Using 360 Live at University - How to

Soldato
Heya, I noticed a lot of people in a lot of unis have trouble connecting their 360s to Xbox Live at University. I found that for the majority of people, the problem lay NOT in the blocking of ports.

No, it does indeed lie in the university's "safeguard" system thing. Basically when you connect through with your PC, it registers the MAC address of your PC, that way it stops other people running through the net etc.

However, the terms and conditions generally state it's so that you don't have multiple people using the same connection. You are quite able to bypass this fully within regulations to connect your 360. Here's how.

1. Find the MAC address of your PC. Can't remember where on the PC you can see it, I see it everytime I attempt to access the net anyway though.

2. Somewhere in your 360 settings is the current MAC address of the 360. Change it so that it matches the MAC address of your PC.

Voila, you can now access Xbox Live! :)

Man of Honour
MAC address on PC:

Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all

Most uni's DO block the ports for XBL too so that won't work. <3 Bristol uni. They allow it :)

Edit: A router or a PC with 2 network ports can also bypass it if the ports aren't blocked.

Soldato
OP
Kreeeee said:
MAC address on PC:

Start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig /all

Most uni's DO block the ports for XBL too so that won't work. <3 Bristol uni. They allow it :)

Edit: A router or a PC with 2 network ports can also bypass it if the ports aren't blocked.

Ah there we go :)

Everyone I gave this advice to in various unis had it work as long as they changed the address :)

Caporegime
So taking my own little router/switch with me in September is a waste of time? Or will it just register the switch's MAC address and hence allow anything connected to it through?

Soldato
ic1male said:
So taking my own little router/switch with me in September is a waste of time? Or will it just register the switch's MAC address and hence allow anything connected to it through?

Switches don't have MAC addresses, though if you cloned the PC mac to the 360 and had them both switched on connected to the same switch, things are going to get interesting... (it won't work) A router will probably be against the Uni's T&Cs, though there's no huge reason in theory why it won't work if you registered the WAN port MAC address.

Soldato
Pah if only the security at UWE was as simple as this. They have blocked all ports except 119(why they dont block this i don't know, have they not heard of newsgroups!?) and 80. Even 25 (email) is blocked. Not only that but they've reduced the MTU aswell, i'm not sure what to but its below the xbox live limit i believe. I have tried changing the MAC (alternate MAC? only setting i could find) which didnt help.

I've tried logging onto our network (ResNet) its called on my pc, and using that ip/dns etc. information on my 360, still no good.

It's a very strange system, but someone somewhere has a 360 in this building because once in a while it will pop up in my network...

evidencexj0.jpg

If anyone has any ideas to get this working it'd be great, even if it's just for lan games! There are a few more 360's in the building even if we could play halo over lan it'd be nice. Stupid security grrrr.

Soldato
toy_soldier said:
If they have blocked all ports then there would be no point in getting your Xbox 360 connected, surely though you can still connect on any point locally?

I'm just assuming they blocked all the ports :p . Most apps will not work, even a lot of anti virus updaters wont.

Back
Top Bottom