What would you do?

Soldato
If you were, or have been in the situation where you had never met a parent(being it mother or father) and you had an opportunity to meet them, or get in touch with them, what would you do? Baring in mind that you would be the one making first contact, and no attempt had been made by the opposite individual.

Associate
Just kidding!

I think I would want to, but would need time to get to find out a lot about them before diving in head strong and going "dad/mum I want you back in my life"

I would also not pre-judge them based on the circumstances but hear them out and decide if I thought they were being genuine and/or sincere

Associate
They were talking about a story like this on Jeremy Vine last week. One woman tried to get into contact with a brother she didn't know she had untill now, but he wanted nothing to do with her. So it could backfire imagine how devastating that would be! :(

Soldato
I'm an only child to a single mother. I see my 'dad' around quite frequently. They were engaged, but he turned rather nasty so my mum told him to stick it. His reply was he didn't want anything to do with me as she was chucking him. Nice bloke.

I've never spoken to him knowingly, and tbh don't think I'm missing anything at all.

He's now married to a miniature Hitler who whupped him into shape.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
MEET THEM!!!!

Seriously, If it turns out crap and you hate them then just contact with them afterwards. What will it hurt just to see if you might like them? :)

Man of Honour
It's obviously different in different circumstances, but the way I see it they're not a parent unless they helped to raise you. They mean no more to me then a stranger in the street, especially if they didn't try to get in contact before.

Burnsy

Permabanned
I'm 30 and I have not seen my "father" since I was 5. Neither of us have made any effort to get in touch with eachother.

I know a little of him, he broke my mum's nose one night, I would have been younger than 5 at the time. He has 2 or 3 other children that know noting about me as far as I know.

He never paid any maintainence until my mum took him to court which was when I was around 10 ish afaik.

I have no interest in seeing the guy.

Soldato
the benefits would out way any pain and suffering that you may endure, you would regain a part of your family (hopefully with time) and would be interesting to know at the least. You will kick yourself forever if you never tried!

Soldato
For all those who say their fathers don't deserve anything because they didn't do anything while they grew up, how do you know that he is still the same person he was 15, 20, 25 years ago? A lot of people do things that they regret when they're young, but get wiser as they get older and realise their mistakes.
You don't necessarily know the circumstances for lack of contact either. It could be that they just don't care, but it could also be that they don't want to interfere in their exs life.

Back
Top Bottom