". (To our graphic designer, who had entourage open!)

I almost cried with laughter.

Soldato
toy_soldier said:
1, preferably 2gig, for an outlook equivalent?
WTF, if what your saying is true then that is ridiculous.

It's still a PowerPC app so is running under 'emulation' via Rosetta, this eats RAM like it's going out of fashion.. runs fine on a PowerPC with 512MB :)

New version should be out this quarter hopefully :)

Soldato
OP
Do you guys know anything about Macs messing up windows networks?

Like I said my network manager said that in the past some Mac laptops have started doing odd things on the network, and generally screwing things up. If there's anything I need to know to prevent this then it'd be appreciated!

Ta :D

Soldato
Raider said:
Do you guys know anything about Macs messing up windows networks?

Like I said my network manager said that in the past some Mac laptops have started doing odd things on the network, and generally screwing things up. If there's anything I need to know to prevent this then it'd be appreciated!

Ta :D

I answered that up there ^^^ :)

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
I answered that up there ^^^ :)

Ta. I was just wondering if anyone else had any more possible ideas. I just want to be safe that's all. I'll try and contact a colleague who I believe had that problem.

Apparently IT came storming into the lab to say "There's a Mac on the network and it's messing things up!" :p

Soldato
Raider said:
Ta. I was just wondering if anyone else had any more possible ideas. I just want to be safe that's all. I'll try and contact a colleague who I believe had that problem.

Apparently IT came storming into the lab to say "There's a Mac on the network and it's messing things up!" :p

Lol, it sounds like uninformed techies looking for something to blame to me :)

We take our various MacBook/Pros to customer sites and plug them in, I don't recall them ever messing things up :D

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
Lol, it sounds like uninformed techies looking for something to blame to me :)

We take our various MacBook/Pros to customer sites and plug them in, I don't recall them ever messing things up :D

Yeah, sounds fishy for sure.. they're certainly trying their hardest to stop me from buying a Mac :D

Associate
think ill hijack this thread

this entourage is driving me bonkers :(((
One of the graphic designers in the office wanted a mac pro :/ so we got a mac pro =(

Everything seems to be working fine, the mac has network access but I cant setup the damn account. I start up entourage and add a new account.

I use the following settings :

Name : xxxxx
email address : [email protected]
account ID : mgaggero
domain : xxxxxxx
password : password

Exchange server : monaco.xxxxxxx.com

However when I proceed to the 'verify step' it claims it cannot find the exchange server. I can see the contacts if I navigate to the Address Book, I have no email access whatsoever though, and if i try to do a send/receive I get the following error :

HTTP Error. Access to the resource is forbidden

I am soooo stuck :(

Any advice?

Soldato
Is there a reason it's on port 444? I assume you've set the 'Override default DAV port' option in Entourage? We used to get errors about the certificate when our one expired but it didn't actually stop mail from working.

Soldato
If you run Entourage, drop down the Entourage menu and click account settings, double click on your exchange server and in account settings make sure "this dav service requires ssl" is ticked and put 444 in the override port box and tick that one too.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think them network guys are pulling your chain mate.

My guess is they like PCs, and will shun the Mac because they don't like how it works ;)

Back
Top Bottom