So I failed my practical today...

Soldato
Unlucky mate, at least you wont make that mistake again, especially if you take that road on every practical. Ive left learning to drive late as well being 23, i decided to get some lessons in as i heard they were making it harder to learn to drive due to all the boy racers about.

Soldato
I'd advise anyone learning to - once confidant - get out and practice at least as many hours as you have tuition preferably more. It's made a massive differance for me.

I'd even go as far as to say that more then two hours tuition per week is a waste of money, as you're effectively paying for practice that you could otherwise have for free!

I was worried that the (Very!) differant car would throw me but it hasn't in fact it's helped because my own car is slightly harder to drive.

My instructor is showing me all of the hard places where they do manoevres, and the particularly nasty junctions but otherwise i think we're just covering as many miles as possible in the given time.

Associate
The Edge said:
I'd advise anyone learning to - once confidant - get out and practice at least as many hours as you have tuition preferably more. It's made a massive differance for me.

I'd even go as far as to say that more then two hours tuition per week is a waste of money, as you're effectively paying for practice that you could otherwise have for free!

I was worried that the (Very!) differant car would throw me but it hasn't in fact it's helped because my own car is slightly harder to drive.

My instructor is showing me all of the hard places where they do manoevres, and the particularly nasty junctions but otherwise i think we're just covering as many miles as possible in the given time.

Pretty much my point :D

As for more than 2 hours per week it does largly depend on the pupil, some benefit and some don't. I advise pupils who want to get there license rapidly to drive there socks off when not getting a lesson, also I tend not to let people go more than twice a week and if they are not improving from one lesson to the next in the week then I tell them to save there cash, some poeple need a little more time for the lesson to 'sink in' and additional practice etc.

Soldato
Dashik said:
Pretty much my point :D

As for more than 2 hours per week it does largly depend on the pupil, some benefit and some don't. I advise pupils who want to get there license rapidly to drive there socks off when not getting a lesson, also I tend not to let people go more than twice a week and if they are not improving from one lesson to the next in the week then I tell them to save there cash, some poeple need a little more time for the lesson to 'sink in' and additional practice etc.
Thats true for me, i find i keep making the same small mistake during a lesson but the next week i dont make the same mistake as its sunk in.

I wish i could get some practice in but my mum doesn't drive and my dad drives a merc sprinter, which i think will be a bit too different to drive than a car :D . I keep having cravings to just jump in a car and drive down to ASDA of all places :confused: :D .

Permabanned
MarkLP said:
Don't worry i've just failed mine! Can't believe it though. Doing the reverse around corner lowered curb, went up over it and dropped down. If I had pulled forward and done it again it would have been fine. Other then that 7 minors. So miffed off though :mad:

I had mine on Monday, drove great, only 4 minors one of which was for one of the questions they ask you at the beginning, then I failed for touching the kerb on my parallel park! Gutted doesnt describe it lol. I usually do fine on parallel parking aswell!

Caporegime
was this your first test ?

if so dont worry. most people make a silly mistake on their first test

mine was comming off the roundabot onto a dual carriageway, and indicating right to indicate i was moving into the right hand lane just as i reached the exit point

this would have been fine, had i singnalled left that i was comming off the roundabout in the first place :o

like i said, we all do it.

Permabanned
RoB- said:
I didn't think touching the kerb was a fail, mounting it is a different matter. I hit the same one 3 times on my reverse turn and passed.

Yea, I suppose I went onto the kerb (it was lowered), I did feel it but because it was low I thought it was a grate for some reason, expensive mistake :(

Bri

Bri

Soldato
I failed my 1st test on reversing round a corner, for some reason I fluffed it, even though I'd done that exact corner on a lesson :mad: Instead of doing it again, I just kind of sat there & shrugged lol!

I got 3 minors for getting too close to parked cars. I'm kind of glad I did mess up the left reverse, if I'd have failed for the parked cars I'd have been furious! I mean, I can't have been that close, I didn't hit the bloody thigs :D

Passed 2nd time with 3 minors :cool:

Soldato
Bri said:
I failed my 1st test on reversing round a corner, for some reason I fluffed it, even though I'd done that exact corner on a lesson :mad: Instead of doing it again, I just kind of sat there & shrugged lol!

I got 3 minors for getting too close to parked cars. I'm kind of glad I did mess up the left reverse, if I'd have failed for the parked cars I'd have been furious! I mean, I can't have been that close, I didn't hit the bloody thigs :D

Passed 2nd time with 3 minors :cool:
Yeah my driving instructor told me that if you mess up explain to the examiner what you've done wrong and then correct it and you may just get a minor and not a fail.

I keep messing up the parallel parking because the reference point keeps changing :mad: . I am quite tall so have to move the seat back when i get in the driving seat so my reference points are different to the instructors which makes things hard. But for some reason they keep changing. He tells me to put 1 turn on as soon as the kerb disappears in the wing mirror so i do and when the car swings in I'm a mile from the kerb. Then the next lesson i do the same and nudge the kerb.

Back
Top Bottom